Alliance & Leicester (merged)

Comments

• sam84uk
    sam84uk Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Hi there,

I notice that A&L charge 50p a day for being within your authorised O/D and this is capped at £5.

Is this the same for the £5 a day that they charge for exceeding your authorised overdraft? i.e. is it capped or is it a case of if you were over your O/D for 100 days you'd be charged £500?

Thanks for any replies, I'm off out for the afternoon now but will check back later.

Thanks again.
    :smileyhea Proud Mummy of 2 :smileyhea
    Totally addicted to Boots glitches & the Next sales!
  • sam84uk
    sam84uk Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Hmmm, reading the above posts I guess that answers my question! They'd happily charge you £5 per day for infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :smileyhea Proud Mummy of 2 :smileyhea
    Totally addicted to Boots glitches & the Next sales!
  • Greg1974
    Greg1974 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I've received my latest statement from A+L, to find another £30 charge is to be applied to
    my account on 9th Feb, listed as "Exceeding Overdraft Fee". The reason for the overdraft
    being exceeded was their most recent "Exceeding Overdraft Fee" taking me overdrawn!

So, essentially ... I'm being charged another £30 for being charged £30 . . . !
  • This has been my first nasty experience with a bank and for me it has really exposed the evil hairy underbelly of that industry. And of course it is an industry - ruthless, merciless and designed to distort the last penny from hapless well-meaning customers. I mean, for gods sake, we give our custom to a bank to save our money and perhaps make a little interest - not end up down on the deal.

I have been into our local A&L branch 4 times this week and had numerous dead-end conversations on the phone to customer service. They have all told different information from their colleagues. They have all implied that there might be a course of action we could take to stop the rot, stop our situation getting worse - but when you actually try and start that course of action, they'll tell you it can't be done for a whatever reason they cook up. It is a process of deflection and passing the buck. Here's our system, go and get lost in it, but don't expect to resolve this issue without driving yourself to despair first.

So, the message is "there might be a course of action". The reality is, the only course of action you can take is pay up, and wait for some unspecified period normal banking services can be resumed.

Spitting mad

shavedchimp
  • Is There Anyone Out There That Can Give Me Some Advice On Which Way To Charge These Muppets.
    I Have Written To Them To Say,if Your Waiting For The Result Of The Test Case,can I Take It That Youre Not Going To Put Anymore Charges On Me.
    They Cant Even Be Bothered To Reply Back
  • Hi All,

i had a letter through from A&L last regarding my premierplus account saying my overdraft limit had been exceeded by 98p (£250.98). I immediately went to the bank and paid in £20 to bring it in line. However, i recieved a letter yesterday saying my account was £65 overdrawn... the cheeky gets had been charging me £5 a day for exceeding the limit, and to top it off, i phoned them today to try and get the charges removed, they tell me its now actually £95 i owe and counting.

The kind lady said she'd send an email to the relevant department requesting a "good will refund" but to expect no more than £50 at most, if at all.

What do i do, transfer the balance onto my CC and take it as lesson learnt (an expensive one at that) or should i fight it, unbelievable how 98p ends up costing £98 in 2 weeks!
  • Jinx.
    I have just had a very similar argument down the phone with Alliance & Leicester, tycooncico.
    In December I went overdrawn by about 50p for 1 day so they charged me £5. I noticed a few days later and immediately phoned them up to set up an overdraft so it didnt happen again from direct debits etc and was told it would be refunded since they were supposed to send a letter to inform me. Great I thought, and ignored the account again (its just for household bills so money just goes in then out again).

Got a letter yesterday saying that our rent payment had bounced so they charged us £25. I knew the money was definately in there so looked online and the cheeky wotsits had charged a total of another £80 worth of overdraft charges - all because of that one £5 which they said they'd refund!!! :mad:

I phoned today and was told that they couldnt be refunded til this whole court case malarky was resolved and that the first woman was wrong, that since it was an internet account I would not receive letters about charges. I pointed out it was bank error and she said she'd pass it on and it might be refunded in a few weeks. That's basically what she told me in december and it clearly wasnt. What exactly am I supposed to do until then? Just keep getting charges? If I had the £85 it would be in there and its their fault anyway so why should i pay it in?!
    It's ridiculous.

So anyway - advice:
    Bearing in mind that they didn't do anything about it last time (and I have had a bit of a history of A&L being lazy wotsits) do you think I should write to them explaining all this, or should I rely on the telephone advisor actually doing their job and passing my charges to the right people??
    Also, how long should I wait til I harass them / the ombudsman?
    And should I be able to get the £85 to pay in, do you think I should? I'm torn between not wanting to risk more charges that might not be refunded and it not being my fault I was charged so why should I pay it in. :confused:

• And should I be able to get the £85 to pay in, do you think I should? I'm torn between not wanting to risk more charges that might not be refunded and it not being my fault I was charged so why should I pay it in. :confused:

mate i was torn with the same situation, i've just paid it to get the account into the agreed limits, if a refund comes through happy days! Soon as i can pay this burden off the better, cant wait to close this sh*tty account - excuse the french
  • Since I wrote my last message I have discovered that in addition to the other errors they shouldn't have even charged me. Basically after the initial £5 charge, I set up my arranged overdraft (only £50 altho they offered more) and the charges they made following this were for 'exceeding' the agreed overdraft when I hadn't. I phoned them again to tell them that and spoke to someone with a few more braincells who said they'd send it to refund department and ring back in 3 days.
    So fingers crossed I'll have good news next week!
  • I opened an new bank account online with Aliance and leicester online, unwittingly i also opened a saver account that had a standing order to be paid into it each month from my new current account. Due to personal issues i did not manage to get my pay changed to be paid into this account and they tried to take two months standing orders out, as I didm't have an overdraft they have been charging me £5 a day for about 2 months as well as the £50 charge for the failed standing orders. I have still not paid any money into the account as there is about £300 in debt, I have called the helpline a number of time and they have been no help, now i have written to the head office to request they refund the charges, I am still waiting for a response.
    How do I stand as i have not paid for these charges? Should I hold out and not pay until they refund them or should i pay them then go down the route of reclaiming the charges?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure