EBICO prepayment Electricity supply

2»

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Xbigman wrote: »
    As far as I am aware if you buy credit for a prepayment meter it is just that, an amount of money in credit. It is not a guarantee of a tariff. Once a new tariff starts you are on that tariff. When the energy company eventually reads the meter they will work back the bill to the date the tariff started and charge you accordingly.

Darren

I think you are correct about the 'legality' of the issue. Many of us with credit meters are well in credit at the time of a tariff price rise and an estimated meter reading is used to start the new unit price, and the date determines any change in the daily standing charge.

However my gut feeling is that the OP's ruse will work as such an unusual situation(huge credit) will not be catered for by the software, and they rarely resort to 'manual' calculation of accounts.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you load up credit on the meter, when you do finally insert the key, won't it then calculate the backdated standing charge from the date of the change and deduct it, so that all you are doing is delaying it?
  • I had originally written above in my first post on this thread it was my intention to Switch to the Spark Protected tariff (until June 2018) it has a Pay as you go Unit rate of 15.43 pence per kWh and a Standing charge of 14.70 pence per day applicable for my particular region / area of the country.
    Turns out that Spark Energy cannot switch me across because quote 'i have the wrong type of PAYG meter'. This is a blessing in disguise because:

LOW USAGE PAYG TARIFF
    I have therefore now decided to make the switch to eversmart energy.
    Based on their low usage, no standing charge, PAYG tariff at 15.44 pence per Kwh applicable to my particular region / area. This is the nearest unit price that i found to the one that I presently use. It also suits my need to avoid paying a daily standing charge.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Globtrot4 wrote: »

LOW USAGE PAYG TARIFF
    I have therefore now decided to make the switch to eversmart energy.
    Based on their low usage, no standing charge, PAYG tariff at 15.44 pence per Kwh applicable to my particular region / area. This is the nearest unit price that i found to the one that I presently use. It also suits my need to avoid paying a daily standing charge.

Given the new regulations for PAYG tariffs, if lots follow your example, I wonder how long before Eversmart Energy withdraw this PAYG tariff and start charging a Daily Standing Charge.(DSC)

As Ebico are a non-profit organisation, and took pride in giving the same unit rate with no DSC, regardless of payment method, I can't help thinking they must have a good reason for withdrawing the no DSC for PAYG.
  • The topic within this particular thread started because there is a section of the general public who use a low amount of electricity, whether it be for reasons of a gradual renovation of a house or travel away from home for extensive periods of time or a host of other reasons. Hence a tariff with no standing charge is ideal.
    Eversmart Energy offer this type of tariff only for those who have an annual low usage of Kwh. They also feature a range of other tariffs in their portfolio for average to higher usage that does have a daily standing charge.
    How long a particular tariff can like this can remain in place for those of us who do sign up is anybody's guess.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Surely Eversmart are governed by the same rules as everyone else and their no SC tariff is living on borrowed time.
    I think a more long term solution needs to be found.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts