On less pay than colleagues doing exact same job

Comments

• Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have hired people on different salaries., usually based on their experience and how they perform during the interview process. If I really want someone to work with us I'll offer a higher salary in order to get them on board.
  • tikki999 wrote: »
    When offered a job last year, I was told that I would start at the bottom end of the pay scale as I did not have enough experience and they would be employing people with more experience who could help me out at the start.

Very quickly, it was apparent that nobody had previous experience of this position (call centre) but we all had professional experience in the area of work the call centre deals in. In fact, my qualifications are higher than those of several of my colleagues doing the EXACT same job. Over time, I realise, through casual conversation and information that was offered to me by several colleagues, that several colleagues are being paid at the higher end of the scale.

Could they be embellishing the truth? Without realising their actions. I recall one contact centre I sat in had co-workers on different rates because some were 'agency'. Different shift patterns agreed to etc, perhaps the 'other benefits' list has been reduced for them etc.

I'm sorry but you meet all sorts in a call centre - through some weird sheer perception of embarrassment some people think they should say they earn higher then they do, in the same way some people think call centre = lowly paid! which isn't always the case.

Wait for the day when you are the only one in your team! It's not worth letting resentment into an otherwise good situation.
  • tikki999
    tikki999 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Fair enough re. law.

I am not jealous of colleagues' salary. They deserve it.

I was not content with the salary when I accepted the job. My discontent has nothing to do with colleague's disclosures.

Totally understand it may be one of those 'let it go' situations.

Company disingenuous I believe - stating that ALL new starters begin at low end of pay scale. Blatantly not true.

We weren't discussing salary. It's those things people say in passing...example:

Colleague: 'can't believe I'm only getting paid .... an hour to do this job'

I then realise that I am paid less an hour for doing the same job.

Colleague: 'Only doing this because I'm starting at top end of salary scale'

I know I am at the bottom of the scale.

I take responsibility for not pushing for higher salary. That's what happens when you are desperate for a job, any job. In this case one where I thought 'there must be something I am really missing for them to say I am so lacking in experience' As it is the experience we ALL lacked was working in a call centre and all that implies. The experience we all have is in the area of knowledge/skills required to work with the client/customer at the end of the line.

Is there any point pursuing this with HR?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tikki999 wrote: »

Is there any point pursuing this with HR?

No. HR will be on the side of the employer
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • This is why staff should not be talking about salary at work.

Absolute rowlocks. It's only in the employer's interest that employees don't know what the others are getting. Knowledge is power, and in these cases the employers want to keep the employees as weak as possible.

As in the recent BBC case, it's not so much the lower pay that is the issue but the untruthfulness and lack of honesty of the employer..
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Absolute rowlocks. It's only in the employer's interest that employees don't know what the others are getting. Knowledge is power, and in these cases the employers want to keep the employees as weak as possible.

As in the recent BBC case, it's not so much the lower pay that is the issue but the untruthfulness and lack of honesty of the employer..

I couldn't agree more, the more informed an employee is the better the position they are in to make pertinent decisions.
  • Mulder00
    Mulder00 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My further thoughts on the discussion:

When the colleague mentioned their pay in that way, are you sure that they didn't miscalculate their hourly wage or just exaggerate it and you missed their sarcascm?

In principle I like the idea of published salaries (my company does it for everyone earning above £50k in publishing only job title and earnings, no names) - but not sure if it is always helpful. I like to feel like I'm doing the best I possibly can, not that I am mediocre because two people performed better than me and one worse than me. Published salaries end up making it about everyone, rather than the individual. (And yes, I sit and go through the list very carefully each year!!)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its common for people doing the same job to be paid differently, especially the higher up the ladder you get. At the recruitment stage its the ' value' of the candidate that's up for discussion more than than what the compensation for the job should be. A budget would have been set before that. No two people are exactly the same. One candidate might have 4 years experience and another 10 years. One person might have basic qualifications and another some professional certifications. One person might come across a bit shy and not great at expressing themselves and another confident with clear career aspirations. All of those elements might make the pay offered be different. The company might initially need bums on seats but they might he hoping to retain some people to make them team leaders, experts on a particular subject etc so they select certain people and hence pay therm differently.
    In a call centre, I'd be wanting people who are string communicators, able to build rapport and have the ability to remain calm. Maybe some of your colleagues had similar previous experience in retail for example?
    At the end of the day unless you are getting paid less because of a protected characteristic and you can prove so, yes companies do pay different people differently.
  • My qualifications are 'higher' than most in my team; my experience in the field about equal or more to most, but less than one of them. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I don't feel valued by the company; I do feel valued by my colleagues. While the latter supports me to keep on going in to work, the former prompts me to desperately scout around for other work.

Thanks for your input. I live and learn another day!
  • Sorry of this sounds rather simplistic...but could it just be a case the employer felt the other colleagues deserved a higher rate...or maybe they negotiated a better rate at interview.

Got to ask why you took the job if you wasn't happy with the rate they offered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure