22 Foxhole East

Options

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It is sadly the way the wind appears to be blowing. Feel so sorry for all the poor schools facing enormous, life changing cuts too.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    We have a Farm Foods, RSPCA charity shop, specsavers, wool shop, the council office, Costas, a newsagents, Sainsburys, cheapy pile it high sell it cheap pop up food shop, Card shop, Santander, Natwest, Iceland, Cancer Research, Another charity shop, Oxfam, Vision charity shop, independent cafe, £land, Dunelm, Edinburgh Wool Mill (or whatever it is called)Boots and Superdrug. Then around the corner is Greggs, Mind charity shop, shoe shops, and 2 other charity shops. So a good range really. Quite a well populated area, lots of footfall and pretty decent parking for a pedestrianised area.

Mind you, at the moment, all I am seeing is B&Q and Aldi. :rotfl:

Hey Foxy, I think you totally live in the same town as me (begins with a W). From your intro I'd always assumed you lived more central Leicester :)

I think the town has a lot to offer, I just have to close my eyes to walk past the cheesecake shop!! :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Oooh, its just like Where's Wally!! Here I am!! You found me!! :j
    I am in 'W' twice a day as the kids are in school there. We moved to Leicester and rented on the Little Hill estate until we found our house to buy. Now we are down the Welford Road, on the wrong side of the road to CP! but let's face it, I couldn't afford a 2 bed in CP. I did laugh though, when they stuck an advertising thingie through the door for the Wheatsheaf Works ( red brick victorian bootmaking factory which has been a victim of facadism - I love that word so much) - it said 'only three minutes walk from the heart of CP's fashionable shopping area'. Maybe the area will have wealth creep... That being said... a house 15 doors up sold for £210k last summer - zoopla just updated its sold price .

I spent the whole day painting doors. Sooo boring, so I made a bakewell tart, a tray of flapjacks, and 7 pasties. They are the kids lunch tomorrow and a snack for later on, as we are only doing noodles for supper tonight, and the two biggies will suddenly be starving at 8pm (the other one is for DH)

DS1 has come home with a letter from school - a trip next Feb half term for £1650:eek: No educational value whatsoever. 2 days in New York (shopping) and 5 days skiing. I said no. He asked DH, who said ??????????????????????:(:( When did it become normal to let the school take your kids on holiday for you??? and America?????

DH was brought up in the Irish school system and I think they went away for a weekend to Rathlin Island and got eaten by midgies. Then before exams he went away on a week long residential that he got thrown out of as you were only allowed to speak Irish, and he is not Irish and probably went on a rant about cultural appropriation:rotfl:and playing Iron Maiden (you were only allowed to play Irish music). His mum had to go and get him. Can you guess who told me the story? She still feels the shame.

Mind you, he was horrible up until he was 21- I know, I met him when he was 19:rotfl:.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    I have been quite a busy little Fox this past week or so.

The bedroom doors are all painted and the handles and fingerplates back on, they look good, even if I do say so myself.:beer:
    The shelving in the chimney alcove in the back room has moved loads of books and cds out of the way and it is looking quite smart. So have half the room very orderly, and half that looks like a car crash.:( I need a smaller table/desk than the old dining table I am currently using to sit the computer and printer on. It is just accumulating tat on it, and kids' drinks glasses, and crisp packets, and sleeping bags (?) and just utter flotsam. I have children who cannot use a wastepaper basket. :(

I think I have found the right level of buildings and contents insurance that should cover us, but need to wait for a week or else I will have to play jiggery-pokery and take money from the savings to pay for it. Next week the kids savings accounts mature and they skim the interest and I get the capital back to drip feed back in. :)

Also have been looking at another energy swap. I got on to a 12 month fixed price deal with EDF that ends at the end of April. Even the absolute cheapest new deal is going to be £20 a month more than I am paying now. But then I am on a ridiculously good deal. :money:Sometimes prices have to go up I suppose!
    In other news....
    We have been living with the smell of cannabis for a while now, we thought the neighbours must just be stoners for the first week or so. But then the smell was there all day, every day and night, on the middle floor. All the other fireplaces in the house have been bricked up, but the middle floor ones are not, and then I spotted the tell tale black mould starting to grow on the inside of the windows and that is how we knew we had a cannabis farm next door. The police raided and found them busily harvesting and ready to bag up. Caught red handed. Apparently they have completely gutted the house, there is not an internal door and every room was being used for cultivation except the front room where two young lads had made camp – we saw them move in in January with their backpacks. Nobody seems to know who owns the house, but they bypassed the electricity meter and have made a real mess of the place. So we are in the market for new neighbours! The police removed all the plastic sheeting and opened all the windows and the whole street stank of weed for a good 24 hours!
    Felt so sorry for the police having to be in the building, they all looked the worse for wear after having been in there for any amount of time.
    Rozzers 1 : Scumbags 0.
    So that was our excitement for the week. Was very funny to see all the curtain twitchers (from behind our own non-twitchy curtains:rotfl:)

DS3 has steamed through The Hobbit (3 days) and has embarked on book one of The Lord of the Rings and is loving it. :D

After all the extra car repair costs (nearly £500), and the extra £120 for getting the kids to Ireland, and the new washing machine, I am feeling quite poor right now and it is only half way through the month. But the Easter holidays are paid for so that is something. Just need to juggle money for a week and I will be fine again, just need to keep a lid on spending until payday.

I still have £2k in the savings account for emergencies, but I wish I had enough to just double glaze the house, fix the shower, and have the roof done. Then I could say I had 2/3rds of the house finished. The only way that is going to happen is if someone dies (!:eek:) or I take out a loan, and I don't want to take out a loan or I stop making mortgage overpayments, and I don't want to do that either.

Last option – get a job, which would make saving easier, but would stress out DH as he would feel he had know what he was supposed to be doing and where he was supposed to be. He has become accustomed to being well looked after and fed – amazing how quickly he forgets how to fend for himself when I am around, he copes when I take the kids away, but I fear he relies on takeaways in the evenings, like he does for his lunches at work (although I managed to 'accidently' cook too much this week and he took lunch from home twice – minor miracle). :p

So today was just a cheap hour in the park with DS3 and 4 and a frisbee and the play area.
    No spends, doing very badly this month with only 4 NSDs to my name.

The Easter bunny has arrived! Two parcels came with a total of 8 Easter eggs, 4 bunnies and 4 packs of vegan equivalent to Rolos. Am I supposed to make them wait until Easter? I usually do, but if we are away.... we would have to take them with us...... or should I make them wait until we return. :EasterBun

I should have enough food after my inventory + menu planning + shopping on Friday to last us for all main meals, but I will need to get some lunchbox tat (crisps and small cartons of fruit juice) after Tuesday.

I feel like all I am doing is making lists. I need to win the lottery. A friend of mine managed to win a lot of money on a scratch card. Enough to walk into a garage and buy a brand new electric car outright.

I do not know what I am going to do, but when I do, I shall tell you.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Fox

Sounds like you've achieved so much! Your house really sounds great.

How awful living with that smell next door for so long. Did your children ask what it was?

On the finding money for improvements thing, your baking sounds amazing. What about getting in touch with a few cafes to see if they'd buy your food? You would need to have your kitchen certified by the council and take a basic food safety course but that is very cheap, and all done online multichoice (should you leave fish out of temperature control for 24 hours?). For example...

You could easily sell one cake for £20...Just saying
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Bobs, I would not get a food hygiene cert for our kitchen! It is purely state of the Ark. I am definitely a family baker.

One of the mums at the school gate is a cake maker. She seems quite stressed most of the time. At Christmas she was always complaining about how many christmas cakes she had left to do, and how many chocolate orange cakes there were. I could understand the complaining if she were doing it for friends and family, but you know she charges a lot. She does all the fancy icing flowers, the cakes look really beautiful, but still, it would have to be a major occasion before I would think of charging that amount for basically flour, sugar, oil and cocoa. I think I would be embarrassed to ask for that amount. See what a carp businessperson I would be?
    I also do not understand cupcakes. 1/3rd cake 2/3rds icing. What is the point of that? I would rather have a layer cake if I was going to mainline those calories. And £2.50 a pop?? Are you insane? I am now speaking as feeder of 4 kids. Coffee and cake out somewhere is £30 before your bum hits the seat. And don't even start me on Buddhist cafes or this will turn into a half hour rant and you will all back away nodding and smiling at the crazy lady whispering 'oh my god, who can be angry with Buddhists??' Yeah, well, Karma Buddhists, Karma mate.

I would love to go on a cake decorating course though, I doubt the boys would appreciate it, but with a cake being decimated in a day, I doubt the effort would be worth it. I would however be able to write obscene slogans.
    There is a gap in the market for obscenity baking.
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hi Fox

How awful living with that smell next door for so long. Did your children ask what it was?

It was only noticeable on the middle floor - where the fireplace holes have been opened up, and the smell came and went, that was why we thought it might have just been a stoner next door, but then it was constant for a week, and yes, DS2 asked what the smell was so that was when we called in the experts. We figured if he thought to mention it, it must be strong. Anyway, all smell gone within 24 hours.
    Still no sign of the owner.
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eeeesh what a drama with the cannabis house- goes to show you never know what goes on! Well done for spotting the black mound, I wouldn't have known it was a sign of that!

Also, 4 NSDs is better than none (in feeling very positive today) :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Eeeesh what a drama with the cannabis house- goes to show you never know what goes on! Well done for spotting the black mound, I wouldn't have known it was a sign of that!

Also, 4 NSDs is better than none (in feeling very positive today) :)

The last house we looked at before we bought this one (we only looked at 6) had been converted into a hydroponic cannabis farm and was being sold under a proceeds of crime order. We can no longer smell the smell, but if the other house was anything to go by, they will need to hack every bit of plaster off as the cannabis oil seeps in to it and it will smell forever. Rank. It is a smell I cannot stand, they call it skunk for a good reason. I have noticed it more and more often hanging off people in the supermarket. Like a nasty cloud following them about. Yuck.

The house had thick net curtains so you could not see in, and our windows at the front are raised about 6 feet above street level, but everytime I passed by after the smell became constant, I made sure to sneakily take a look for signs of condensation/ black mould in the windows. As soon as I saw that it was obvious.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't know about cakes, but you have a great way with words. Could you make an income from writing. Don't have to leave the house!
    Don't know how blogs etc work, but you certainly paint a picture in words.
    Carolbee
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure