Best Pension Provider for Managing your Pension

I've noticed some real differences over the years with pension providers in how easy it is to transfer funds and make one off contributions, ask questions etc.

e.g I recently took a new plan for my wife with Aegon through Cavendish online. Their online system is good for transferring funds and keeping track but if you need to pay a lump sum or ask a question..... good luck. Have one with Re-Assure ex Barclays, ring them up and they are pretty good but try transferring funds; fax or letter and they don't action it for quite a while. Equitable Staff very helpful, ring them and funds transferred next day.

I need a new provider for around £30K I'm going to transfer out and make some more contributions with; I know I'm not going to put the required effort in for a SIPP.

Do you have a view on a good provider with flexible (I'd really prefer online) platform, good customer service, low charges and some good funds for a balanced portfolio? If so please let me know. Thank you.

Comments

• Retyre
    Retyre Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nobody really pleased with their pension provider?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Observation is that you are talking mostly about yesterday pension products and not modern ones.

Plus, you have recently bought an advisory product via a non-advised route. The Aegon product is not geared to the DIY market. They expect an intermediary to be doing all that. They can do so much but you shouldnt expect the standard of a firm that is truly catering for the DIY.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Retyre
    Thank you dunstonh. Fair comment re Aegon.

Can you please let me know what constitutes a modern v yesterday product?

I'm not saying I'm opposed to a modern product. I am saying that I know I wouldn't put the effort into (self select actively managed) SIPP. Surely there are members who are really pleased with their product and provider modern or yesterday?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can you please let me know what constitutes a modern v yesterday product?

Pensions began to loosen up on investment selection and features around mid 2005. However, whilst feature rich, they were expensive by todays standards. The move to the modern lower cost pensions with feature rich options was more 2010ish but really from 2012/13 onwards is where you see the most improvement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My adviser got me a pension with Just Retirement, I am very pleased with mine, thank you very much
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Retyre
    Many Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts