This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Comments

• Watty I'm sorry you've been having a tough time. Sending you huge hugs - I am always in awe of you xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,801
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    It's lifechanging, isn't it - I really like that.

I was just reading back about the flowers too ... oh my word, £600! That's an awful lot of money, and I love the idea of finding mse ways to do things. Don't know your circumstances, but what about growing flowers in the front garden to use in the house? Can't use the front to grow food, usually, because of pollution from cars, but flowers are a different matter?

And I saw someone with bunches of forsythia in vases the other day, that was rally beautiful too. Has to be pruned, after all, doesn't it :)

We don't have a front garden. During the rennovations we put slate over the entire front garden as we were fed up with the dirt and mud. Many a time I have regretted that since
    I have a patch which I am thinking I will grow sweet peas on this year and maybe some sunflowers too. Any other thoughts for quick simple easy to grow cut flowers welcomed :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Forumite
    Hi Watty, would you believe I've read all 130 pages of your lovely thread over the past few days? It's been so entertaining and so useful. I'm so glad that you have kept posting. I've got a lot of inspiration from the fact that you're so focused on the overall picture of being, not just mortgage-free, but set up so you can scale back the work. It's inspired me to create a spreadsheet which (I hope - not very good at spreadsheets) will project all our future goals and flag the peaks and troughs of spending so I can see what we'll need when in order to get to the end.

Kitty sounds just lovely, how nice that she's become a house kitten! I have two cats, and free-range chickens, and I'm about to dog-sit a friend's pooch for a few days - hiddenshadow's post was very useful, thank you!

Anyway, consider another person out there cheering for you!

Oh my goodness, you read the lot. Phew!! And thank you :)
    Plans are afoot for this year

Watty I'm sorry you've been having a tough time. Sending you huge hugs - I am always in awe of you xx

thank you :)

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Forumite
    Well that is Easter done and dusted. A lovely but possibly expensive Easter in that we ate tapas at local place and had afternoon tea out after puppy training class and I had a roast at local pub. Plus bought a rather lovely plant to go on patio....and there was my claiming I had got frugal somehow. Maybe not :)
    Tomorrow plans begin for the next stage of the MFW journey.

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,826
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend Watty and that you're a bit brighter too.

Looking forward to hearing about the plans!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Watty1 wrote: »
    We don't have a front garden. During the rennovations we put slate over the entire front garden as we were fed up with the dirt and mud. Many a time I have regretted that since
    I have a patch which I am thinking I will grow sweet peas on this year and maybe some sunflowers too. Any other thoughts for quick simple easy to grow cut flowers welcomed :)
    Slate chips can always be raked up. Slabs can be levered up, and apart from maybe a bit of sand to settle them in, the original soil is still there, yes?

You can still vote *no* to dirt and mud :) and presumably you want something really simple? Ox eye daisies just sit there and do their thing. Tulip bulbs? For height, a rambling rose, or courgette flowers are pretty spectacular? What flowers do you like in the house?
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Slate chips can always be raked up. Slabs can be levered up, and apart from maybe a bit of sand to settle them in, the original soil is still there, yes?

You can still vote *no* to dirt and mud :) and presumably you want something really simple? Ox eye daisies just sit there and do their thing. Tulip bulbs? For height, a rambling rose, or courgette flowers are pretty spectacular? What flowers do you like in the house?
    Save
    No there is a mass of hardcore under the slate. The original soil is long gone sadly! The front is my one big renovation I wish I had never .....

• Watty1
    Forumite
    Spent the day working. I really do see why people get signed off with depression. I am not sure working is really helping me at all mood wise.
    £42 worth of cheques paid in. £3.99 item sold on bay of e. Going to call accounts software as costs too high. Hopefully I can get them down. Business been busy.

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear things are tough with work. :(

Glad you've have a nice Easter, though. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh watty! Okay, stick a gro bag on the hardstanding, and go for it. I'm sorry things are so tough :( hoping you can find your way through.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure