Lost all the BBC channels after switchover

Comments

• Try this:-

1) Remove aerial from back of Freeview box.
    2) Scan for new channels. This will obviously find nothing but will erase all traces of your old channels.
    3) Plug aerial back into Freview box.
    4) Scan for new channels again.
  • topofall
    topofall Posts: 20 Forumite
    Although I use Freesat for my main TV I retuned the Freeview built in tuner with no problem. I retuned my Media Centre, Desktop PC, Laptop PC and an old Thomson Digi Box. They were all fine except for the Digibox which now has the main channels on 800 up and instead of the signal coming from the Isle of Wight it is now coming from the Mendips!

I have tried the solution mentioned above by 'simcom' but it didn't work.

What they seem to have done is move the main channels on the transmitter so they avoid 'cross channel interference' from adjacent transmitters so putting them out on weaker signals.

As this area doesn't go 'digital' until 2012 I can see Sky and Freesat picking up a lot of business!
  • topofall wrote: »
    Although I use Freesat for my main TV I retuned the Freeview built in tuner with no problem. I retuned my Media Centre, Desktop PC, Laptop PC and an old Thomson Digi Box. They were all fine except for the Digibox which now has the main channels on 800 up and instead of the signal coming from the Isle of Wight it is now coming from the Mendips!

I have tried the solution mentioned above by 'simcom' but it didn't work.

What they seem to have done is move the main channels on the transmitter so they avoid 'cross channel interference' from adjacent transmitters so putting them out on weaker signals.

As this area doesn't go 'digital' until 2012 I can see Sky and Freesat picking up a lot of business!

Pull the aerial plug out while the box is scanning the 'Mendip' channels then it won't find them and only the Rowridge (Isle of Wight) channels will be stored.
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We live in Bournemouth and can't get any BBC channels on our HD ready newish tv now. The night before the switchover thingy we had all channels, the next morning, we rescan the tv and nothing from the BBC .My dh called them and they say we need a new aerial!!!! Why ????????
    Interestingly, our small tv in bedroom has a cheapy freeview box and that picks up all BBC channels since the re-scan. Go figure !!!!!
    I think its all a con- just to give aerial peeps more work!!
  • alanm_4
    alanm_4 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    marrbett wrote: »
    We live in Bournemouth and can't get any BBC channels on our HD ready newish tv now. The night before the switchover thingy we had all channels, the next morning, we rescan the tv and nothing from the BBC .My dh called them and they say we need a new aerial!!!! Why ????????
    Interestingly, our small tv in bedroom has a cheapy freeview box and that picks up all BBC channels since the re-scan. Go figure !!!!!
    I think its all a con- just to give aerial peeps more work!!

Here in nearby Ferndown we had a similar problem - new TV incl Freeview but lost all BBC after switch and rescan while computer with plug-in USB DTV thingy picked all up no problem. When I rang they told me it was the aerial too, until I pointed out that the USB-DTV was plugged into the same aerial as the TV. They tried the "old TV" excuse but we bought it 4 months ago. I refused to stop pestering them and currently they are claiming they have discovered a glitsch in their upgrade work on the Rowridge transmitter which they are now working on fixing. They reckon it will be working (as will all the BBC channels) by the end of April. All I could do was moan at them for not publicising this info and leaving it to me to chase it up. Now awaiting end of April ...
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    alanm wrote: »
    Here in nearby Ferndown we had a similar problem - new TV incl Freeview but lost all BBC after switch and rescan while computer with plug-in USB DTV thingy picked all up no problem. When I rang they told me it was the aerial too, until I pointed out that the USB-DTV was plugged into the same aerial as the TV. They tried the "old TV" excuse but we bought it 4 months ago. I refused to stop pestering them and currently they are claiming they have discovered a glitsch in their upgrade work on the Rowridge transmitter which they are now working on fixing. They reckon it will be working (as will all the BBC channels) by the end of April. All I could do was moan at them for not publicising this info and leaving it to me to chase it up. Now awaiting end of April ...

Thanks for this, we have tried unplugging stuff, bought a booster, re-scanned a million times all to no avail. i guess we have to be patient til the end of April then !!!
    Sigh, I wish we'd never had a tv.....
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2009 at 12:47AM
    after the first change over i rescanned my digital tv and lost a few channels. i questioned this over in the money saving arms and was pointed in the direction of this site http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/west_country/beacon_hill
    which basicaly says that after the 2nd part of the changover happened a retune would bring all the channels back.
    i did a retune and lost everything, turned out that my 4 year old, £800 digital tv is not compatable with the new 8k broadcasts, if id known this was going to happen i would have bought a non digital one for half the cost.

if anyone is having problems, here is a list of boxes and tvs that will be useless after tha switchover
    ONdigital

Alba / Bush
    ONdigital sets STB ported inside IDTVs 1998 *

Nokia

Mediamaster 9850T Set Top Box 1998-2002 *

Pace
    DTR730 Set Top Box *

DTR735 Set Top Box *

Philips

DTX 6370 Set Top Box Nov98-Aug01 *

DTX 6371 Set Top Box " *
    DTX 6372 Set Top Box " *

Pioneer

DBRT200 Set Top Box *

DBRT210 Set Top Box *

Sony

VTX-D500 Set Top Box *

Toshiba
    DTB2000 Set Top Box *

Freeview Fusion
    FRT100 Set Top Box 2004 *

Pace
    DTVA-T (Wedge Adaptor) Set Top Box 2001 *
    DT210F Set Top Box 2003 *

Samsung
    SIRU200i (Without M suffix) Set Top Box 2003 *

Hitachi
    28WDDODTN 28" IDTV 1998-2000 *
    32WD40DTN 32" IDTV " *

D36W840DTN 36" IDTV " *

Panasonic

TX-28DT2 28" IDTV ? *
    TX-32DT2 32" IDTV ? *

Philips

28DW6734 28" IDTV April-Oct 99 *
    32DW6834 32" IDTV *

32DW9625 32" IDTV 30.04.01 *
    28DW6557 28" IDTV 10.07.02 *

32DW6557 32" IDTV 10.07.02 *

Sanyo

CE28DFN1-B 28" IDTV *
    CE32DFN1-B 32" IDTV *

CE28DFN2-B 28" IDTV 2004 *

CE32DFN2-B 32" IDTV " *

CE32DFN2BK-B 32" IDTV *

CE28DWN1-B 28" IDTV *

CE28DFN3-B-00 28" IDTV *
    CE32DFN3-B-00 32" IDTV *

CE30LD3-B 30" IDTV *

CE30LD3BK-B 30" IDTV *

CE27LD3-B 27" IDTV *

CE23LD4-B 23" IDTV *

CE23LD4W-B 23" IDTV *

CE27LD4-B 27" IDTV *

CE27LD4BK-B 27" IDTV *

CE32LD4-B 32" IDTV *

CE32LD4BK-B 32" IDTV *

CE27LD5-B 27" IDTV *

CE32LD5-B 32" IDTV *

Sony

28DS60 28" IDTV 1998 *
    32DS60 32" IDTV " *

28DS65 28" IDTV 2001 *

32DS65 32" IDTV " *

28DX20 28" IDTV " *

32DX20 32" IDTV " *

28DX30 28" IDTV 2000 *

32DX30 32" IDTV 2000 *

28DS20 28" IDTV 1999 *

32DS20 32" IDTV 1999 *

KP41DS1 41" IDTV 1999 *

KP51DS1 51" IDTV 2000 *

KP51DS2 51" IDTV 2002 *

KD28DX40 28" IDTV 2001 *

KD32DX40 32" IDTV 2001 *

KD32DX100 32" IDTV 2002 *

KD32NX100 32" IDTV 2002 *

KD32NX200 32" IDTV 2002 *

KD36NX200 36" IDTV 2002 *

Toshiba

28WT98B 28" IDTV Feb 2000 *
    32WT98B 32" IDTV Feb 2000 *

28ZT29B 28" IDTV Nov 2003 *

32ZT29B 32" IDTV March 2004 *

36ZT29B 36" IDTV October 2003 *

42WT29B 42" IDTV May 2004 *

50WT29B 50" IDTV May 2004 *
    57WT29B 57"IDTV Feb 2004
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • Mine is the Sanyo CE28DFN3-B which as shown on the list above is not compatable with the changeover (have lost channels 1-4) despite having the digtal 'tick' on the tv. I have contacted the shop where it was purchased (tv nearly 4 years old) as I have an extended 5 year guarantee. They didnt want to know. Does anyone know if I have any legal rights on this?

Thanks
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Haven

I have a Panasonic which will be u/s after switchover

"Which" legal advised as my set was over 6 years old then statute barred from recovering any costs howeveras yours is 4 years then the shop would be responsible for selling none DTV compliant specification TV ( The orignal DTV spec included this upgrade change but some of the manufactures decided to ignore it in the rush to get sets to market and basically supplied none compliant equipment which should not have the digital tic mark).

I emailed Panasonic who also wasn't interested due to older than 6 years however they did agreed to refund a sum equilivant to a set top box against receipts.

You don't have to dump yout TV just get a settop box and connect to the TV

Hope this helps
  • Hi,

Writing from the Anglia region - Colchester in fact.

I see that you started this thread a long time ago and things are probably and hopefully long sorted for you. We had our regional switchover on 06 July 2011 - yesterday. I used factory reset yesterday and retuned again yesterday and I factor reset yesterday again - but on each occasion I had lost BBC1, BBC2 and BBC2. I used factory reset today and the outcome was the same. I tried factory reset with the aerial socket out then did another factory reset with the aerial back in - the same outcome as yesterday. I'm angry about it.

On top of this I have another issue. I bought my Dion freeview box with recording facility over a week ago. Since I've had it I've not been able to record either manually or via the plan option - I get the message "Media not alive". I'm goiing to try the box at someone else's house then if it still doesn't record I'm going to take it back. But this issue pre-existed the switch over and exists after it too. I changed the coax lead - no difference. There's very little information in the manual - nothing about "Media not alive", and nothing to explain why I can't format the disk and why it claims my disk is full and why when I attempt to go into the planner I get "please wait" but it sticks on that and I'm left waiting forever. Logically the equipment is faulty - which will be confirmed if I can't record at someone else's house with this equipment.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed with freeview before switchover either. I couldn't get itv1, ch4, ch5 and their +1 channels where it was worth watching them. Same now after switchover.

I didn't want to go to sky or even freesat - but I might end up doing so.

Anyone in the Anglia region experiencing the same? Anyone elsewhere experienced this in their earlier switchovers?

And has anyone experienced not being able to record at all on their Dion freeview receiver and recorder?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure