Help! Accepted one job, better one offered - Moral issue

Hello lovely people, I have a bit of a moral/life dilemma and the moment and want advice.

I'd like to think I'm a good person and have some morals, one being I do not like banks/large business and want to live in a world where both don't exist.

Problem is the reality of life. I've got back from travelling a couple of months ago expecting to be able to get straight back in to work and have not been able to. Also I came back from travelling because one of my parents has terminal cancer and I need to get a car and be able to support the rest of my family by having the money to use it, get people to the house for visits in this time and soon for hospital and then hospice visits.

Right now I don't have much (£300) left in savings after not being able to get straight back into work.

Good thing is I've been offered a good job at the highest wage I've ever been offered with a really nice company at nearly 20k a year which I have accepted a I start on monday. I stopped looking but a week ago got a call from an agent who I let speak out of politeness and was just to say sorry I don't want to waste your time when I heard the offer for the job was
£150 a day.

So this job is with a bank, similar role to what I was doing before and not part of the general banking structure which I don't support, a little different. I did the interview without making any decisions on what I'd do if they said yes, for the experience (i'd recommend go to as many interviews as you have possible if you have the time, they are all valuable and prepare you for these quite nervous situations) and it went very well and I have now been offered the role at £125 a day, a a little less than previously mentioned starting 3 weeks after the initial job I've accepted.

My dilemma's are: -

1) Should I work for a bank vs. a really good, ethical company
2) If I accept this other offer with the bank, I'll be breaking a contract I've already signed with the original company
3) For me money wise the best thing would be to work the first few weeks of training with the first company and make the money from that, then cut and switch to the new company. It means I can use the money to get my stuff together and get a car without any gap

Please let me know what you think. The different in pay is 20k in the first job to 32-33k in the second with the bank. What would you do ideally vs. what would you really do if you were in my situation?

Comments

• bailliebhoy
    bailliebhoy Posts: 14 Forumite
    you have to do whats best for you and your family, if that means having a higher income and being able to shoulder more-perhaps the higher paying position?
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Are they both roles permanent or not?
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Prothet_of_Doom Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Which one will be most fun ?
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was offered a job at a firm that I thought was morally dubious. I was having an internal debate about it and was then told the day rate.

No way in hell could I turn that down I was fully expecting to hate it, but was more than pleasantly surprised.

Great culture and far form being morally bankrupt, great people and lots of projects with a number of them making a positive difference to the world.

Golden rule look after yourself and your own always.
  • JobDilemma wrote: »
    Hello lovely people, I have a bit of a moral/life dilemma and the moment and want advice.

I'd like to think I'm a good person and have some morals, one being I do not like banks/large business and want to live in a world where both don't exist.

P

sorry but I think you're going to need a time machine if you want to live in such a world.

That said I think you should take the job that you feel you'll be happiest in - and remember money isn't the bee all and end all of things
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I think it's a gamble and there's no right or wrong decision in this case.

I've accepted a job offer in a place that I thought was friendly, professional and focused on people, and canceled two interviews with high street banks. I regret it now, although I was so happy I got this job in the beginning...it's simply not what I expected at all.

P.S. I wouldn't choose an option three if I were you.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JobDilemma wrote: »
    3) For me money wise the best thing would be to work the first few weeks of training with the first company and make the money from that, then cut and switch to the new company. It means I can use the money to get my stuff together and get a car without any gap
    So let me get this straight, you're happy to let a company train you, fully expecting to leave after the first few weeks of training have finished.

And you say you have morals?

It's your choice, but if you go for option 3, do check the contract very very carefully, because some companies - not unreasonably - require you to stay for a certain amount of time OR to repay the costs of training.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JobDilemma wrote: »

Strange outlook on life. We need big business regardless of if you like it or not and big companies have the same capacity to be moral/immoral as a small business. Some small businesses treat their staff and/or customers like dirt.

I also find it amazing how people have the morals of a saint until money is involved. Seems everyone has a price.

Can I ask, is this a perm role or will you be a contractor? It would make a massive difference to my answer. I personally wouldn't consider a contracting role until they were paying a minimum of twice what I could earn as a perm employee. You lose a lot of perks being a contractor so the salary has to make up for that. If they're both perm I'd say the salary is high enough on the second job to make it worth it.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    The pay per day may be more but the other would give you a challenge. Plus the problem with the agency one is it might not be permanent (agencies lie through there teeth to get you through the door and you haven't said if it is a long term role) but neither are secure until 2 years on. i would do the one you enjoy best though
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    The NHS is the 3rd biggest employer in the word,

That's a big business you want to live without.

Big business make cars, still happy to run one.

Oil companies are big business making the fuel to run your car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport