MSE News: Summer Budget 2015: Insurance premium tax to rise

2»

Comments

• magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is insurance PREMIUM tax - so it is paid by the person paying the premium.

Insurers are taxed on profits - and if the Chancellor had wanted them to pay, he could have imposed a windfall tax, as happened to the banks.

It is therefore quite clear that he intended it to be paid by consumers not businesses.
  • Level playing field for everyone though I guess, i.e. all individuals and businesses are affected alike.
  • Rossim1985
    Rossim1985 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As an Insurance Broker myself working in the Property Owners market I am really really not looking forward to this! It's also going to coincide with changes to Pool Re Terrorism cover, where client's will now have to include VAT in their sum insured regardless of whether the underlying buildings policy requires the client to insure for this or not. A 20% jump in the sum insured combined with the additional tax is not going to go down well at all. :mad:

All this tax will do is put more and more pressure on premiums and brokers earnings (as if there wasn't enough already)! After doing this job for some 5 years now, the impression I get is that the general public seem to think that if a broker earns anything more than about 10% commission that it is somehow scandalous!! I suppose most of the general public don't know though that it's actually the brokers that do most of the work (especially when you have delegated authority arrangements). All the insurer has to do is debit the premium and (maybe) pay a claim every now and again!

As said above though, at least it's a level playing field for everyone.
  • Recent mutterings in the press suggests George Osborne feels insurers are capable of absorbing the IPT increase due to savings on corporation tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure