What's the most ridiculous quote you've had?

Annie1960
Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 23 May 2015 at 12:06PM in Is this quote fair?
I've just had a quote to fit a new bathroom, using a local building firm. They are part of the local council's 'trusted trader' scheme.

When you add everything up, it comes to £18,500. They have added it up incorrectly to £13,500 + VAT, but even that would be ridiculous in my view.

The bathroom is fairly small, about 2m x 2m, and the only unusual item is that I need the SVP pipe to be moved, as it currently goes downstairs through the kitchen. Apart from that, the quote just involves supplying the new suite (£1,800), and the rest is labour, electrics, flooring, tiling etc.

Just removing the old suite will cost £1,250 + VAT!

The other item I don't understand on the list is 'to supply and install a Hager 12-way dual RCD fuse board', (£820). Does anyone know what this is? Before I purchased the property I had a full electrical inspection, and the only recommendations were 2 new RCDs for the upstairs and downstairs light circuits. The price quoted off the top of my head was around £150 for both.

They have also included a 'suitable IP rated bathroom light'. I have no idea what this is. There are already lights in the bathroom, and I was planning to keep these.

What quotes have you had that you think were over the top?

Comments

• RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    12 grand for soffits and fancias.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    £10k for a garden makeover. DIY and it was more like £2k spent
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    motoring insurance, avis quoted me £7000 per annum for a £2000 golf.

I went for the cheapest quote on a comparison site and that was £1200. Avis then followed up with me and called me a day later to discuss my quote. I couldn't beleive it. I thought the high insurance quote was basically them saying "we dont want to insure you". But I guess they were serious enough to follow up on it.
  • Plumber90
    Plumber90 Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What council is that? Remind me never to move there :)
  • Dave_J_3
    Dave_J_3 Posts: 100 Forumite
    I kid you not and I still have the quote, Adrian Flux once quoted me £1000037.00 to insure a Saxo VTS :rotfl:
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    12k for a 2m squared kitchen!
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    £480 from a upvc company to put a new end piece on my gutter.

Odd job guy did it for £30.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    wymondham wrote: »
    12k for a 2m squared kitchen!

Must be the same guy who gave me the quote!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When i was a Rep for Everest and gave people a price for relacement windows, i remember a couple of people who had lived in their house a long time turning around to me and saying ........ That's more than we paid for the house.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure