How not to look like a self diagnosing hypocondriac?

Comments

• Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    As a nurse who works as in an NHS outpatient department, can I say that we like patients who have done a bit of research, as long as they believe what they are told when they get to us rather than a bit of anecdotal stuff from the internet!

I also have to say that SOME GPs are very bad at referring patients to us. We get people coming along for a first appointment when they should have been seen by us years before.

Don't be afraid of telling your gp what you think is wrong. I didn't push hard enough for a gynae referal for myself when I thought I needed surgery. I Hung on for years suffering at home and being fobbed off with GPs telling me I should just learn to cope. Eventually I broke down at an appointment about something unrelated but they referred me and the hospital consultant was horrified I wasnt seen sooner and operated on me as an urgent case.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I have an underactive thyroid. I only found out about it last year when I had blood tests done as part of a "Well Woman" check.My cholestrol is raised too-this may be due to the thyroid problem althugh it was still up after 6 months on levothyroxine.

Does your GP not offer some kind of "Well Woman" check?

Apparently thyroid problems very common in the area where i live

The only symptoms I had were feeling tired which I put down to the stress of various family problems and a slight weight gain which I put down to my age.

Do go to your GP and ask for a blood test. If it is thyroid it won't get better without treatment
  • Pthree
    Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
    Ok so saw the Dr and after running through what was wrong he suggested the blood test and gave me some AD's which so far are doing nothing apart from making me feel worse at the moment.

I have had my test and got the results today, not sure I understand them all.

I have a Vit D deficieny the levels are very low and abnormal serum folate level (whatever that is?)

I really dont understand the thyroid results but it says they are normal.

Saw a different doctor AGAIN who told me everything was fine packed me off with some vitamins, told me to eat more fruit and veg and handed me my coat :mad:

I love F&V and have always eaten over the 5-a-day I dont get as much sunshine as I would like to but I live in the UK who does????

I wasnt expecting a miracle cure but more of a "ok we know its not that it so heres what we do next" sort of thing

I guess I just have to wait and see if the AD's kick now but I dont feel like anything has been resolved....

P3
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know that in dogs (and I believe it's the same in humans) a simple thyroid test can come back OK despite someone being hyper or hypothyroid. There are various hormones involved in the function of the thyroid - the basic thyroid check only checks the levels of one, but a deficiency or overproduction of the others can affect how the body deals with/converts this main hormone. That's a non-scientific, summed up explanation anyway. I know in dogs, there is a vet in the USA who analyses the 5 different levels tested but I don't know how easy it would be to request/get all the levels tested through the NHS - perhaps do some research (my experience is only through dogs, so can't be more specific, sorry!).
    Interestingly, if you look up "thyroid vitamin D", it turns out vitamin D is actually used in the process of converting these thyroid hormones - so a deficiency of vitamin D could cause thyroid problems itself (especially, it seems - from a quick look - in the autoimmune thyroid problems, which are ones that often aren't detected with the basic thyroid test). I know we can't give medical advice but if it were me, I would perhaps, at the very least, look into a decent supplement (not just any old OTC tablets from Tesco) and see if that helps the symptoms.
  • Pthree
    edited 28 March 2012 at 10:09PM
    I posted before trying to look up a bit more info and there seem to be lots of things relating to vit d and thyroid problem but also vit d and depression, vit d and skin problems, vit d and muscle and bone aches etc. Symptoms often found with thyroid problems, are the same as is a low vit d count, but they aren't mutually exclusive if you know what I mean.

My issue with this is I have been taking (I admit only when I remember, but at the very least 3 times a week) Vit D pills for about a month now, so about 2 weeks, before the blood test, after walking into Holland & Barrett and almost crying for some help.

After some online research I have found the serum folate to be folic acid, which according to the interweb only old people pregnant ladies and alcholics get.

The receptionist on my way out called me back to make another appointment in 3 months as the 'Dr must have forgotten to tell me' i needed another test, she also did that head to the side "how are you feeling?" (Friends fans will know what I mena!!) after getting my mental health form thing last time. Perhaps I should have burst into tears like I felt lol.

Good to know I im in the good company of German Shepards and Labradors though lolol.

P3
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pthree wrote: »
    I posted before trying to look up a bit more info and there seem to be lots of things relating to vit d and thyroid problem but also vit d and depression, vit d and skin problems, vit d and muscle and bone aches etc. Symptoms often found with thyroid problems, are the same as is a low vit d count, but they aren't mutually exclusive if you know what I mean.

My issue with this is I have been taking (I admit only when I remember, but at the very least 3 times a week) Vit D pills for about a month now, so about 2 weeks, before the blood test, after walking into Holland & Barrett and almost crying for some help.

After some online research I have found the serum folate to be folic acid, which according to the interweb only old people pregnant ladies and alcholics get.

The receptionist on my way out called me back to make another appointment in 3 months as the 'Dr must have forgotten to tell me' i needed another test, she also did that head to the side "how are you feeling?" (Friends fans will know what I mena!!) after getting my mental health form thing last time. Perhaps I should have burst into tears like I felt lol.

Good to know I im in the good company of German Shepards and Labradors though lolol.

P3

Not sure if you had a record of the thyroid tests, they test for certain hormone level. I had mine tested at the request of a gyno last year and the results were sent via letter to both my GP and myself, also a blurb below stating the results were normal.

It was only when I had just a little too much time on my hands I was reading something else about hormones, thought I'd check mine against the "normal" range and see where I sat. Turns I was boraderline for so many!

The results were by then several months old and I had wanted to speak to the gynochologist about them, only the wonderful gynocologist service I had again sent me another locum appointment and then cancelled it (they have done this to me more times then I can count) and now I have to be re-referred and start the waiting list all over again! But at least now I know to question their blurb as from my experience at least, they can be wrong. If you have the stats it may be worth asking your doctor were exactly you sit in the 'healthy range'.

I had (by coincidence) a blood test for vitamin D not so long ago after another doctor thought that this was the reason for my back pain. I was told it was low, she showed me the results yet I was within range, just at the base of it. (Result was an injection I'd rather not repeat!) It strikes me as odd that what is low for one doctor is not low for another.
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have a look at this forum about thyroid disease, some people here have had the same experience and can advise you
  • Pthree
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Not sure if you had a record of the thyroid tests, they test for certain hormone level. I had mine tested at the request of a gyno last year and the results were sent via letter to both my GP and myself, also a blurb below stating the results were normal.

It was only when I had just a little too much time on my hands I was reading something else about hormones, thought I'd check mine against the "normal" range and see where I sat. Turns I was boraderline for so many!

The results were by then several months old and I had wanted to speak to the gynochologist about them, only the wonderful gynocologist service I had again sent me another locum appointment and then cancelled it (they have done this to me more times then I can count) and now I have to be re-referred and start the waiting list all over again! But at least now I know to question their blurb as from my experience at least, they can be wrong. If you have the stats it may be worth asking your doctor were exactly you sit in the 'healthy range'.

I had (by coincidence) a blood test for vitamin D not so long ago after another doctor thought that this was the reason for my back pain. I was told it was low, she showed me the results yet I was within range, just at the base of it. (Result was an injection I'd rather not repeat!) It strikes me as odd that what is low for one doctor is not low for another.

My Vit D level was 14mmol (I'm not sure if that is the right measure, its something like that) apprently normal levels are between 80 - 150.

I struggling on the thyroid figures it think it was was 2.4 and 10. 2 for the T4 and THS which it said was normal ( have a copy of the test at home, those figures might be the wrong way around)) although I cant find two websites that agree what normal is, this does appear to fall in within normal ranges.
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My Vit D level was 14mmol (I'm not sure if that is the right measure, its something like that) apprently normal levels are between 80 - 150.

I struggling on the thyroid figures it think it was was 2.4 and 10. 2 for the T4 and THS which it said was normal ( have a copy of the test at home, those figures might be the wrong way around)) although I cant find two websites that agree what normal is, this does appear to fall in within normal ranges.
    it falls within the normal ranges for the doctors but some people would say the TSH is too high and people feel their best when it is around 1, also your T4 looks low. I have the same problem but haven't been back to the GP yet, I would like to be tested for thyroid antibodies as autoimmune diseases run in my family, I have very similar symptoms to you
  • tinkle
    tinkle Posts: 156 Forumite
    I have had various health issues over the past 3 years all of which have been treated as seperate things but nothing is ever cured or even managed.

Sick and desperate of feeling quite so bad with one of my symptoms a little googling took place which took me to a list of symptoms for underactive thyroids of which I can say that I seem to have around 85%.

So what is the best way to approach this with the Dr?

I have one of those surgerys where you never seem the same Dr twice which makes building any up any kind of rapport with them hard and they also never seem to have the time to go through stuff with you (10min consults only!) and have no idea of your history.

Is it just a case of saying look I want to be tested for this?
    Or is there a better way to go?

Thanks in advance.
    P3

I am in the same position as you. I thought my symptoms were down to my contraception. I have put on over 2 stone, my hair is noticibly falling out. I have joined the gym and eat very healthily and have lost no weight. Other syptoms such as forgetfulness, clumsiness, fatigue ( even after having a good nights sleep) very itchy skin...i am at my wits end with this. It is the lack of weight loss that is affecting me the most at the moment. I also want to go to my Dr and request a blood test, but like you, do not want to seem like a hypocondriac!

Can anybody tell me how long it took from getting your blood test, to a positive diagnosis, to treatment?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family