Tuesday 21st April - What small DFW things will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important:money:
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 17/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 9:41AM
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Looks like another lovely day so hoping to get out in the sun with my book later, didn't manage it yesterday as turned really chilly and breezy. My little list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Filing/shredding -
    Continue clear up in attic/craftroom -
    Continue purge on Emails -
    Continue purge on FB & Twitter -
    Surveys -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 5 chances to win -
    Read - (struggling with this one, not my usual kind of book at all - must have been a win, :rotfl:)

Have a great day, love to you all

C x

Managed quite a bit yesterday - got £10 for son for something that had just been laying gathering dust in his bedroom. Also browsed and bagged 50+ knitting magazines ready to be collected by a lady for her knitting group with the elderly.

Dog went home (and I miss her, she followed me absolutely everyhere - which was ok until she tripped me up or I went to toilet :rotfl:) so took the opportunity to get rugs outside and give them a good beating.

Also cleaned and disinfected black bin rather than pay £2.50 per fortnight some of my neighbours pay (£65 a year :eek:)

Won £50 recently with Laredoute, they wrote and told me that due to a discount code they'd added to my account (as a gesture of goodwill) I've not spent it all so I ordered some pillowcases to match the duvet I recently bought for DS's room - cost to me 50p

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi Ziggy :) - thanks for the kick off - and hello to everyone who follows :hello:

...so shhh it's a secret...but rather scarily our offer was accepted on the house...trying to keep it on the down low and not get too excited until it all comes through as sadly I know how house sales can fall through at the 11th hour!! The owners haven't found anywhere yet so still a long way to go - time to sort out all the paperwork etc at our end and time for a clear out - no way am I packing clutter!!

Listypoparoo:
    :) Cheapo porridge brekkie :A
    :) Taking snacks to work
    :) Thinking about a pressie for mum's bday... Not really sure what to get - may need to post it so feeling restricted...
    :) Trying to get some writing done
    :) Working hard - have I mentioned it's nearly bonus time?! :rotfl:
    :) Looking out for roadkill (of the money variety :p) Last night I had a dream I was walking along the street and there was loads of money on the ground but for some reason I couldn't pick it up! :o That is surely a sign! I need to make more of an effort to reach out for money finds and take time to notice it rather than rushing past! :cool:
    :) Listening to some Denise Duffield Thomas stuff - does anyone listen to her stuff on Money Blocks?

xx

Great news on the house-front, everything crossed that it progresses smoothly :T

Fingers crossed for lots of "roadkill"

Not heard of "Denise Duffield Thomas" - will investigate, anyone else have any other recommendations to listen to or watch

• xJOJOx_2
    xJOJOx_2 Posts: 572 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 11:53PM
    Good morning everyone! Lovley day again. Wearing one of my summer dresses to try and get my wear out of it. Maybe the weather will bring a few people into work today!

Daily DFWs
    3p roadkill so far :-)
    Pay the remaining balance off cc1 tick
    Think of plan of action for cc2, last debt now tick
    Check Banking/Emails tick
    Postcode Lottery tick
    Check Onepoll and any other surveys tick
    Nightly routine (plugs/doors etc) tick
    Phone up pharmacy4u and register
    Sort money for ds2 school trip
    Walk all journeys :-( opps

old school/making things last
    Use same 'daily' eyeshadow/lipstick to use up some supplies tick
    All lights/switches/TV off when not in use tick
    Packed lunches for all tick
    All meals from stock tick
    Changing habit this week - try and not burn any pans this week
    Seam to acquired a lot of half jars of stuff need to use up, next peanut butter spread tick
    Dressing gowns on and heating off am tick
    Make use of free drinks at work tick
    Take a staff drink home and pop in fridge tick
    Charge phone and iPad at work tick
    Smile and try and earn some tips today tick
    Check if any ys in local garage on the way home from work tick
    Meal plan for the rest of week
    Squashed toilet rolls so hard to roll :-D love this tip as little one can't empty the roll in one go just for fun now haha tick
    Folded up my tinfoil from sandwiches to reuse tick
    Cheap milk from town whilst passing through tick
    Do some horrid cleaning jobs at work (to find pennies) tick £1.37

Entertainment/Leisure
    Read on kindle, need to get back into the story tick
    If time a film on netflicks tonighttick

Home/DeclutteringHome
    Tidy dd1 room this evening
    1 bag to charity shop tick

Upping my income
    Ebay at least one Item today
    See if music magpie payment been made yet.... tick, at last, pay off cc2..

Have a good day all xx
    Debt Remaing £315 :j
    Breath out the past, Breath in the future
    Big Dreams Start Small
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,425
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 6:49PM
    Morning all :)
    List for today:
    Check banks Done
    Wash acres of spinach and make a spinach and feta pie (shopping delivery included 2 huge bags instead of the 2 smaller, on offer bags I had ordered. They only charged me for the smaller size though :)). This will use up 2 part packs of filo pastry that have been in the freezer for ages :T Done, gave the last few filo pastry sheets to the chickens. They hadn't seen this before, and it was very funny to watch them attack it, especially when the biggest one ran off with the whole lot with the others in hot pursuit :rotfl: The pie was good too!
    Scrub a couple of garden pots and take them to my sales unit, as the 3 I put in there last week have sold :T This will also declutter the garden a bit :)Done, more things had gone so I was glad I decided to take along a few extra bits
    Do a bit more tidying in the garden Didn't get to this as DD and baby GD appeared
    Housework - must do this today as baby GD is here tomorrow and fussy sis in law is visiting on Thursday Did, some, and OH did some as well when he got back from his round of golf :)
    Try out the furniture paint I bought yesterday on a small shelf thing that is intended for my sales unit - I am very excited about this, as I eventually want to do the bedside cabinets in our bedroom and a shelf in the kitchen as well as sales bits :)I actually did the bedside cabinets. The paint is nearly dry, then I need to wax it and get OH to put the handles back on. Not sure if I can get this done tonight, but if not, I will need to find a temporary home for all the stuff I chucked out of the cabinets
    Meals from stores Done

Right, coffee to finish then better get on :)
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all!

Just caught up on yesterdays thread - had a chuckle over bidding on squished squirrels and pigeons!

La escocesa - fingers crossed it all goes through!

So today I have/will:-
    * Checked banks
    * Move money for haircut I had on Saturday from pot into the right account (only £15.75)
    * Pay money off CC
    * No heating on but bath mat isn't drying so may need to switch it on for an hour later
    * Take lunch to work
    * Earn more on OnePoll - finally over £30 - must keep going!
    * Earn more SBs
    * Go for walk at lunch
    * Write shopping list
    * Dinner from stores
    * Shop to list
    * Wash hair and let dry naturally
    * Change bed so can wash tomorrow morning before work and hang on line
    * Do at least some house work!

Think that's everything - not very exciting!

Hope you all have a good day!
    Starting again..
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning!

*I'm currently getting together the details I need to call up and cancel my credit card accounts. :T
    *I also have a budget in place to pay back the family member who's lent me the money to pay them off which involved completely reorganising my spreadsheet and making it all pretty. lol!
    *Making a plan of stuff I need to do up the allotment, as have cauliflower, broccoli and beetroot ready to plant, plus a few others.
    *I'm off to college today, which will give me a chance to grab some essentials from poundland.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning all

La escocesa - I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Today:
    Ring estate agents for prospective rentals - done
    Join WeightWatchers (have substantial discount) - done
    Physio @ 6
    Go for a run - done
    Pack bag for overnight stay (work related)
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 12:23PM
    Good morning folks!

Thanks to ziggy for starting us off. Lots of good mse stuff going on already!

It is absolutely GORGEOUS here today! I didn't make the bread of do any housework last night (naughty) as I got caught up tidying the garden. I'm trying to do something with all that holly! I managed to burn some of it. More to follow!

Today's list:
    • B/L/D from stores. Still trying to use up stuff in the freezer (a la general theme on here. I seem to have lots of food but no meals? [poor housewifery clearly])
    • Walk at lunch time to make up for no walk to work (had to go to hospital app with OH) - went for a run instead!
    • Went to OH's appointment nice and early (walk-in app) to get space in free hospital car park as opposed to paid one - done
    • Log calories in app. Very disappointed with weigh-in today after doing very well at logging. Suspect some water weight still from Sunday.
    • Check online banking and reconcile spreadsheet (dire!) - done
    • Pay window cleaner - done
    • Make bread
    • Think about food ideas for OH while I'm away on business next week
    • Tend seedlings. A pea got a bit munched last night. Very annoyed considering I cloched it. General garden looking ok and the big bed that I sowed random amounts of carrots, turnips and beetroot in is actually germinating (for once! - I have a terrible track record with roots). I have laid some of the holly branches over it to deter cats etc
    • Resow a tray of salad that has not fared well. One looks fine, the other looks pretty much dead/not germinated. Seed was a bit old.
    • Possibly a bit of housework, depending on how I get on
    • Ask HR about how I get paid for business trip as am travelling on Sunday
    Right, that'll do methinks!

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • 1HANNAH
    1HANNAH Posts: 855 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 7:12PM
    Morning (just) all!

Thanks for the start Ziggy, it sounds like you had a very productive day yesterday :)

Le Escocesa, great news, hope all goes well

Jojo, Loving your organised list!

Immoral_angeluk, sounds like you're on a mission! well done

Dawn, Twiggy & DD265, clF and all who follow have a good day

My list today...
    * Switched mobile off over night done
    * Heating off done
    * All meals from stores - plan & prep done
    * Check Banking/update spreadsheets done
    * Check off tesco CC done Sant CC checked off too done
    * Do some Swagbucks done a little but need will try to do a bit more later
    * Check Sun perks done
    * Check FPL done
    * Check TCB done, £42.42 amazon voucher available :)
    * Check Quidco done
    * Check email survey oppurtunities nothing there yet
    * Unsubscribe from junk emails done
    * Read a few pages of my book thats been on the bedside table 1yr+ done
    * Make families lunches for school/work for tomorrow done
    * Use nectar search done
    * Kids breakfast free at Schools breakfast club done
    * Fill water bottle at gym done
    * Gym - shower & dry hair done
    * Update freezer list Not done but will do tomorrow
    * See what else I can find in the cupboards to go into my food use up box done added a spice flavour pot, need to come up with a plan for it now
    * Clean & tidy fridge Not done but will do tomorrow
    * Clean & tidy freezer Not done but will do tomorrow
    * Use products (use up 0/17 nail polish 0/3 handcream 0/1 footcream) used some hand cream, nearly finished one tube now :)
    * Breakfast was a banana/spinach smoothie with chia seeds, flax seeds, whey protien & peanut butter from my use up box :)done
    * Lunch will be the soup I made yesterday done
    * Dinner will be left over rice dish served cold with salad & leftover gammon done
    * Dads taking a few bits to the tip for me out of the garage done

Better get cracking :)
    Following :money: to keep us debt free :j
  • PollyPrissypants
    PollyPrissypants Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 11:14AM
    I've asked to join the roadkill rebels! For other newbies like myself, that's to collect found coins, not unfortunate bunnies and the like...as I found out yesterday :D

Btw, Hannah that spice flavour pot is a great idea!
    Started April 2015: CC Debt - £5620 :eek:
    DFW hoping to start saving as soon as debt is cleared
    NOT BUYING IT 2015!
    Emergency Fund #107: £5/£1000
    Roadkill Rebel #78
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts