Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £30 for a remote ? :eek::eek::eek:
  • Diamandis
    Options
    This is one of the best threads I have read in ages.

Have you considered calling 999?
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    I've had fake power supplies for laptops from amazon marked as genuine.

I contacted the seller to resolve and recived a genuine, and I also left review to that effect after the new one was received.

Have you contacted the seller?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • KanalVictor
    Options
    Thanks to those who posted. My initial reaction to the first replies here is why is everyone so strongly denying there is a possibility an amazon seller sold a fake?

Anyway, I never said it IS a fake, just that it IS different and APPEARS to be fake. A possible logical explanation for the denial would be that people posting are sellers. As described by one poster later, could also be that many buyers wish to believe they are never buying fakes when they pay 40-60% of retail prices. I was just surprised at the reactions and looking for an explanation.

As far as being foolish for disagreeing with posters who have 1000's of post. Have not yet got off the floor laughing at that one but it's not the first time I've heard the hilarious suggestion. Do you ask your doctor how many forum posts they have before they operate on you? It's true many high-post-count folk on MSE have been very helpful on the debt boards etc but as on most forums high post count is definitely not a measure of wisdom or sensibleness or even sanity.

The idea you should take the sum of comments and draw conclusion from it is also IMO false [but interesting that so many think that]. The 2017 version of some psycholology research about behaviour of crowds and/or peer pressure?

Finally my previous comment:
    Having lived in another EU country where people complain complain complain until the gov and companies fix stuff, my ongoing feeling about lots of things here is that broken britain is an accurate monniker.

This did [and does not] suggest UK is broken because folk are allowed to sell fake remotes. But more generally that the UK is broken because folk do not bother to pursue anything sufficiently aggressively or to it's conclusion. And/or they are [allow themselves to be] thwarted by the authorities. And yes all that that contributes to slum-style-fire-dangerous housing, the universal credit rollout-disaster and the like.

My OP was a question whether there's any point to make effort to put right the wrong of selling a product which appears fake. No-one answered that except somone who said trading standards don't deal with consumers. This is not true, they have processed a complaint from me in the last year.

The answer was mostly we don't believe it's fake.

With respect to the remote. There are 5 or 6 remotes from the same seller which all have the same product code are all described as genuine and have prices ranging from 10 to 60. Perhaps they are the versions sold in different countries but assuming they are not identical this is at best unhelpful both from Panasonic and the seller.

My conclusion on the remote is 1. I won't be using Amazon again, 2. I'm not going to have a new remote the same as the one I like unless I happen upon a used one in a charity shop, 3. I still haven't decided whether I can be bothered to contact Panasonic about this [which probably means I won't].

Whether I can be bothered to continue making an effort complaining about other more important parts of the broken UK system or join the apathetic masses and conclude it IS futile, I havn't decided yet. Probably easier to re-emigrate.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably easier to re-emigrate.

I agree. I usually do the same with a minor consumer issue.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    £30 for a remote ? :eek::eek::eek:
    My fancy super dooper harmony remote cost just over £100 although thinking of it, that is probably just under £30 in wifey* pounds

*I believe wifey pounds have a similar exchange rate to hubby pounds when handbags are being purchased :D
  • KanalVictor
    Options
    My fancy super dooper harmony remote cost just over £100 although thinking of it, that is probably just under £30 in wifey* pounds

*I believe wifey pounds have a similar exchange rate to hubby pounds when handbags are being purchased :D

Well that grabbed my interest.
    The !!!!!! may-or-may-not-be-panasonic one is on its way back.

So which one is it and why would I like the 300 quid one :A:A
    https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-universal-remotes

I have always found Logitech to be good quality so that's a good start. Am using their stuff to type now.
    The950 has the look of an old Nokia mobile .. the classic one before M$ ruined it.

[30 quid for something you use daily for 5 years is bout tuppence a day. Being rich I reckon can afford 20p a day :rotfl:. ]
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well that grabbed my interest.
    The !!!!!! may-or-may-not-be-panasonic one is on its way back.

So which one is it and why would I like the 300 quid one :A:A
    https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-universal-remotes

I have always found Logitech to be good quality so that's a good start. Am using their stuff to type now.
    The950 has the look of an old Nokia mobile .. the classic one before M$ ruined it.

[30 quid for something you use daily for 5 years is bout tuppence a day. Being rich I reckon can afford 20p a day :rotfl:. ]

And it's currently only £205 ......... on Amazon :rotfl::rotfl:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514579384&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+harmony+elite
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    I got the hub and elite remote control when they were on sale.

It’s a cracking bit of kit, I have it set up to include all my kit including tv, dvd, roku, etc etc and if the remote is just toooooo far away I can control them all by voice through my echo or via my mobile.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Anyway, I never said it IS a fake, just that it IS different and APPEARS to be fake..

What are the first 3 words from the title of this thread?

"fake from Amazon."
    To me, that's about as clear as it could be about stating that you received a fake.

Then there is this comment:
    I assume the seller [and AMAZON] are fully aware that they are shipping fakes
    Again, a clear cut statement, "they are shipping fakes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport