National Debtline: #12 days of debt action

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Forumite
edited 9 December 2014 at 10:06AM in Debt-free wannabe
1%20-%20Set%20your%20festive%20budget.jpg

Hi everyone

National Debtline has launched a #12daysofdebtaction campaign today to help anyone concerned with debt in the run up to Christmas.

Each weekday from today until Tuesday 23rd December it's focusing on a simple, practical step that you can take to try to prevent getting into further debt problems over Christmas.

National Debtline will be posting here on the MSE Forum, on Facebook and on twitter

Andrea :)
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    2%20-%20Keep%20paying%20bills.jpg

Hi all

Today's #12daysofdebtaction advice is all about keeping the priority bills paid over the holiday. There is plenty more on our website about how to prioritise your commitments.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • National_Debtline
    3%20-%20Shop%20around%20for%20deals.jpg

Morning good folk of MSE

After the contributions of Ravi and Rachel, today's #12daysofdebtaction wisdom comes courtesy of James, who wants you to shop around for the best deals.

Of course there are few better places to help you do that than this very site!

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • National_Debtline
    4%20-%20Spread%20the%20cost.jpg

Afternoon all!

Another day, another tip - today's #12daysofdebtaction sage is Lucy from Business Debtline. She recommends spreading out your festive spending as different bargains are to be had at different times - sound advice for this and future Christmases.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    5%20-%20Resist%20borrowing%20more.jpg

Happy Christmas Jumper Day, everyone!

The appropriately-attired Ben brings us today's piece of #12daysofdebtaction advice. If you're considering taking out (more) credit to pay for that extra present, it's worth paraphrasing Martin's Mantra:

Do they need it?
    Can I afford it?

Do please make sure you know just how much you will have to repay if you do borrow more. The Money Advice Service has a range of free-to-use calculators which may help.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    6%20-%20Keep%20a%20track%20of%20spends.jpg

Afternoon MSEers! Hope your weekends went well. Mine was mostly spent pulling up mouldy carpets - one way of avoiding the Xmas crowds, I suppose.

The latest instalment in our #12daysofdebtaction features Leanne, who recommends keeping a diary of your outgoings through this most hectic of periods. There are lots of free mobile apps that can help; alternatively, you might prefer good old-fashioned pen and paper. You are very welcome to share any strategies that work for you.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    7%20-%20Just%20buy%20for%20kids.jpg

Good afternoon! The odds on a white Xmas may be lengthening, but hopefully that's not making you feel any less festive.

Today's #12daysofdebtaction contribution comes from Mark, who suggests that we adults refrain from buying each other gifts if we are feeling squeezed. Alternatively, there's much to be said from making presents of your own if you have the time and craftsmanship - Pinterest has no end of ideas in this department.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    edited 5 January 2015 at 9:45AM
    Good morning one and all

We are now two thirds of the way through our #12daysofdebtaction campaign, and today's point is a simple reminder from Amanda that you don't need to wait until the New Year to get free advice if you have debt worries. Even if it is just a short conversation to give you confidence about tackling matters in 2015, it's worth getting in touch.

Our service will remain open until 1pm on Xmas Eve and over the holiday period it will remain possible to get tailored advice on dealing with debts from My Money Steps.

The service will resume as normal at 9am on Friday 2 January.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    9%20-%20Spend%20time%2c%20not%20just%20money.jpg

Afternoon! It could barely feel less like mid-December here, as Birmingham basks in near-tropical temperatures of 12 Celsius, but Christmas is indeed just a week off now.

Today, I myself have (reluctantly) stepped in front of the camera to present the latest instalment in our #12daysofdebtaction. This is simply underlining the fact that Christmas should be about the quality of the time you spend with those dear to you, not the quantity of parcels unwrapped or, dare I say it, sprouts eaten.

If you're worried that debt problems are going to be lingering on your mind over the holiday, then why not get some advice now for reassurance, whether from one of the free charity services or from the good folk on these forums?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    edited 19 December 2014 at 11:22AM
    10%20-%20Plan%20your%20Christmas%20dinner.jpg

Morning all,

Just two more days in our #12daysofdebtaction await after today’s wise counsel from Ritesh, who is appropriately enough quite the dab hand in the kitchen – a former Masterchef contestant, no less.

Ritesh wants you to make sure you know what’s on the menu over the holiday period - you’re much less likely to break the bank if you have a plan in place. Most food outlets these days will reopen by Boxing Day so there’s no need to overstock. By all means shop later for some items if it helps to get them at a discount, but expect empty shelves if you’re dashing around on the 24th! If you’re spending Christmas at a friend’s or relative’s home, can you help your host out by bringing a course?

Whatever you tuck into this Christmas, bon appetit from all of us at National Debtline…

Dennis

@natdebtline
  • National_Debtline
    11%20-%20Look%20out%20for%20free%20activities.jpg

Afternoon! The penultimate message in our #12daysofdebtaction comes from Hannah and is targeted in particular at those parents among you who fear ending up with restless children over the holiday.

Taking the family out doesn't have to mean splashing out on the cinema, panto or other potentially pricy activities. Local newspapers are often overlooked but can in fact be a great source of information about free or cheap events going on in your area.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure