Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Comments

• Where has the debt myths thread gone?

And why was Lorraine's post moved here?
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • lizzy23
    lizzy23 Posts: 193 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2012 at 11:52AM
    i Have to say i have been reading these Step change bashing threads in the last couple of weeks and a couple of things strike me.

No one is forced to go with Step change, someone has to fund them somewhere, so if by the creditors funding them it makes them easier for me to deal with so be it i personally can live with that, it means i pay 1 dd to one place rather than having to mess about with DD to 9 different places.

Its your debt if your creditors don't stop interest its up to you to fight for it, after all you were big enough to get into debt in the first place, you can be big enough to sort it out.

So what if it takes 7 years to pay off through DMP at least when its finished all of it will ALL be paid off, after all i spent the money in the first place , and its a damn sight sooner than the 30 + years it would have taken to pay it off carrying on as i was.

To be honest the things that have popped up seem to be (to me anyway) from people who haven't managed to get what they want, if you want an IVA so be it, personally i am of the opinion that i used the money in the first place and from a moral point of view i want to pay it all off, Step change are just acting as a middle man for me on what is a pretty scary journey, and i have to say my own dealings with them have been nothing except helpfull.

They make no secret of the fact that their funding comes from financial institutions, get over it, as i said they have to be funded from somewhere, how else do they operate? i think you'll find payplan are also funded by the industry.

At the end of the day why shouldn't the banks get all their money back, we were happy enough to play the game when we borrowed the money, why do some people feel that its their right not to pay back what they owe, i really don't get this.

And finally you do have a choice, you can carry on paying minimums getting deeper and deeper into debt, or you can go it alone and have all the hassle of dealing with the people that are basically only after what is theirs, or you can with your eyes wide open let Step change, or payplan or CAP deal with it for you, as 10's of thousands of people are happily doing
    LBM 2 and the OH is onboard sept 12, DMP will start on the 1st November, DFD who cares as longs as it comes:)
    1 year down 5 to go and now under 30k and 10% paid off :beer:
  • lizzy23 wrote: »
    Its your debt if your creditors don't stop interest its up to you to fight for it, after all you were big enough to get into debt in the first place, you can be big enough to sort it out.

100% agree. I think StepChange ask creditors to stop interest once, after that we need to do it ourselves. I have had interest stopped on several debts where CCCS didn't manage it, I do wonder why I could and they couldn't.
    lizzy23 wrote: »
    So what if it takes 7 years to pay off through DMP at least when its finished all of it will ALL be paid off, after all i spent the money in the first place , and its a damn sight sooner than the 30 + years it would have taken to pay it off carrying on as i was.

To be honest the things that have popped up seem to be (to me anyway) from people who haven't managed to get what they want, if you want an IVA so be it, personally i am of the opinion that i used the money in the first place and from a moral point of view i want to pay it all off, Step change are just acting as a middle man for me on what is a pretty scary journey, and i have to say my own dealings with them have been nothing except helpfull.

An IVA isn't about escaping from paying off all of your debt, many IVAs involve 100% payment. However an IVA does guarantee interest will be frozen and is sure to last much less time than some DMPs which are being entered into.

Many people do not know that an IVA could be advantageous over a DMP and it seems to be suggested that StepChange favour a DMP over an IVA most of the time, they certainly never offered us the option or even discussed it with us, same with bankruptcy. It wasn't for us as we have too much equity in our home but we knew that before we approached CCCS but I would have expected other options to be reviewed and discussed.
    lizzy23 wrote: »
    They make no secret of the fact that their funding comes from financial institutions, get over it, as i said they have to be funded from somewhere, how else do they operate? i think you'll find payplan are also funded by the industry.

Payplan is a business, not a charity.
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • lizzy23

Payplan is a business, not a charity.

Business or Charity, still funded by the credit industry, to be honest does it matter as long as all the money we pay is going to pay our debts,

How our Debt Management Plans are funded

A Payplan Debt Management Plan is funded in a unique way.
    Rather than charging our clients, we pay 100% of your regular monthly payment to your creditors to clear your debt as soon as possible.The credit industry recognises our services and many creditors agree to pay us a small donation for providing this service to you.
    LBM 2 and the OH is onboard sept 12, DMP will start on the 1st November, DFD who cares as longs as it comes:)
  • lizzy23 wrote: »
    Business or Charity, still funded by the credit industry, to be honest does it matter as long as all the money we pay is going to pay our debts,

How our Debt Management Plans are funded

A Payplan Debt Management Plan is funded in a unique way.
    Rather than charging our clients, we pay 100% of your regular monthly payment to your creditors to clear your debt as soon as possible.The credit industry recognises our services and many creditors agree to pay us a small donation for providing this service to you.

If 11% of our payment goes from the creditor back to StepChange or Payplan or whoever, I believe that is possibly a reason for wanting over-extended DMPs to recover more income for the charity or business.
  • lizzy23
    If 11% of our payment goes from the creditor back to StepChange or Payplan or whoever, I believe that is possibly a reason for wanting over-extended DMPs to recover more income for the charity or business.

Maybe, but you still have a choice to say yes or no, no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do, and if you don't like what you're told you can go elsewhere.

Personally i researched all options myself, i felt that it was my responsibility to determine which way was the best way for me, not anyone elses
  • wickesy
    wickesy Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Last time I used the Debt Remedy tool on the StepChange website it recommended a 5 year IVA over an 8 year DMP. Maybe the advisers recommend different on the phones, I don't know, I haven't spoken to them yet.
    Total debt at LBM: £32,340.84
    Total debt now: £0
  • Hi. im after some advice if you can help me.
    Over the last two years i have faced my debts head on, i have paid off alot of the debts and now only have a relative small debt left to pay, as they are now coming to a end, Can you tell me will they auto matically be taken off my credit file? or will they still show? but say paid? im in a tiswas over this.
    I feel my credit file isnt getting any better, how do i make it more healthier. sorry so many questions. i just want to be debt free.
    thanks pantherchick x
  • "Maybe, but you still have a choice to say yes or no, no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do, and if you don't like what you're told you can go elsewhere."

Are you having a laugh? Look on any of these dfw areas, iva or dro, br categories, and there are locked threads that virtually DEMAND that you go to CCCS. Almost every poster buys the myth and repats it, yet you say that people have a choice? Technically maybe, but when 99% of posters point to a place it is fair to say that 99% of people advised will take that advice. I like the one that says avoid fee charging dmp or iva companies as they are motivated by greed. It fails to mention the £3M per month commission that CCCS collects, and ignores the fact that CCCS charge for IVA's. I don't see anyone saying avoid CCCSVA as they charge fees. Go to CCCS if you have a debt problem by all means, it is a free country and I am sure that many people are very satisfied but, as they say, if something looks too good to be true then it probably is. A healthy dose of cynicism, and an end to the hero worship would not be a bad thing.

I stress that I have had a very bad experience with them, and that I also work in the industry, on the opposite side of the fence, but the presence of CCCS on these forums is overwhelming and, in my humble, not healthy when it comes to balanced debate.
  • I've not heard anything back from the bank I made a full and final offer to yet, though I did request in the letter that they respond before the end of this month if they wished to accept.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware and didn't realise it would be a good thing to include a statement of accounts with this at the time. I will also have to check my old address again as I suspect that they still haven't updated their records for me.

I have a few quick questions regarding an IVA.

Do different banks within the same banking group class as the same institution for the purposes of being one of your creditors or do they class as seperate entities?

E.g. Would for example Halifax and Lloyds class as separate creditors or would it all be lumped in as the same?

I am thinking in particular of needing 75% or more of creditors to agree with the IVA option to be accepted?

And also in terms of being able to offset?

Can they offset across banks and accounts within the same group, or only within the same individual company/entity?

Finally, for debt advisors/charities with experience of helping people with these sorts of things are IVA's usually accepted or do you get some where more than 25% of creditors vote against it and if so why?

Do you find certain banks etc usually vote no or most vote yes in order to prevent full bankruptcy and getting zero? Any that always vote no?

Cheers,

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family