When do CSA payments stop

Comments

• melis
    melis Posts: 19 Forumite
    My partner pays CSA for his special needs son who will be 19 in March ..he is at college for deaf and special needs and will be there till he is 23/24.. my question is will my partners payments stop when he is 19 or when he finishes college? Thanks for any advice..
  • melis wrote: »
    My partner pays CSA for his special needs son who will be 19 in March ..he is at college for deaf and special needs and will be there till he is 23/24.. my question is will my partners payments stop when he is 19 or when he finishes college? Thanks for any advice..

The CSA case will close in March, around the 19th birthday, however if your partner would still like to contribute beyond that then it would be down to him.
  • melis
    melis Posts: 19 Forumite
    My partner contributes other then the CSA now and will continue to do so ..my stepson is a resident at his college for special needs and we share all holidays /breaks equally .. but as we understand it he is also having benefits claimed on his behalf now as an adult ..Thank you for your reply.
  • My son is 18 and was attending college so I have continued to pay maintenance via the CSA. I have just been informed that he was removed from the course in October 2011 and has since been working part time in various jobs. I have been in touch with the CSA and they tell me that because child benefit is still being paid I am still liable. I have told them the college telephone number and who the course administrator is and asked them to check it out. Does anyone know whether I should still be paying? I dont have any contact with either my ex wife or my son as I live far away from them.
  • tombhoy wrote: »
    My son is 18 and was attending college so I have continued to pay maintenance via the CSA. I have just been informed that he was removed from the course in October 2011 and has since been working part time in various jobs. I have been in touch with the CSA and they tell me that because child benefit is still being paid I am still liable. I have told them the college telephone number and who the course administrator is and asked them to check it out. Does anyone know whether I should still be paying? I dont have any contact with either my ex wife or my son as I live far away from them.

Child benefit is just meant to be a rule of thumb, not the be all and end all. Call them back and tell them your fears that he has been removed from college, and pass on the college details. They should then contact his mam and see of she says he is still attending. If that's what she says then they're perfectly entitled to call the college. If she admits he's not going then they will close the case.
  • Child benefit is just meant to be a rule of thumb, not the be all and end all. Call them back and tell them your fears that he has been removed from college, and pass on the college details. They should then contact his mam and see of she says he is still attending. If that's what she says then they're perfectly entitled to call the college. If she admits he's not going then they will close the case.

Cheers for that. I have done exactly that so I should find out over the next couple of days. I will post the outcome.
  • tombhoy wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I have done exactly that so I should find out over the next couple of days. I will post the outcome.

Good luck. Another option is to report her for fraudulently child benefit, if that is indeed the case.
  • hi

stepdaughter was 18 in december and has been out of education since at least june 2011. She has recently started a job working 12 hours a week. Will the csa now close the case if we contact them???? want to find out before contact them as any contact in the past has resulted in a nightmare string of errors. Any advice please
  • vesper007 wrote: »
    hi

stepdaughter was 18 in december and has been out of education since at least june 2011. She has recently started a job working 12 hours a week. Will the csa now close the case if we contact them???? want to find out before contact them as any contact in the past has resulted in a nightmare string of errors. Any advice please

Hi mate. I am still waiting for the CSA to report back to me on my case. However I believe your payments should stop at the end of February as she is now 18 and out of full-time education. If she is claiming any benefits and/or child benefit has stopped your payments should stop immediately as she is over 18. Have a look at this:

Child leaves education or training - and is 18 or over

Your payments will normally carry on from the date your child leaves education or training that counts for Child Benefit, until the week that includes the earliest of these dates:
    the last day of February
    31 May
    31 August
    30 November
    But if one of the following happens, your payments will stop straightaway:
    your child starts paid work for 24 hours a week or more
    your child gets certain benefits, such as Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance, or tax credits in their own right
    your child reaches the age of 20
    You will need to report any of these changes to the Child Benefit Office.

I hope this helps mate, I have been there.
  • My son is 16 1/2 ands left school for an apprenticeship with Carillion Construction. He has passed his level 1 and is on placement of which he attends 4 days on site and 1 day a week back at Carillion.

He receives £96.20 per week but Carillion and CSA are telling me this is still classed as further education and I must continue paying for him until he completes his apprenticeship or leaves (also the ex receives Child tax credits as well).

My head is battered as I don't know what the Ex is telling the CSA and I'm hitting a brick wall with any help from them.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport