MoneySaving Poll: Should the UK remain a member of the European Union?

Options
124»

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The difference between those older and those younger is that those who are older have experienced living outside the EU and even Common Market and know it's fine. Those who are younger don't have that experience.

Whether being part of a united states of Europe is good or bad is not knowable but it is knowable that it will greatly reduce UK autonomy as more power moves to the central EU decision-making process and politics.

What we owe to our kids and future generations is thinking about what's best for them, not just being in the EU because we have been in recent years or out of fears about losing trade agreements or a desire to continue subsidising other EU states. Those who've lived both with and without the EU have a substantial advantage when it comes to considering those alternatives and that seems to be showing up in their views on this subject.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most countries in Western Europe have relaxed border controls so citizens of these countries do not need a passport to travel freely between these countries. (Google Schengen Agreement).

Guess who has opted out of this? UK people still need a passport for a quick trip to France. We're really not part of Europe still
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    woodville wrote: »
    What is so sad about this poll is that the older voters are significantly more opposed to EU membership than younger voters. Any logic - no, not really, other that they don't see it benefiting them from a personal perspective and they probably have a a nasty xenophobic streak in them.
    EU membership is for the future and will benefit the future generations - not this one. So all you selfish old gits who would rather not be in the EU (but happily take cheap holidays in Spain) - wake up and smell the coffee. Amazingly this is not about you, but about future generations.
    And by the way, I'm 63 and I am absolutely convinced that the UK must remain in the EU. Without it we have a pretty grim future and most importantly, we owe it to our kids.

Well that is rather sweeping 'grumpy old man' type rant! You make lots of emotive statements about grim future and owe it to our kids - and it 'will benefit future generations' but in no way say how???????????????
    #
    Please put some 'meat' on your bones. How EXACTLY' will it benefit present or future generation? I really want to know but no pro Europe person has offered hard facts yet. (I don't see how it makes any difference to Spanish holiday costs for a start perhaps you can explain why being in the EU makes them cheaper?)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Most countries in Western Europe have relaxed border controls so citizens of these countries do not need a passport to travel freely between these countries. (Google Schengen Agreement).

Guess who has opted out of this? UK people still need a passport for a quick trip to France. We're really not part of Europe still

But do you think they would have kept border controls if they could enforce them? surely they dropped them because you can't enforce thousands of miles of land border. We are different in that we have the rather chilly English Channel as a natural border so we can keep controls.

Detach and tow Germany out to sea as an island and I bet border controls would reappear very quickly.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • UKParliament
    UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 5 June 2015 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

It's been really interesting to see how everyone voted in the MSE poll!

On Tuesday, at approximately 12 noon the House of Commons will be discussing the European Union Referendum Bill. You'll be able to watch live on Parliament TV.

The House of Commons Library have recently published a research briefing about the Bill which might be of interest to you.

European Union Referendum Bill 2015-16

Follow the Bill's progress on Parliament's website.

Jo and Lucinda
    Digital Outreach Team
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • kehall
    kehall Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    woodville wrote: »
    And by the way, I'm 63 and I am absolutely convinced that the UK must remain in the EU. Without it we have a pretty grim future and most importantly, we owe it to our kids.
    List some reasons why, please ?
  • owens1_2
    owens1_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    The difference between those older and those younger is that those who are older have experienced living outside the EU and even Common Market and know it's fine. Those who are younger don't have that experience.

Whether being part of a united states of Europe is good or bad is not knowable but it is knowable that it will greatly reduce UK autonomy as more power moves to the central EU decision-making process and politics.

What we owe to our kids and future generations is thinking about what's best for them, not just being in the EU because we have been in recent years or out of fears about losing trade agreements or a desire to continue subsidising other EU states. Those who've lived both with and without the EU have a substantial advantage when it comes to considering those alternatives and that seems to be showing up in their views on this subject.
    Well said, I totally agree.
  • fussypensioner
    fussypensioner Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have high levels of employment, far better than most of the EU.

You are correct and I know I'm getting a bit off the subject here but some children leaving school/college today are woefully unprepared at interviews and how to present themselves in the workplace. Workers coming here from Europe show enthusiasm and most have a good education. They are usually also willing to accept the minimum wage and to take up shortages in the labour market. Most of them go back home after a couple of years.

However, its the asylum seekers which worry me and I don't think that the EU dictating to member states about how many we should all take is a healthy option. At the moment it stands at 40,000 asylum seekers being relocated to European States.
    It seems that nobody will have a say in the matter. I feel the EU is a dictatorship.
    Holding back the years...
  • den32amg
    den32amg Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with KEHALL and have seen nothing that is not true. we are used as a cash cow, plus, the dustbin of the world
    The new furniture on the street - walking sticks and crutches
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport