Finances as a couple

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I agree - that is a very key point. When you have similar values; many arrangements (as described above) can work.
    Well they have to be in your case if "ALL money is OUR money". Just pointing out that this also could mean "ALL liabilities are OUR liabilities". If you're both happy with that, that's fine. I would prefer to take personal responsibility for liabilities that I incur totally by myself.

Having broadly similar values works for the independent people as well as the 'one pot' ones though. With the parking ticket: if I'd been on my own and stayed over time then I'd want to pay it myself. Bad enough making a stupid mistake without expecting DH to bale me out. If we'd been out together and jointly incurred it IYSWIM (like neither of us realising restrictions) then we'd share the cost. I think that's why this thread's been so interesting it' been throwing up people's attitudes to taking personal responsibility as well as the obvious financial questions.

I know my DH would give me every penny in his personal account (as I would reciprocate) if something dire happened to me but that's not everyday life.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    BNT wrote: »
    Some accounts pay a higher rate of interest on balances up to a certain value. We find it makes sense to have separate accounts and a joint account each with that balance in order to maximize the interest income.

As we got married over 36 years ago I can't remember if we even thought about things like interest. If I remember rightly current accounts either had no or very little interest.

I was earning a reasonable wage, OH had a pretty low wage. Our mortgage was quite high and together with things like fares to work - we had to move quite a distance from work to afford a house, food, bills etc we really didn't have much if any money left over so pretty pointless have separate accounts.

At the risk of going off-topic - it could be challenged in court by another beneficiary if the will had those conditions.
    That question has been answered by people elsewhere in this thread, most recently by BNT.
    That was your commitment and if it works for you, fine. I hope it continues to do so.

Well they have to be in your case if "ALL money is OUR money". Just pointing out that this also could mean "ALL liabilities are OUR liabilities". If you're both happy with that, that's fine. I would prefer to take personal responsibility for liabilities that I incur totally by myself.

None of OH's family live anywhere near us and quite a few don't even know where we live. How would anyone know what we spend the money on anyway?

Well we have been married for over 36 years, are very happy and so, yes, I believe it will continue to work for us
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • maman
    catkins wrote: »
    As we got married over 36 years ago I can't remember if we even thought about things like interest. If I remember rightly current accounts either had no or very little interest.

I was earning a reasonable wage, OH had a pretty low wage. Our mortgage was quite high and together with things like fares to work - we had to move quite a distance from work to afford a house, food, bills etc we really didn't have much if any money left over so pretty pointless have separate accounts.
    I understand that but, unless money is still tight, it really isn't very mse:money: to keep your money in one pot to get maximum interest. ISAs were an obvious starting point a few years back and now the best interest is definitely to be found in current accounts.
  • webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    Well after 3 years of being together me and the OH have decided to move in together :j :j
    and we have decided that all bills will come out of my bill account, both putting in an equal share to cover the rent and any household bills, the rest will stay in our own bank accounts, I will not now or never be getting a joint account as he is a former bankrupt an self employed and his credit rating is shocking whereas mine is quite high and I'm not bringing mine down because we are financially linked.

Out of the bills account will be all bills with a little extra to cover any unforseen circumstances, food drink for the house and sundries we need for our home, everything else car haircuts hobbies presents we will be doing from our own personal accounts.

I am very good with money and have already started saving for our new home, whereas he likes to spend, he doesnt go out willy nilly spending, but, he doesnt see the need to save IYSWIM
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As I have said ALL money either of us get - wages, winnings, inheritance or whatever is OUR money.
    You keep making this point and others are responding that having separate accounts doesn't mean we don't see the money in our account as ours only, just that we like to manage it.

If DH suddenly lost his job and we only had our salary to live on, then of course my account would cover all our joint costs and vice versa. Of course any inheritance would be considered as money that is coming to both of us, whether being put in a joint account for the purpose of savings, or distributed equally between our two joint accounts.

I think that it seems to come down to is how much individuals within a relationship make individual decisions on spend or not. I do agree that if everything is going to be agreed before being spent, there is not much point of having separate accounts. If however you both agree on having some financial freedom, by which you are free to decide how to spend an element of your finances, a bit like having some time for yourself when you don't have to tell the other person where you are at any minute, then separate accounts is much easier to manage.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Prefer it to be joint. We have had it joint for many years now. :)
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It really is "horses for courses".

Mr LW and I both got badly burned financially in our respective first marriages, and both felt more comfortable keeping our finances separate; he already had the bungalow when I moved in with him, so the direct debits have continued to be paid by him, while I buy the food. Large spends, eg the car, are paid for by us both, half each. We move money between ourselves at need, so from that point of view, it's really quite informal. When my former marital home was sold, I paid off the mortgage on the bungalow, with the condition that my name was put on the title deeds. We each have our own ISA; and when some extra money came through from his late mum's estate (I never knew his mum) I wouldn't have dreamt of asking for any of it.

The thing is.... it works for us. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • maman
    That's a good, logical post LW.As you said it works for you.
    What I've found irritating from a few posters is the implication that if you have separate finances then you must have a dodgy relationship.
    Although my DH and I have been together for 39 years we are still individuals and like freedom to make our own decisions over our personal money as well as shared decisions about domestic stuff.
  • maman wrote: »
    That's a good, logical post LW.As you said it works for you.
    What I've found irritating from a few posters is the implication that if you have separate finances then you must have a dodgy relationship.
    Although my DH and I have been together for 39 years we are still individuals and like freedom to make our own decisions over our personal money as well as shared decisions about domestic stuff.

Sometimes on this board people see their way as the template for life. I've had this in a few other threads too. One had the nerve to suggest my marriage ceremony wasn't legitimate because it took place in a non denominational church. :rotfl:
    Current debt: M&S £0(£2K) , Tesco £0 (£1.5K), Car loan 6K (paid off!) Barclaycard £1.5K (interest free for 18 months)
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sometimes on this board people see their way as the template for life. I've had this in a few other threads too. One had the nerve to suggest my marriage ceremony wasn't legitimate because it took place in a non denominational church. :rotfl:

How utterly horrible & rude of them to say something like that!:mad:

Some people really need to think before they type!!
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure