Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    latecomer wrote: »
    Been away for a few days and still no written confirmation on my new deal. Will try and call them tonight to see if its on their system.......

Still not had it in writing (although its now been requested so it should arrive by post in the next week or so) but I phoned to confirm yesterday and got verbal confirmation of the price being around £16.70 although she said with all the different discounts its difficult to see exactly what the price will be :D

Much more concerned with my broadband issues at the moment - average speed is less than 3Mbps. Cheap isn't any good if you cant use it!
  • I was asked to sort out Broadband for my Mum, as it was too expensive for her and virgin were going to increase the price! She was paying £68 average a month for 20Mb broadband and phone with about 90 minutes worth of uk calls per month and no TV. I couldn't even find the deal that was on the bill as it was pretty old. Looked at the option of switching to Plusnet from the main guide on this site. This would cost her £23.50 for the first year and 32.50 after that for a package with unlimited anytime calls.

When I rang up Virgin I asked them to give their best offer that matched the plusnet offer and they came in at £38.50 per month with a speed upgrade to 50Mb which she doesn't need. So I cancelled and decided to go with Plusnet. 6 days later Virgin rang back and offered £26.50 per month. I would have accepted that offer if they'd said it the first time but I couldn't be bothered to cancel with Plusnet. I also thought it was lousy of them to just leave her on a very expensive tariff then put the amount up even more. Plusnet has been good so far. I've tested the speed and I always get around 16-18Mb even in the evening.
  • Cuilean
    Cuilean Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Had my callback from retentions. Just as well, because the panic level was creeping up!

12 month deal. £36 per month for the bundle we're on now, which was Mix TV, free weekend calls on the landline and 150Mb internet. Six months of Netflix chucked in. For another tenner, they'd have thrown in some more TV channels, with a lower 100Mb internet speed, but hubby vetoed that.

All in all, pleased with their offer. Definitely going to do this again. Thanks everyone for the reassurance!
    © Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
  • Cuilean wrote: »
    Had my callback from retentions. Just as well, because the panic level was creeping up!

12 month deal. £36 per month for the bundle we're on now, which was Mix TV, free weekend calls on the landline and 150Mb internet. Six months of Netflix chucked in. For another tenner, they'd have thrown in some more TV channels, with a lower 100Mb internet speed, but hubby vetoed that.

All in all, pleased with their offer. Definitely going to do this again. Thanks everyone for the reassurance!
    Well done. I do admire you. I've been with Virgin since the beginning and I'm loathe to leave, because I find them generally very good, especially their broadband.
    My Rental Line Saver expires in January, and I normally renew about the middle of November which ensures unbroken application to my account. However, I feel like holding back this time, and threatening, like you, to terminate my contract with them, in the hope they'll come back with some attractive offer, which enables me to keep my V+ box.
    Again like you though, I do feel I'll have accelerating levels of panic if and when I take this step. However, you have inspired me and I may well do it.:o
  • I am pleased to report that Virgin are honouring the agreement I made with them. Persistence and insistence seem to be the key to producing the desired result.
  • Sandy7
    Sandy7 Posts: 31 Forumite
    I tried to give 30 days notice last Friday to cancel all my Virgin Media services (tv, broadband and landline) but was advised if I want to retain my landline phone number the phone package cannot be cancelled as the number cannot be ported to another provider. Does anyone know if this is correct and if I am still likely to receive a call from rententions?
  • Sandy7 wrote: »
    I tried to give 30 days notice last Friday to cancel all my Virgin Media services (tv, broadband and landline) but was advised if I want to retain my landline phone number the phone package cannot be cancelled as the number cannot be ported to another provider. Does anyone know if this is correct and if I am still likely to receive a call from rententions?

I cancelled everything with Virgin Media at the end of September to move to Sky, The TV & Broadband we're cancelled on the 28th, but as I was keeping the same phone number over to Sky the didn't cancel it until Sky installed me their phone line.
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've just renegotiated my VM deal ...

Phone line + Talk Weekends ... paid by Line rental saver at the end of the year
    TV M ... this comes free with the phone , no extras!
    VIVID 100 Broadband (this is the only change, down from VIVID 150)

includes £5 per month loyalty discount for 18 months!

New package £24.99 down from about £32 ... so I'm happy with that.
  • I've just got off the phone to the Virgin retention team who rang me after I put in my 30 days notice in in a few days ago. I was paying £20.25 for 70Mb broadband (no line rental or TV). They have given me the same 70Mb broadband for £13.25 a month for the next 12 months plus a new router for free. Bargain :)
  • Sandy7 wrote: »

Like Sandy I called to cancel last week and was given the same information: all services to be cancelled in 31 days except the phone line. I was told if I cancelled the line I'd lose my number. Does anyone know if retentions will call a customer who has retained their line as in effect Virgin will still be getting paid by me, albeit just the basic line rental.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback