Claiming jsa and paying rent to parents..?

Comments

• Who deleted my posts? Bit bloody rude! Im far too beveraged to re-write them now :( Shame on you.
  • scootw1
    scootw1 Posts: 2,165 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Of course you should be paying your parents rent.
    You are using their electric, gas, water and they are presumably feeding you too. Even if you got your own place you would have to pay for these yourself.

Take responsibility for yourself and give you parents a bit of help.
    He's not asking that. He wants to know if there is any help available. I think he does want to contribute. if he got his own place he would be entitled to help in the form of HB so he is hoping that would be the case if his parents want him to pay rent
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    scootw1 wrote: »
    He's not asking that. He wants to know if there is any help available. I think he does want to contribute. if he got his own place he would be entitled to help in the form of HB so he is hoping that would be the case if his parents want him to pay rent

If he had his own place you are correct that he would get help with rent however what other people are saying is that gas, electric, food etc would have to be paid from the JSA.
    Taking a rough estimate of these bills would be probably at least £150 per month from the JSA he therefore could pay this to his parents and be no better or worse off than if he was in his own place and claiming LHA.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chris1989 wrote: »
    Who deleted my posts? Bit bloody rude! Im far too beveraged to re-write them now :( Shame on you.

To people reading the thread - the original question appears reasonable, but OP's subsequent posts made it clear that he was just a troll with nothing better to do with his time. His posts have obviously been deleted by MSE.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Just in case someone is reading this thread who needs to know the answer, just last week the offspring of a close family friend was told they DEFINITELY COULD claim HB if they moved back to live with the family.
    This is the real problem.
    There are so many so called DWP 'advisers' who couldn't advise which way is up.
    People then take action on the basis of their lousy advice and then get in a whole lot of bother.
    There should be a means of easily suing the DWP when their employees don't know how to do thier jobs properly and give out incorrect information.
    Only last year I knew someone whose DD had been told they were DEF NOT eligible for HB as 'their family home was within 10 miles'.
    The youngster was going through a really tough time having lost their job but with the costs of living in a flat to pay for, and with no help available tried to commit suicide.
    Luckily one of the parents got involved and discovered the DD WAS in fact eligible and they got back paid over £1000.
    What would the DWP have said if that suicide attempt had succeeded?
    oops sorry?
    The DWP are a disgrace.
    Sorry for the rant but I know this family and it was appalling that anyone be put in this position.
    The family incidentally only got to know how bad things were after the DD ended up in hospital as she had kept it from them out of shame at not being able to cope.:eek:
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Housing benefit/LHA is nothing to do with the DWP, it's through the local council.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • So you would blame the DWP for a mistake of one employee?
  • Ames wrote: »
    Housing benefit/LHA is nothing to do with the DWP, it's through the local council.
    Sorry, yes I realise that but it was an employee at DWP who told the person not to bother applying for HB as they would not be eligible.
    Probably most of us would have gone to the actual awarding body but this petrson is very young, was seriously depressed (diagnosed) and didn't realise that you can double check these things.
  • So you would blame the DWP for a mistake of one employee?
    But it's not just ONE employee.
    In our area the DWP sucks.
    Big time.
    They either employ sub standard staff or their management is poor.
    Either way they give out a lot of seriously incorrect information.
  • But it's not just ONE employee.
    In our area the DWP sucks.
    Big time.
    They either employ sub standard staff or their management is poor.
    Either way they give out a lot of seriously incorrect information.
    I hope you never come here for advice as you will find alot of the regulars work at the DWP and will not be too happy to hear you calling them sub-standard.

As it happens they would not be entitled to HB/LHA if they lived with a close relative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure