EDIT 11th October: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners now told to turn off device

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    In America some of the carriers over there are recalling the handset and allowing customers to replace it for another device.

I don't know if you use Twitter and/or Facebook at all but @ThreeUKSupport have been quick to respond when I've had queries in the past.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • well i'm in a problem here. i pre-ordered and got my note 7 couple of days before launch and since returned it for their loan phone, s6e meh, and i got a load of accessories for the phone. was hoping to get the "new" note 7 but due to stopping production in light of the new burn-gate problem with the phone i am now stuck as i want to change my phone.

and here comes the problems
    1) i have spent money on accessories and of no fault of my own i'm out of pocket. anyway to claim money back on this? (screen protectors, cases, cables, chargers)
    2) my contract with three is £61 and i'm sure the handset cost is subbed into the contract price. so anyway to get money back since i used the phone for a day and have no phone to show for it now.
    3) i did an early upgrade and paid off my contract of about £100+ and i could have just waited and not had to pay this money upfront with the problems with the phone. as i could have now got a iphone without paying the cost of early upgrade. now i'm looking to have to pay an extra £100 ontop just to get the iphone.

could someone please point me to a way to sort this out? three have been no use. they even stated today that the phone is still getting sent out but no time frame for delivery.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Samsung has urged owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to turn off the smartphone while it investigates new reports of the device catching fire.

The South Korean firm also said it would stop all sales of the phone.
    Samsung recalled 2.5m phones in September after complaints of exploding batteries and later assured customers that all replaced devices were safe.

But there are now reports that even those phones that had been replaced were catching fire.

"Because consumers' safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place," the company said.

"Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available," it added.

BBC News

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • deke777
    deke777 Posts: 28 Forumite
    :eek:Charging a lithium battery in 10 minutes is the precursor of all that is bad, with the need to top up devices so quickly when, patently, the technology is not quite there yet. I use a Samsung tablet, that takes 4-6 hours to fill up; my smart phone takes about the same time and, is left charged over night, with a special adaptor that switches off, when it is fully re-charged. Much the safest way.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, if you'd be happy to travel on a commercial airline flight with just one passenger who had one of those 35 phones that 'exploded', or caught fire, good luck! :)

This has now happened.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Take the view that you are not going to get a Note 7 anytime soon .
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I believe that Samsung were well aware of overheating problems on NOTE phones for years
    My NOTE 1 (GT-N7000) from 2011 overheated - the camera lens used to get red hot - even when not using the camera - I returned the phone to Tmobile, twice for replacement and both times - they claimed that nothing was wrong with the device - but replaced it anyway (replacement was exactly the same)
    Eventually, after almost 2 years - I took the phone back to the EE shop (Tmobile had changed in the interim) - and got a refund......
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Samsung have now announced that they have ceased production completely and the word is that owners will get a refund or exchange for another phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37618618
  • I had a Pre order via the car phone warehouse.
    I returned it about 10 days ago and I have as well a 'Loaner' S6
    I didn't pay £699 for a Loaner S6 for the rest of my days,Im sim free though,so hopefully that will make a difference.

ROy
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I believe that Samsung were well aware of overheating problems on NOTE phones for years
    My NOTE 1 (GT-N7000) from 2011 overheated - the camera lens used to get red hot - even when not using the camera - I returned the phone to Tmobile, twice for replacement and both times - they claimed that nothing was wrong with the device - but replaced it anyway (replacement was exactly the same)
    Eventually, after almost 2 years - I took the phone back to the EE shop (Tmobile had changed in the interim) - and got a refund......

This has got nothing to do with overheating in the way you are describing.

The Note 7 has a design fault that causes damage to the battery which results in thermal runaway of the battery.

Unbelievably Samsung made the compartment for the battery too small for the battery they designed to fit into it...
    Samsung told regulators the phone’s battery was slightly too big for its compartment and the tight space pinched the battery, causing it to short circuit, Kaye said.

A comprehensive report hasn’t yet been released on the battery issue. Samsung previously told a Korean government agency that there was an error in production that pressured the plates within the battery cells and brought opposing poles into contact, which triggered the excessive heat. The company sent a separate report to China’s inspection agency asserting that the problem came from separators sitting between the electrodes that could thin out and cause short-circuiting.

“The dimensions of the materials they put into the pouch were a little bigger than the pouch itself,” Kaye said. “By putting that all together and squeezing it into the compartment, it caused some pinching.”

That has, in turn, led to short circuits within the batteries. In some cases, it prompted a phenomenon known as “thermal runway,” in which the battery creates so much heat that it ultimately burns or explodes, he said.

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-ODJPO96VDKHV01-3EQI3MJ68LK6GV47LGE6CD0OK9
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport