single or double pole socket??

Hi please can some one tell me what the difference is between the double and single pole plug sockets as i need to replace some.

One of the sockets getting replaced has One cable going to it, the other one has two cables going to it both are in the same room.
Another socket in in the hall and has several cables going to it.

Advice please thanks niall
Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    niall24 wrote: »
    Hi please can some one tell me what the difference is between the double and single pole plug sockets as i need to replace some.
    A single pole switches live only a double pole switches live and neutral. The double pole switch is safer but inevitably more expensive. Some circuits require a double pole switch by regulation but for a normal ring main or radial single pole is sufficient. Is it possible you are confusing single gang (ie one switched outlet) and dual gang (two switched outlets) with the switching arrangements?
    One of the sockets getting replaced has One cable going to it, the other one has two cables going to it both are in the same room.
    On a radial the sockets have two cables (one in from the previous socket and one out to the next socket) with the exception of the last one in the run which only has one cable in. I think that is what you are describing and whether the switching arrangements sockets are single pole or double pole doesn't matter.
    Another socket in in the hall and has several cables going to it.
    This will have one in and one out as before. If there is a third cable it is likely that someone has run a spur off the back of this socket to feed another.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    virtually all houses have a ring main, not a radial circuit.
    radials are very rare now.

these circuit drawings explain the difference.
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ring_main.htm
    Get some gorm.
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,320
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So just fit double pole sockets and be done with it?
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,426
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    niall24 wrote: »
    So just fit double pole sockets and be done with it?
    Yes..........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport