Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 5
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 28th Jul 09, 9:04 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    hi everyone, I'm in the process of trying to book a family hol, 2 kids, 2 adults, in April 2010, going for 13 nights....I'm trying to get my head around the park tickets. as firsttimers, we think we'll probably do disney A LOT, and a one day trip to the space centre - is there anything else I'd be mad to miss? We completely appreciate that it is impossible to see it all..in fact our kids are 5 and 2 so we just want to do stuff that suits them now - e.g. save something like universal for when they're older and we perhaps return in future...so am i best doing one of the walt disney 5 or 7 day passes? these seem to be about £240 an adult?

and here is the thing no one has managed to so far answer. we're away for 13 nights - DD turns 3 on the 10th day of the holiday - therefore needing a ticket from that point i believe...now we intend on taking advantage whilst she's cheap and doing most the expensive stuff before her birthday....but do they even check the age of a child formally or just take what you say at face value..so could she be a pretend 2 the whole time?
    .and the snag is, we'd actually quite like her to spend her birthday at Disney..so when she's walking around with her I AM 3 badge on it'll be a tad obvious i feel! so do we buy her a single day ticket? and how much is that anyway?

any advice will be very gladly receieved!!! complete disney novice!
    thanks in advance
    deeley xx
    Originally posted by deeleybopper

I think that Disney base the age at the start of your trip so if your 1st visit to DW the child is 2 then they would be free for the duration of your tickets IYSWIM... alternatively if you take her passport to DW on her birthday they are doing free entry this year... or if they already have a ticket you can pick from a selection of other gifts like a FP for your group or a birthday gift card up to the value of park entry.

sorry just seen 2010 so think the birthday offer is only running this year
    Bit of a Florida Fan
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
  • mdkdue
    Hi All

Has anyone flown Gatwick to Sanford with Thomas Cook recently? Just wondering what the flight/service/food/entertainment, etc was like. Would appreciate any feedback

only 24 days to go
    Originally posted by Lynneth
    Hi

We flew with them last Nov from Gatwick. Im afraid to say it wasn't the best experience ever. Not alot of legroom, no 'comforts' on the plane (unlike Thomson who give you a pack with pillow, ear plugs, blanket , headphones etc..). Seat layout was 3/3/3 which i dont like, especially if you are travelling as a couple as it means you always have someone next to you, food was average too. Plus we got charged excess baggage on the way back too, which sucked, but to be honest i think that was more down to the airport than Thomas Cook.

Overall, it wasnt bad, but i have had better, in paticular Thomson, who we went with the year before.

This year we are flying with BA, which should be better.
    • Trillionaire
    • By Trillionaire 28th Jul 09, 12:53 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Trillionaire
    Hi again.

We paid £1290 for flight & car for 2 adults and 1 child age 7.

We are flying with United and leave on 14th December and leave USA 28th and get back to UK 29th Dec.

We have 1 stopover in the USA going and the same coming back. Each stopover is for about 1hr each.
    I hope my comment helps
    • Trillionaire
    • By Trillionaire 28th Jul 09, 2:03 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Trillionaire
    Hi. Is it worth buying the Florida maps and taking my satnav with me?

Would I be able to plug it into the cigar lighter in my hire car (ie are they standard cigar lighters like the UK)?
    I hope my comment helps
  • heartsfanno1
    Disney world
    Hi I'm going to Orlando with my wife and my parents in October and were getting the Orlando flexi ticket but would like to do a day at disney. were thinking Animal Kingdom for the 1st half and magic kingdom for the 2nd to see the fireworks. I cant seem to find 1 day park hopper tickets on the disney site only expensive 5 day premium tickets.

Does anyone know how much a 1 day park hopper ticket is at the gate?

thanks

Also does anyone know where we can hire a jeep - preferably a Dodge Durango for quite cheap?
    • Trillionaire
    • By Trillionaire 28th Jul 09, 3:48 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Trillionaire
    Yes - ebay!!! I've seen some good deals there from sellers with 100% feedback and a high number of freeback (I'm talking 300+).
    I hope my comment helps
    • atro1
    • By atro1 28th Jul 09, 4:33 PM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    atro1
    heartsfanno1
    http://www.usrentacar.com/ for the jeep.
    http://ticketmania.com/store/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&number_of_upload s=0 for the one day hopper, but it will be about $5 less at the gate.
    I have never brought tickets from Ebay, it would be to risky for me.! The only way you can check them is in Disney centers.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • NickyDee
    Seriously considering a trip over Christmas, but can't seem to find much flight availability, or package holidays in a villa over this period?
    Never assume. When you assume, you make an aşş out of u and me...
    • Trillionaire
    • By Trillionaire 28th Jul 09, 8:33 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Trillionaire
    NickyDee did you try kayak.com?
    I hope my comment helps
  • NickyDee
    NickyDee did you try kayak.com?
    Originally posted by Trillionaire
    Around £700 indirect and £1200 direct, ouch!
    Never assume. When you assume, you make an aşş out of u and me...
  • Lynneth
    Hi. Is it worth buying the Florida maps and taking my satnav with me?

Would I be able to plug it into the cigar lighter in my hire car (ie are they standard cigar lighters like the UK)?
    Originally posted by Trillionaire

Yes, and yes.

But we've found them invaluable bacause 2007 and 2008 were "road trip" holidays.

Back to Florida for 2009
    • eripmav
    • By eripmav 28th Jul 09, 11:30 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    eripmav
    Or if you can find a Walmart over there when you get the car, buy one of the Satnavs there. Cheaper than buying US maps here by far and you can either then keep it or flog it on Ebay on your return!
    Bankrupt 28/07/08!
    • Trillionaire
    • By Trillionaire 29th Jul 09, 12:03 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Trillionaire
    Thanks (I've pressed both your thx buttons)
    I hope my comment helps
  • Marine Boy
    I've managed to convince the family (2+2) to take a trip to Orlando next year (probably after UK school holidays, so around mid-late September time). I have a good friend who owns a house out there, so accommodation is covered. I reckon I can get cheap flights and car by doing some Google searching.

But the one thing that I find shocking is the cost of entry to parks. I'm looking at a few days in Disney, a few at Universal and also visiting some of the better water parks. Adding that lot up comes to more than the cost of the holiday! Amazing!

I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone wants to offer on best way and place to buy entry tickets. After a few hours research on the net I still find the subject confusing. So many different variations and prices! Any thoughts gratefully received. Many thanks.
    • rixy74
    • By rixy74 29th Jul 09, 1:04 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rixy74
    Hello all we we are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 11 and 3.

we have booked and paid for everything the villa the park tickets car hire and we have even bought the currancey from crown currancey and got a rate of $1.67, but in dollers we are taking just over $2000 for 2 weeks from the 3rd - 17th sept (only 5 weeks left).

I am starting to worry we are not taking enough cash. we dont spend big but we dont want to go on away and then start cooking.

so do yo think we are taking enough cash?

What do most other familys take?

Where should we eat to save money but is good? (We are staying in Kissamee)

is it worth buying a cheep sat nav off ebay? ( A make i have never seen before) but has maps for usa and uk then selling mine :confused:

One last question
    are the parks busy when we go or is it off one ride onto another?

Sorry about all the questions but any help would be great
    Thanks
    Peter
    Last edited by rixy74; 29-07-2009 at 2:56 PM.
    • NoreenOMS
    • By NoreenOMS 29th Jul 09, 1:53 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoreenOMS
    NON parks and shopping activites to do in Orlando
    Hi all, I am due to go to Orlando in September- 1st time.

We plan to do all of the Disney parks & Seaworld- none of the Universal ones due to cost, and wanting to make the most of our Disney tickets. We also plan to do some of the main shopping mails.

My question is based around not wanting to come home thinking, is parks & shopping all there is?

Is there anything else you would recommend us doing in Orlando? (other than something like swimming with Dolphins- husband not that keen).

Also, other than Ponder Rosa & Sizzler, which restaurants are best? (We are staying at Holiday Inn ID)

We are a couple of 25yrs & 33yrs.

Ta muchly!!
    • Weggy
    • By Weggy 29th Jul 09, 2:34 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Weggy
    I am starting to worry we are not taking enough cash. we dont spend big but we dont want to go on away and then start cooking.

Where should we eat to sve money but is good? (We are staying in Kissamee)
    Originally posted by rixy74
    What's wrong with a bit of food at home? You barely even need to cook - we sometimes just grab a cooked chicken at Walmart and then do some microwave rice and salad to go with it, or some tortilla wraps. Yes it's nice to eat out but we find also nice to just chill out round the pool, with some easy food and a beer or two...
    • rixy74
    • By rixy74 29th Jul 09, 3:10 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rixy74
    Hi Weggy

It sounds Geat to me but when i said somthing like that to her in doors the responce went somthing along the lines of "dont think i will be doing the washing up ........................"

2 hrs later after the lecture had finished i said "ok Whats for tea" she didnt see the funny side
  • Mikepcon
    Hi all, I am due to go to Orlando in September- 1st time.

We plan to do all of the Disney parks & Seaworld- none of the Universal ones due to cost, and wanting to make the most of our Disney tickets. We also plan to do some of the main shopping mails.

My question is based around not wanting to come home thinking, is parks & shopping all there is?

Is there anything else you would recommend us doing in Orlando? (other than something like swimming with Dolphins- husband not that keen).

Also, other than Ponder Rosa & Sizzler, which restaurants are best? (We are staying at Holiday Inn ID)

We are a couple of 25yrs & 33yrs.

Ta muchly!!
    Originally posted by NoreenOMS
    We did similar last time we went. Disney, Busch Gardens and SeaWorld.
    I was disappointed with Busch, but loved all the others and didnt come back thinking "is that all there is". We also went on an airboat ride at Boggy Creek which was great.
    We ate mainly at our Hotel or Ponder Rosa, Wendys and Dennys. All were very good and reasonably priced.

This time we are doing Disney, Universal and Gatorland.
    Universal tickets were only $99 each for a week unlimited.
  • Mikepcon
    Hello all we we are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 11 and 3.

we have booked and paid for everything the villa the park tickets car hire and we have even bought the currancey from crown currancey and got a rate of $1.67, but in dollers we are taking just over $2000 for 2 weeks from the 3rd - 17th sept (only 5 weeks left).

Where should we eat to save money but is good? (We are staying in Kissamee)

is it worth buying a cheep sat nav off ebay? ( A make i have never seen before) but has maps for usa and uk then selling mine :confused:

One last question
    are the parks busy when we go or is it off one ride onto another?

Sorry about all the questions but any help would be great
    Thanks
    Peter
    Originally posted by rixy74
    My kids are older and we are taking $2400 so $2000 should be ok.

Dont know about how busy the parks are when you go (we are going in August), but I would imagine the queues will still be pretty bad. The whole fastpass setup works very well though. Get a fastpass for one ride, go and do a few other things (eg 3d show) and before you know it you can get another fastpass and your first one is ready to use.
    Never quite understood why people would stand in the non-fastpass queues for hours.

As for US maps. I believe on TomTom it may well be possible to get them very cheaply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

6,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin