struggling to sell my car

Options
kmb500
kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi, I am trying to sell my car and not having much luck. The car has some bad rust underneath which I have made clear in adverts, fair enough some people will be put off but I am selling it at significantly less what it would otherwise be worth.

However I am really struggling to sell it for a half decent price. Its been on autotrader and ebay for 2 weeks, I have had 6000 views on my advert but am getting nowhere.
Does anyone have any advice please on how to sell a car that has some problems .

The car is a 2002 Mazda MX-5 if that is of any use.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    The rot underneath will be a big off putter for anyone looking a cheap runabout for the summer, so you're in to the realms of hoping someone will buy it as a project.

Is it the one on there leading with "needs some rust work"?

I personally wouldnt lead with it needing work. I'd show the pictures of the rear arches and sills as the last couple of shots.

I'd also lead with the good points of the car - its the rarer 1.8 model, its a UK car not a jap import, its got full leather interior, stainless steel exhaust, upgrades, etc and emphasise how well it drives.

I'd put as a one liner at the end of the advert "may well need some remedial work to the sills at some point but driving great".

I dont think the price is far away - it would break into that for parts.

If all else fails, post it on ebay £99 starting price and take what you can get for it.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is your asking price?
    ====
  • motorguy
    Options
  • kmb500
    Options
    Hi, yes that is my car. I want to be honest and not mislead people, and feel that it's more straightforward if I am upfront about the rust.

Maybe I will re word the advert but I don't think there's any way of really avoiding the question of the rust, so might as well be up front about it.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That rust will be expensive and difficult to repair properly with new panels cut in and probably a respray. At that sort of age it's more about condition than anything else.

If you click on the back button on the above Autotrader link there are several cars of a similar price in much better condition (at first sight), albeit a couple of years older.
  • kmb500
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    That rust will be expensive and difficult to repair properly with new panels cut in and probably a respray. At that sort of age it's more about condition than anything else.

If you click on the back button on the above Autotrader link there are several cars of a similar price in much better condition (at first sight), albeit a couple of years older.
    yes and unfortunately all MX-5s of that generation suffer from the same rust problems.

I think Motorguy is probably right, I need to re-write my advert a little. Clearly the current one hasn't been very successful. I just don't want to mislead people or lie to them. If I hook them into thinking the car's a bargain then they come view it, see the rust and walk away, then its a waste of my time.
  • motorguy
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    yes and unfortunately all MX-5s of that generation suffer from the same rust problems.

I think Motorguy is probably right, I need to re-write my advert a little. Clearly the current one hasn't been very successful. I just don't want to mislead people or lie to them. If I hook them into thinking the car's a bargain then they come view it, see the rust and walk away, then its a waste of my time.

Yes, they all do of that era. I'd an 03 one and even the bulk head was rotten. :eek:

I think there is a lot of merit with your car - its MOT'd for the summer, its the right colour, its got leather, its a UK car and a mk2.5 car which is a big plus over the mk2 and would make a great winter project for someone. I just think leading with the huge negative is a turn off. Pitch the positives first and then mention the rust. You might find that what you think is a "big" problem might not be for someone else who has a mate whos handy with a welder etc, so i'd not go too heavy on it being - quite literally - a show stopper.

Also if you hit that rusty water mark with T Cut it would take it away which would clean it up a fair bit. At the moment its a massive (negative) attraction to the eye.

I sold cars part time and full time for 25 years odd so i kind of get a feeling for how something needs to be pitched.
  • motorguy
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »

Its got a lot going for it though - its a mk2.5, its the 1.8, its got full leather, a bit of MOT and a SS exhaust too.

Someone could buzz about in that most of the summer and sell it on as a project or a breaker and get close to all their money back.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the rust sills (not so bad) or the chassis rails?

Probably worth nearer £500 (if it's just sills)

If it's chassis rails you'll be lucky to get £350 for it.
  • kmb500
    Options
    Is the rust sills (not so bad) or the chassis rails?

Probably worth nearer £500 (if it's just sills)

If it's chassis rails you'll be lucky to get £350 for it.
    just the sills. I would like to get at least £600 for the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure