Boost Your Airmiles Discussion Area

Comments

• lullybubs wrote: »
    I have done exactly this. I have used my airmiles to book a ticket in someone elses name within the last month. Please be assured that even though I may be a new poster, I wouldn't offer an answer like that unless I was certain of the facts.

I know that you can definitely book for other people who are travelling with you as part of your party. My only question was about booking for one or more people who are not travelling with you as the actual Air Miles collector.

However judging from Section 4 of their Terms and Conditions you would appear to be correct.

See www.airmiles.co.uk/tertiary/tsandcs.do
    4. Using AIR MILES

a. When Airmiles have appeared on your account,you can spend them by booking our exclusive offers. Airmiles bookings are subject to availability, some routes may have limited allocation especially during peak periods. The total number of seats available for Airmiles bookings will vary from route to route and from week to week depending on commercial demand. Your first choice of one of our offers may not always be available so please have alternative offers in mind. Please do not make any related arrangements until we have confirmed the offer you are booking.

b. If you’re flying direct from a regional airport (ie airports outside London) to an international destination, add 500 miles to the usual zone fare. If your regional airport doesn’t have flights to your chosen destination, we can often book you flights to a UK airport that does – for the usual zone fare plus 500 miles for every internal UK flight needed (connections must be on the same day). If you’re only flying to a UK city, at least one flight will be the usual zone fare.

c. You may use your Airmiles for anyone as long as you, the account holder, contact us to make the booking. You may use Airmiles for up to nine people in any one booking.

d. You cannot transfer, sell or use Airmiles for any other purpose except as we allow under the terms of any offer. If you die, Airmiles may be transferred to an account in the name of one of your beneficiaries. We must be shown a copy of the will and the death certificate. If you try to transfer Airmiles in any other way, we may take action against you.
  • lullybubs
    lullybubs Posts: 17 Forumite
    I'm glad the T & C's back up my answer. Certainly wouldn't have wanted Airmiles to have given me duff information when I made the booking with them last month for the tickets I booked.
  • giovanni
    giovanni Posts: 415
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have heard of people who have booked for others but the account holder must be there to book and make it clear that they are allowing this to happen.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    giovanni wrote: »
    I have heard of people who have booked for others but the account holder must be there to book and make it clear that they are allowing this to happen.

Thank you all for your answers.

That is no problem, I would be the one to do the booking anyway. Going to the wedding in Vienna in summer and while me and my OH are driving there and back, his son who is going with us wants to go home straight after the wedding while we have another week off so I was thinking of using my miles to send him home (he is old enough).
  • kavics17
    kavics17 Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Yes, I booked it for OH as well, it was not a problem but I needed to answer the security questions. You should be fine.
  • Any wrote: »
    his son who is going with us wants to go home straight after the wedding while we have another week off so I was thinking of using my miles to send him home (he is old enough).

Beware though that Air Miles no longer lets you do One Way flights from say Vienna to London. You have to book a return flight starting from the UK.

One ways are only available to BA Miles holders but their fares still charge substantial amounts of airport passenger fees and government taxes, unlike Air Miles, so are not really worthwhile on short haul European routes anyway (where passenger fees and taxes are a large part of the total bill).

So he would have to fly out and back rather than drive with you one way and fly back the other. He could of course fly out one way and then throw away the return ticket if he was driving back with you but if you don't show for the outbound flight then your return is usually automatically cancelled in my experience.
  • I've got quite a few Tesco clubcard vouchers and want to transfer them into Airmiles.

I've never done it before and I know that Airmiles had a promotion on recently, whereby if it was the first time you made the swap you could get double Airmiles*

Does anyone know a why to do this, or has that offer ended?

*This is completely different/separate from Tesco’s double points offer
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
  • I've never done it before and I know that Airmiles had a promotion on recently, whereby if it was the first time you made the swap you could get double Airmiles*

Does anyone know a why to do this, or has that offer ended

See post #432 of this thread at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=29766677&postcount=432

The cut off date is March 21st for converting your Tesco Clubcard vouchers at double the normal rate (if you have never converted any Clubcard vouchers to Air Miles before) on the Tesco Clubcard website.

As to why to do it only do it if you think you can collect enough Air Miles to reach a particular destination you want to travel to and it is a destination on which Air Miles usually have reasonable availability (i.e. therefore not anywhere in Australia or New Zealand).
  • lullybubs
    lullybubs Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've got quite a few Tesco clubcard vouchers and want to transfer them into Airmiles.

I've never done it before and I know that Airmiles had a promotion on recently, whereby if it was the first time you made the swap you could get double Airmiles*

Does anyone know a why to do this, or has that offer ended?

It does depend on how many Clubcard vouchers as to whether it is worth it or not, but if you have a fair amount say £120 this will be exchanged for 5760 airmiles with the double mileage promotion. You only need 5000 miles to get you a flight to anywhere in zone 4 on the airmiles site. Cities included in this zone include New York, Abu Dhabi, Boston among others. The great thing about airmiles is that taxes are included so there are no hidden fees to pay. You do have to look at the site to see where is available but we have had many holidays using airmiles and I can't complain.

To exchange your Clubcard vouchers for airmiles, you just go onto the Tesco website and exchange the vouchers in the usual way, just picking airmiles as your choice. If you don't have an airmiles account then one will automatically be opened for you. You will then get a pack from Airmiles with all your account details. Then, the extra bonus airmiles are added up to 28 days later to your account as long as you haven't exchanged Tesco Clubcard vouchers for airmiles before.
    Imho I think it's a great way of getting a free flight for basically your loyalty to Tesco. As I said, we've had lots of lovely flights on airmiles. You just have to do a bit of homework as to where is available and be flexible. Obviously school hols and xmas and Easter availability goes very quickly.
  • ernie-money
    ernie-money Posts: 810
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've just taken advantage of the double miles promo and converted my Tesco points to airmiles. The miles have just been credited to my Airmiles account, but I got a lot more miles than I was expecting! In the description field on my recent transactions it says "52224636 TESCO MILES AWARD AT 80 MILE RATE" and it has indeed converted my points at a rate of 80 miles per £2.50 in points, (£238.50 in points = 7632 miles).
    I'm obviously not complaining about this, but I'm just wondering why, and more importantly whether I will still get my double miles on top of this - any idea anyone?
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure