Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 4
    • Squish_21
    • By Squish_21 23rd Jul 09, 12:30 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Squish_21
    Atro, thanks for your helpful response.
    Squish
    • Trillionaire
    • By Trillionaire 23rd Jul 09, 8:34 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Trillionaire
    Hi. We're booked to go in December for 14 nights. We haven't booked out accommodation yet but I was thinking of doing this through ebay. Is that risky? Has one booked accommodation through ebay and everything turned out ok?

Also, not sure where to buy the Disney passes. Any suggestions? As our holiday cover the Christmas period and I don't think the parks are open? Even if they are - we are not going Christmas Day!!!! So thinking of getting us (me, hubby and son) 7 day passes. Are 10 day passes available?

My hubby is verrrrrrrrry excited. We haven't told our son yet (he might expire from excitement way before we go if we did).
    I hope my comment helps
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 23rd Jul 09, 9:15 PM
    • 32,173 Posts
    • 211,357 Thanks
    FloFlo
    Parks are open everyday Xmas is one of their busiest times.

I have bought tickets in the past from www.attractionticketsdirect.co.uk they are usually competively priced and reliable.

Personally I wouldn't buy accommodation from ebay.

There is a great forum about visiting Florida and Disney www.thedibb.co.uk
    • miken
    • By miken 24th Jul 09, 8:55 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    miken
    Near International Drive Self Catering
    Looking for a four (4) bed property near International Drive for next June 2010.
    Love to know if anyone can suggest some good sites for me to check on.
  • sgm6670
    The site I always use for villas and have never been disappointed is justflorida.com

They listen to your requirements and then match the villa to you and their prices are great!
  • ailuro2
    Trillionaire - we are going for a fortnight at Chrsitmas too.

I'd steer clear of e-bay, simply because I wouldn't take the risk on a holiday as big a this, and because it's a very very busy time of year, so trying to get alternative acocmmodation organised at that time of year could be a trial. I've not been before so wouldn't be willing to take the risk.

We got 14 day Ultimate passes so we can go to Disney in the morning and then bail out once it gets really busy (Christmas is the park's busiest time - think about it, most of the world is on holiday then!) they were a bit cheaper for real tickets from www.undercovertourist.com Steer clear of the sites that seem ridiculously cheap - they ar elikely to involve timeshare presentations.

We got a 4 bed villa with heated pool for about £1200 thorugh www.villarenters.com we have used them before and they have a third party company for communication, money handling etc, so no probs with currency exchanging with owner (been there, done that when we went to Cananda , it would seem that some owners can't process banker's drafts even when they're sent in their own currency:rolleyes

To make the most of your holiday I'd suggest getting a guide book of some kind to help plan your holiday (picking up on your comment on parks closing at Crimbo) from all the 'homework' I've done it seems to be better to plan things before you go to make the most of the time you have there, iyswim, instead of queueing in the busiest times and missing out on things.
    Last edited by ailuro2; 24-07-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
    • atro1
    • By atro1 24th Jul 09, 11:35 AM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    atro1
    Hi. We're booked to go in December for 14 nights. We haven't booked out accommodation yet but I was thinking of doing this through ebay. Is that risky? Has one booked accommodation through ebay and everything turned out ok?

Also, not sure where to buy the Disney passes. Any suggestions? As our holiday cover the Christmas period and I don't think the parks are open? Even if they are - we are not going Christmas Day!!!! So thinking of getting us (me, hubby and son) 7 day passes. Are 10 day passes available?

My hubby is verrrrrrrrry excited. We haven't told our son yet (he might expire from excitement way before we go if we did).
    Originally posted by Trillionaire
    Christmas day the Magic Kingdom shuts---because it is to full. So get there early . The atmosphere is magical. But most of the resaurants on the 192 and I.Drive are still open.
    Certainly would not use Ebay for accommodation. Try http://www.lastminutevillas.net/
    or sign up to the Dibb http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php and put your request in their villa section you will be surprised by the amount of replies you will receive!
    As for tickets and passes have a look at the first page of this thread. Crabman has given a whole list of sites to trawj through. Generally there is not one site that is cheapest for all. But ATD [http://www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/ ] is one of the better sites has a price promise not that they always honour that!! Beware of some of the American sites they tend to put the tax on at the end. So the cheap ticket becomes expensive.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • SmileyS
    Just a quickie what's the score with entering America with a crim record how far does it go back and is it only certain crimes like sex offences assaults and drugs charges
    cheers
  • nw_man
    Just a quickie what's the score with entering America with a crim record how far does it go back and is it only certain crimes like sex offences assaults and drugs charges
    cheers
    Originally posted by SmileyS
    You have to apply for ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c9ABF3C4A-0B4B-96DD-90D6-4A2608607013_k2F5DC955-643F-FE7D-63DF-7BC4DECF0EF0

However, you may not be eligible and would therefore have to get a visa.
  • SmileyS
    Does everyone have to fill one of these in,and what if you don't
    cheers
    Plus do you need a new chipped passport as i do not have one mine is 6 years old
    thanks
  • Lynneth
    Does everyone have to fill one of these in, if you have a British passport but don't have a Visa then yes (applies to other nationalities too: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp3.html for details), and what if you don't you may be denied entry to the USA
    cheers
    Plus do you need a new chipped passport as i do not have one mine is 6 years old no, it needs to be either machine readable or chipped - as long as it has the <<<<<<<<blah blah<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< on the bottom line of the id page it is machine readable. http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/content_multi_image_0021.shtm#3

thanks
    hth

only 26 days to go
  • smallpo
    Port Orleans or Carribbean Beach?
    Hi. I am looking to stay in one of these disney hotels to get the free dining plan and am having trouble deciding.

At PO I think I would pick the riverside over the french quarter - is the r/s the newer area? CB looks very nice, but I have heard some people say your room can be very far from the main area. I'm not worried about the walk, but if we are a long way from the bus stop I am worried about wasting vacation time.

Has anyone been and can you tell me why you would choose one over the other to help me?

Thank you so much
  • fluff73
    hello new poster but loooooooooong time lurker.

After starting last year with over 20k debt we have just reduced it to 6k (thanks to everyone on this website who have frankly changed our lives) - however Mrs Fluffs father died in April (dont be sad - there were real issues) and we have just inherited some money that makes us debt free and have enough enough for some savings and a holiday!

Sooooooo.... We just booked 2 weeks in Orlando in feb 2010 through travelcitydirect. Virgin Flights, 3 bed villa (20 mins from disney), and a larger than normal car for £2484 - virgin holidays were quoting well over 3k for the same holiday.

Thought you may like to know
  • SmileyS
    Another quick question i want to hire a car at Orlando airport but I don't have a credit card will this be a problem
    cheers
  • ailuro2
    Another quick question i want to hire a car at Orlando airport but I don't have a credit card will this be a problem
    cheers
    Yes.

Across the world car companies insist on a credit card being offered, so they can claim their full money back if you prang the car or dirve off into the sunset never to be seen again.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • deeleybopper
    hi everyone, I'm in the process of trying to book a family hol, 2 kids, 2 adults, in April 2010, going for 13 nights....I'm trying to get my head around the park tickets. as firsttimers, we think we'll probably do disney A LOT, and a one day trip to the space centre - is there anything else I'd be mad to miss? We completely appreciate that it is impossible to see it all..in fact our kids are 5 and 2 so we just want to do stuff that suits them now - e.g. save something like universal for when they're older and we perhaps return in future...so am i best doing one of the walt disney 5 or 7 day passes? these seem to be about £240 an adult?

and here is the thing no one has managed to so far answer. we're away for 13 nights - DD turns 3 on the 10th day of the holiday - therefore needing a ticket from that point i believe...now we intend on taking advantage whilst she's cheap and doing most the expensive stuff before her birthday....but do they even check the age of a child formally or just take what you say at face value..so could she be a pretend 2 the whole time?
    .and the snag is, we'd actually quite like her to spend her birthday at Disney..so when she's walking around with her I AM 3 badge on it'll be a tad obvious i feel! so do we buy her a single day ticket? and how much is that anyway?

any advice will be very gladly receieved!!! complete disney novice!
    thanks in advance
    deeley xx
  • blackpongo1
    florida 2010
    just back and have got the bug trying to book next yr 2/10/10 travel city direct have a hol for £2660 flying with virgin so checked with virgin hols and the same hol is £2800 is travel city direct safe to bk with or should i bk virgin is there any advantage /disadvantage with either all advice greatly appreicated

TIA Blackpongo
  • Lynneth
    Thomas Cook Airlines
    Hi All

Has anyone flown Gatwick to Sanford with Thomas Cook recently? Just wondering what the flight/service/food/entertainment, etc was like. Would appreciate any feedback

only 24 days to go
    • eripmav
    • By eripmav 27th Jul 09, 10:56 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    eripmav
    Hi. I am looking to stay in one of these disney hotels to get the free dining plan and am having trouble deciding.

At PO I think I would pick the riverside over the french quarter - is the r/s the newer area? CB looks very nice, but I have heard some people say your room can be very far from the main area. I'm not worried about the walk, but if we are a long way from the bus stop I am worried about wasting vacation time.

Has anyone been and can you tell me why you would choose one over the other to help me?

Thank you so much
    Originally posted by smallpo
    PO French Quarter is relatively small in comparison to other resorts and if you stay there, you won't find it that much of a walk to the food court and facilities
    Bankrupt 28/07/08!
  • blackpongo1
    Hi All

Has anyone flown Gatwick to Sanford with Thomas Cook recently? Just wondering what the flight/service/food/entertainment, etc was like. Would appreciate any feedback

only 24 days to go
    Originally posted by Lynneth
    I've just flown thomas cook from belfast to orlando economy class had to buy head phones for the movies etc price £2.75 each Sm coke 90p watched slumdog going milk and confessions of shopaholic coming back 2 melas going and a snack coming back dinner and breakfast coming back .
    be careful all luggage is weighed including hand luggage xcess luggage is charged at $22 per kilo hope this helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

6,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin