Real-life MMD: Should my replacement on theatre trip contribute to ticket cost?

Comments

• Of course they should pay for the ticket. Who in their right mind would think they would get it for free?
  • If you were asking for your ticket to be offered/sold at a discounted price in your absence, you should have made that clear beforehand. If nothing has been offered by the lucky recipient, then (although-personally I think like you, it's bad manners), you have lost out.
  • Personally had I been the recipient I would've offered to pay straight away,surely it's only good manners,unless you are specifically told its a free ticket? Even then I'd probably send flowers or bake a cake as a thank you, I suppose everyone is different though.
    If you really needed the money or knew the possibility of not receiving anything would grate on you,you really should have made it clear that the ticket was to be sold,not gifted as seems to be the case.
    Personally I hate asking people for money so would take the hit this time and remember to make myself clearer in future,avoids any awkwardness or misunderstandings.
  • The onus was on you to make clear at the point you offered the tickets up whether you expected some/part payment.

I recently had two panto tickets which I couldn't use so offered them to a friend, making it clear that I didn't want any money, I just didn't want the tickets to go to waste.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the person asking for you should have explained the situation and at least tried to see if anyone wanted to pay for it before giving it away for free. Dependant on the time involved you could have sold it yourself. My mum encounters this with friends quite often and it is only polite to offer towards a refund. Has the person who had the freebie thanked u for the ticket. That in the very least should have happened.
  • With last-minute cancellations, I think most people take the view that it would be a shame for the ticket to go to waste and, since the money's lost anyway, someone might as well use it.

In my office, people quite frequently email around last-minute offers of tickets that they can't use, and almost always specify that the tickets are free to anyone who wants them. However, if they didn't specify, then I'd always ask whether they wanted any money for them rather than assuming that they were free.

In this scenario, I think you should have broached the money at the time if you were wanting to be reimbursed, rather than just expecting that it would be offered. Even though I think it's rude for the recipient of the ticket not to ask at the time, I think it's too late for you to ask for money now. After all, the replacement may only have agreed to go along because they were under the impression that ticket was free, and if they'd known that they were going to have to pay then they might not have been interested.

This situation is further complicated by the fact that you got your friend, who was organising the whole thing, to find a replacement instead of finding your own. Speaking from personal experience, organising a group theatre trip can be incredibly stressful, and I'm sure that running around trying to find a last minute taker for your ticket wasn't particularly fun for her, so I think it would be a little unreasonable for you to then bring up the subject of money after the fact.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Not enough info really. It depends how it was offered in the first place. If you wanted to sell it, even for a reduced price, you should have made this clear. It could be that the person that used the ticket couldn't afford to go and wouldn't have used the ticket if there was a cost involved.
    If it had been offered to me, I would have asked how much you wanted for the ticket.... but that's just me.
  • MR777
    MR777 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Manners and decorum can no longer be relied upon nowadays I'm afraid, and there is always somebody ready to take advantage of someone else's misfortune without as much as a twinge of guilt.

As has already been said, you shouldn't have had to, but in 20/20 hindsight perhaps it would have been wise to have made it clear to your friend on what terms the ticket was to be offered up, rather than to assume that she would not have given it away for nothing.
  • I have been unable to attend a few theatre and concert performances, and have offered the ticket to friends or family; I have never asked for or expected payment or part-payment, nor would I have accepted it. (I could have tried to get a refund if I was that bothered about the money.)

Perhaps you should have made it clear from the outset whether you were giving away the ticket, or wanted some kind of reimbursement?
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx

• If no-one had taken the ticket you wouldn't have got any money back - any theatre refund would be unlikely at such short notice.

I recently had a "free" christmas dinner when someone dropped out of a work function last minute. I didn't offer any money but did buy the person a box of choclates to say thanks. She was grateful and hadn't expected anything as she didn't even know if the place had been filled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure