Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • MOLLYBRUSH
    Anyone know if English walkie talkies will work in USA. I believe they don't the other way round.
    There are three ways to get something done; do it yourself, hire someone or forbid your kids to do it.
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 19th Jul 09, 6:09 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    Can anyone tell me if magic kingdom is mainly for kids?

Im going to florida with my fiance. We are late 20's and have no kids. Is it worth while going for the day or shall we stick to the more adult parks like Universal and DC.

Also-will be looking to buy a laptop and camera can anyone reccomend a good shop or centre for this?

Thanks
    Originally posted by chopper2540
    Hi there

Magic Kingdom
    Its still my favourite park even without the kids but then I am a Disney nut and appropriate the story, the theme, the purpose and not just want the the thrills. If you prefer the big rides like the coasters etc and there is nothing wrong with that either btw then Universal and of course Busch Gardens win hands sown. But there is still a lot for a couple to do in MK.

Although Space Moutain is claosed until Nov, Big Thinder is still a great ride as is Splash. Buzz Lightyear is great fun and the new Hall of Presidenmts looks impressive. There are also some great shows like Philhanmagic which I adore. But only you will know really if its your thing

Laptop anbd Camera
    The Laptop will be fine and to to be fair I would buy it either fron Wal Mart as you can return it to SDA over here or Amazon.com. The plug will be American but thats easy to change with even something like a shaver point over here or a cheap travel adaprter. The power will be fine. BUT the keyboard will have an American layout which is not the end of the world but will have a smaller "enter" key and the @ sign etc are in different places.

As for a camera, check the box carefully. We have bought a couple over there for people and some needed transformers (got them of eBay for like 5 quid for the Fuji camera0 and others just neede a shaver point plug (Panasonic).

Each person can bring £300 worth of goods back into the UK before you need to delcare it so you may well be fine.

HTH
    Craig
    Self confessed Florida expert with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio

• Rowan1946
    • By Rowan1946 19th Jul 09, 6:59 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Rowan1946
    Anyone know if English walkie talkies will work in USA. I believe they don't the other way round.
    Originally posted by MOLLYBRUSH
    They would work but they are on a non-legal frequency,, also the US ones work here as i have 2 sets but again are set on police frequencys or something so not legal to use here either,, pity as i have 15KM ones which would be good as im never more than 3KM from the MRS,, lol
    May'09 - Won tickets to Night at the Museum 2 June'09 - Electric Dreams DVD
  • KarenG
    After all the trials that CJD went through, I am nothing to do with this. I do not get paid for referrals.Nor commissions or anything else. I just think that some will enjoy!
    Very well made.

Great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFf-N83MFI&feature=related

15 parts in all
    Originally posted by atro1
    Awesome! I've just spent two hours watching these and I'm only up to 14. Thanks for posting this; it really is very well done.
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 20th Jul 09, 7:55 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    Originally Posted by atro1
    After all the trials that CJD went through, I am nothing to do with this. I do not get paid for referrals.Nor commissions or anything else. I just think that some will enjoy!
    Very well made.

Great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFf-...eature=related

15 parts in all
    OMG, now thats a holiday video isnt it? Very very impresed. Mine is recorded straight off the camcorder to a dvd recorder under the telly, this is something else.

Cheers

• skr80
    • By skr80 20th Jul 09, 2:21 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    skr80
    I believe UK radio's use an illegal frequency in the US - better off buying two out there - they are very cheap to purchase
  • MOLLYBRUSH
    Thanks. It's just I have two already and am going with a 12 year old who is at the age where he feels he should be able to wander off on his own for a bit. Probably just as cheap to get a couple of PAYG phones I'm thinking now.
    There are three ways to get something done; do it yourself, hire someone or forbid your kids to do it.
  • sam19677
    Hi wondered if anyone could answer me a couple of quick questions. I'm paying for a hire car this end, so do I still need a credit card when we get to Orlando, and does anybody know if Walmart still takes Travellers Cheques?
    Thank you
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 20th Jul 09, 6:01 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    Hi wondered if anyone could answer me a couple of quick questions. I'm paying for a hire car this end, so do I still need a credit card when we get to Orlando, and does anybody know if Walmart still takes Travellers Cheques?
    Thank you
    Originally posted by sam19677
    Hi Sam

As a general rule yes you will still need a credit card just in case you decide to run off to Mexico with the car.

And yes, last time I checked Wal mart still took TC's

HTH
    Craig

• disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 20th Jul 09, 6:03 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    Thanks. It's just I have two already and am going with a 12 year old who is at the age where he feels he should be able to wander off on his own for a bit. Probably just as cheap to get a couple of PAYG phones I'm thinking now.
    The walkies are fine over there and pretty cheap but you cna also get the tracfone mobiles from Wal Mart for $10 each of course it costs to run those but the quality is much better
    C

• sam19677
    Hi CJD
    Thank you very much for the quick response

Sam
  • SmileyS
    I am looking at hiring a car when i get in at Orlando and i don't have a credit card is there any hire companies i can use without a credit card
    cheers
  • lex
    I am looking at hiring a car when i get in at Orlando and i don't have a credit card is there any hire companies i can use without a credit card
    cheers
    Originally posted by SmileyS
    Can you not pay by debit card up front? Or do they need to hold a card as security?
    lex
  • MOLLYBRUSH
    The walkies are fine over there and pretty cheap but you cna also get the tracfone mobiles from Wal Mart for $10 each of course it costs to run those but the quality is much better
    C
    Originally posted by disney_cjd
    Thanks. I saw similar in Target but I noticed the top ups seemed to be in really big denominations. Can you just put in, say $10 at a time?
    • busymumof3
    • By busymumof3 21st Jul 09, 1:24 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    busymumof3
    Hi there

We are in the second week of our holiday in Orlando and are unlikely now to use any more than two days of our Universal 14 day Flexi tickets - have not yet been activated - as kids are more of an age to enjoy the Disney parks. We've noticed a rash of places offering to buy tickets. Would anyone happen to know if this would include part-used tickets and if so whether it is worth doing? If yes and yes are there
    any recommendations where to try?

Many thanks
  • Lynneth
    for Craig the mad cow ;D !
    Glad you changed your mind matey - and on the subject of CJD, bullocks to the !

only 30 dayas to go
    • atro1
    • By atro1 21st Jul 09, 5:31 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    atro1
    busymumof3 These booths used to take part used tickets but that was in the days of days that never expired! And then it was peanuts they would pay. But in your case I can only suggest you try, anything will be better than Nothing!!
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • blackpongo1
    Hi all just back from a magical 2 wks in disney and would like to thanks you all for the tips , advice etc that you shared with me it saved mr loads have actually got brouchers for nxt year .
    I know somebody was looking for for info on the comfort inn in lake buena vista area have searched prior pages but cant find the post i'm only to glad tell everything if i know who it was if someone could help that would great
    Once again thanks for all the info hopefully i can be help to someone else in the future
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 21st Jul 09, 12:17 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    Thanks. I saw similar in Target but I noticed the top ups seemed to be in really big denominations. Can you just put in, say $10 at a time?
    Hi

The smallest top up for a tracphone is $20 so you will outlay $30 for a phone and an hours talk. However there are lots of sites that have "codes" for bonus mins when you top up so use those.

Cheers

• disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 21st Jul 09, 12:17 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    for Craig the mad cow ;D !
    Glad you changed your mind matey - and on the subject of CJD, bullocks to the !

only 30 dayas to go
    Originally posted by Lynneth
    Hahaha thanks..... Mooooo to them hehe.

One week to go then Florida for 4 1/2/ weeks!!!

C

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,370Posts Today

8,292Users online

Martin's Twitter