I require some advice

2»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2016 at 1:11PM
    Does the warranty state what happens if they can't repair your machine within 5 working days? When the 5 working days start? Is it a promise or an estimate?

Warranties can be binding on the party offering them but it would likely depend on the wording and what exactly was offered.

Its in addition to your statutory rights. As you know, you're within the first 6 months so its up to them to show the fault was not inerent rather than you to show it is.

As for the significant inconvenience/reasonable time....really only a judge can decide. But the inconvenience does need to be significant, inconvenience is to be expected when there is a breach of contract so that alone does not entitle the parties to rescind a contract for what might be a trivial breach.

Even if you did need it for work, you would likely be advised not to tell them that as consumer rights only apply to consumers, businesses simply dont have the same protections and can sign away their rights while consumers can't.

As you paid by credit card, you also have the exact same rights against the credit card company as you do the retailer.

If they send it back as repaired and its still faulty, you would also have the right to insist on a refund instead of allowing further attempts to repair/replace.

However, personally I'd informally email them first and just state the longer you're without it, the greater an inconvenience its becoming and especially given they promised (if they did) 5 working day repairs, you feel that its now starting to become an unreasonably long repair. You could also add that you would like your pc repaired and returned within 7-14 days (or a replacement provided if that is not possible) and if they are unable to meet this deadline, you will be seeking a refund instead.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • I'm glad I read the whole thing. Did you tell them before you ordered a USB stick? Seems like they should have just posted you the disc
  • think on the positive side, they are testing it after trying to fix it, and each time it still isn't fixed it is going back for more work. sounds better than the companies that fix 1 thing and send it back only for you to have to return it again. You need to ask for someone in charge and get them to keep you fully informed of what is going on, and what they are prepared to do for you as their normal service has not been met.

Yeah that's the point of view I've been trying to keep through this. Obviously if there are still faults I don't want it back until it is fixed but it would be nice to not be kept in the dark about what's happening.

I'll be making a phone call tomorrow morning to see if I can actually get to speak to someone.
  • I'm glad I read the whole thing. Did you tell them before you ordered a USB stick? Seems like they should have just posted you the disc

I told them that I didn't have one and would purchase one. When my local didn't one one suitable (it needed to be at least 3GB than they only had 1GB and 2GB) I ordered one. That's not a big deal, I managed to get a 3GB stick for under £3 on ebay (which I now use for music in my car) but yeah I also think they should have just posted me the disc. I'm expecting to receive it when the PC is eventually shipped back to me (and if I don't I'm going to insist on it).
  • Does the warranty state what happens if they can't repair your machine within 5 working days? When the 5 working days start? Is it a promise or an estimate?

Not that I can see. And it doesn't say if that's a promise or an estimate.

They have a warranty page on their site if you care to check it. Sorry I can't post a link as I'm too new a user here.

My quoted time was seven working days from the technician handling my case though. I didn't consider that unacceptable as it was obvious that it wasn't clear exactly what was wrong when the RMA was authorised. However they have actually had it twelve and counting. I'm less bothered by the time though and more by their not telling me exactly what's happening and being told it's ready only for it not be shipped. Friday's email sounded pretty definite to me but they still didn't send it.
  • unholyangel
    adg211288 wrote: »
    Not that I can see. And it doesn't say if that's a promise or an estimate.

They have a warranty page on their site if you care to check it. Sorry I can't post a link as I'm too new a user here.

My quoted time was seven working days from the technician handling my case though. I didn't consider that unacceptable as it was obvious that it wasn't clear exactly what was wrong when the RMA was authorised. However they have actually had it twelve and counting. I'm less bothered by the time though and more by their not telling me exactly what's happening and being told it's ready only for it not be shipped. Friday's email sounded pretty definite to me but they still didn't send it.

https://www.computerplanet.co.uk/help/warranty

Had a look at that page but its rather basic. Only says 5 days (not working days - ambiguity) and doesnt state what happens if they fail to repair your machine on time.

I take it thats the only warranty information you have and weren't provided with anything in addition?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Had a look at that page but its rather basic. Only says 5 days (not working days - ambiguity) and doesnt state what happens if they fail to repair your machine on time.

I take it thats the only warranty information you have and weren't provided with anything in addition?

No I wasn't. The only other warranty information that appears is when you select whether you want the standard warranty or want to pay extra for the extended one. I have just double checked this and picked up on that the site's warranty page is out of date at least in terms of the cost of the extended as the prices are different. The warranty page says the extended is £125 but it's actually £150. I don't know if that was also the case when I purchased as I have the standard warranty. But that does make it possible that the other information on the page may be out of date as well, including the repair time.
  • unholyangel
    adg211288 wrote: »
    No I wasn't. The only other warranty information that appears is when you select whether you want the standard warranty or want to pay extra for the extended one. I have just double checked this and picked up on that the site's warranty page is out of date at least in terms of the cost of the extended as the prices are different. The warranty page says the extended is £125 but it's actually £150. I don't know if that was also the case when I purchased as I have the standard warranty. But that does make it possible that the other information on the page may be out of date as well, including the repair time.

Might be outdated for new contracts entered into but you can't vary the terms of an agreement once it has been agreed except with the agreement of the other party.

Meaning any changes they made between you entering into the contract & now wouldn't be applicable to your contract anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure