The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Registry Office Wedding

2»

Comments

• inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    If you are wanting a smaller wedding - have you considered a non-conformist church? There weddings are lovely and many do not charge (I do not charge), as the registrar has to attend to do the registration (hence the listing on the registrars details for 'approved premesis'. just throwing something else in to the pot.
  • inkie what is a non conformist church i have not heard of one. as i have been married before i thought a church would not necessary marry us plus my partner has not been christened.
    2010 - Goals

1. on the long road to hopefully adopting a child - Home Visit 3 Feb 2010

2. Planning to clear my credit card debt.

3. lose weight.

• We had a low-key register office wedding 3 weeks ago. The costs are £30 each when you give 'notice' of your intention to marry then £43.50 on the day - total £103.50 which includes 1 certificate. You have to give 'notice' at the register office in the distrct where you live but you can get married at any other office. We got married outside our district as our local one isn't very nice. The one we chose is in a splendid old building (made fab photo's) with loads of character. Nowadays you can have pretty much what you want in a register office wedding (even a choice in the wording). You can have bridesmaids, best man, someone to give the bride away etc or simply the 2 witnesses thing. We were impressed with the flexibility of it all. I'm sure the above costs are standard but perhaps some register offices charge more for additional services. Ours didn't though and the building, the ceremony rooms and the staff were lovely. It couldn't have been better. Hope you find something equally suitable and have a wonderful day.

'Live simply so that others may simply live'
  • Many thanks for all your comments i have now booked the reception venue and have to wait til the beginning of June to book the registry office for next year, i found very helpful hints and pointers.
    Thanks all
    2010 - Goals

1. on the long road to hopefully adopting a child - Home Visit 3 Feb 2010

2. Planning to clear my credit card debt.

3. lose weight.

• inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    inkie what is a non conformist church i have not heard of one. as i have been married before i thought a church would not necessary marry us plus my partner has not been christened.

Sorry for the delay in answering - a church other than the C of E, for example, methodist, baptist, salvation army, etc. Not being 'Christened' is not an issue. Neither is one of you being married previously necessarily a bar to being married in church. If you require any fruther information them PM me.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to the Weddings and Anniversaries board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kaz2721
    kaz2721 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Me & my OH got married in a Registery Office 2 years ago as we only wanted a small 'do' with immediate family ... was the best day of my life! :D

Our son was the Page Boy and our Daughter was my Flower Girl, my sister was my "matron of honour" and we had a best man too!! :j

The only thing a didn't like the idea of was being interviewed together before the ceremony. As I didn't want my OH to see me before - for obvious reasons / traditions. Therefore, we asked if this could be done seperately and this was no problem at all. All the guests were seated before I made my "grand" entrance with my Dad walking me down the "aisle". Absolutely fantastic day. :j :j :j
  • I am getting married in Guildford registry office and it is costing £230!!!!

I am so glad I just read this thread! I had no idea that we had to give an order of marriage etc etc. I just rang Guildford Borough Council and asked them loads of questions - the woman was lovely!

Call your local council if you are worried about anything - they so know what they are talking about!
    Lydia

:T :beer:
  • I am getting married in Guildford registry office and it is costing £230!!!!

I am so glad I just read this thread! I had no idea that we had to give an order of marriage etc etc. I just rang Guildford Borough Council and asked them loads of questions - the woman was lovely!

Call your local council if you are worried about anything - they so know what they are talking about!

HEY IM IN THE SAME SITUATION. MY OTHER HALF RECENTLY PROPOSED THE TROUBLE IS I HAV NO IDEA WHERE TO EVEN START. HE'S IN THE ARMY WHICH MEANS WE WANT THE WEDDING PRETTY SHARPISH, SOMETIME IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS WAS OUR ORIGINAL PLAN.I HAVE NO IDEA WERE TO EVEN START. WE HAVE DECIDED WE WANT A REGISTRY OFFICE TO SAVE MONEY AND BECAUSE WE JUST WANT 2 BE ABLE TO C EACH OTHER MORE THAN WE ARE. I PERSONALLY WANT 2 GET MARRIED AS SOON AS. LAST MONTH WOULDNT OF SUITED ME LOL. CAN NE1 HELP ME. SORRY BOUT THE CAPS LOL.:o
  • HEY IM IN THE SAME SITUATION. MY OTHER HALF RECENTLY PROPOSED THE TROUBLE IS I HAV NO IDEA WHERE TO EVEN START. HE'S IN THE ARMY WHICH MEANS WE WANT THE WEDDING PRETTY SHARPISH, SOMETIME IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS WAS OUR ORIGINAL PLAN.I HAVE NO IDEA WERE TO EVEN START. WE HAVE DECIDED WE WANT A REGISTRY OFFICE TO SAVE MONEY AND BECAUSE WE JUST WANT 2 BE ABLE TO C EACH OTHER MORE THAN WE ARE. I PERSONALLY WANT 2 GET MARRIED AS SOON AS. LAST MONTH WOULDNT OF SUITED ME LOL. CAN NE1 HELP ME. SORRY BOUT THE CAPS LOL.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure