Reasonable quote?

I'm in the process of buying an old Victorian semi-detached house in Cardiff which has not been rewired in over 25 years, still has old fashioned fuse box, sockets (avg 3/room) and light switches (1/room) and lights (1/room).

9 rooms and hallway (inc kitchen and bathroom)

Been quoted between £3000-£3600 to rewiring, new sockets, light switches, 2 sensor lights, consumer unit, chasing cables and putting effected wall areas back to good.

Since some top range consumer units cost around £200-300, i'm assuming the bulk of the cost is labor. Does this sound reasonable?

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is far more than simply a distribution board to be provided when rewiring a property! So how you can extrapolate that from the perceived price of simply one item is beyond me!
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • alladin
    alladin Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know there is far more, cables, sockets and light switches!

I don't have any knowledge of what's involved in rewiring a house hence why i'm here asking this question. I understand it's not an easy job but I also had the wool pulled over my eyes when I trusted workmen to give me an honest quote.

So with that in mind, like I asked in my previous post, is it a reasonable quote?

If you feel you can add constructive feedback to the conversation it'll be greatly appreciated.
  • Risteard
    It's really impossible to say how reasonable it is or otherwise without seeing and surveying the job. There are just far too many variables.

Why do you feel that it is unreasonable?
    ECA Registered Member
  • alladin
    alladin Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Risteard,

It's not that I feel its unreasonable, what I'm trying to do is get some feedback from people who know about this stuff and advise me if it's a good price or otherwise. Just piece of mind that i'm not about to get ripped off.

But if you're saying there are too many variables then I suppose it's not as straightforward as pulling out old cables and feeding in new ones for a number of sockets, light switches etc... which equates to 1.5h per feed at £x/h. Apologies to all in the trade in over simplifying the process.

Anyway, thanks for your time Risteard. It's probably best I get a couple of other quotes for comparison.
  • Risteard
    alladin wrote: »
    It's probably best I get a couple of other quotes for comparison.

It's probably always worthwhile getting say 3 quotes. But don't just go for the cheapest. If one is half the price of the others then questions should be asked as to why that is.
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills