PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unsellable Property?

2»

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:36AM
    Added to be that I think there is a good chance he doesnt really want an extension at all. He may just be putting an application in for it in order to put the frighteners on you into selling to him at a bargain price.

He is probably hoping you are too worn down from the first fight with him to fight back one way or another.

An extension would cost him money/hassle/disruption to existing tenants.

I've had two Major Knockdown Fights in my life (in somewhat different contexts to this) and my experience is the opposition probably doesnt really expect to win the first time they fight you - but hopes to wear you down with two/three/four more minor fights and they then go in for a Killer Blow type fight. I think that's what he is doing here and this is meant to be Killer Blow. Personally I'd saved up enough "fight/energy" to respond to the Killer Blow fight they hoped would finish me off - and that was the end of that and, when they didnt win that one either, they backed off and stopped fighting trying to "walk all over me":). That was my experience in two different contexts.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    The trouble is, even if he has no plans at all, who wants to live next door to the horrid person anyway.
  • nicmyles
    nicmyles Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Very sympathetic, we had a similar-ish problem when selling our flat last year. Bloke next door had put in 10 almost identical planning applications over the preceding two years to build four four-storey buildings to use as HMOs on his (very small) back garden. I think he may well have been angling to buy our property - he definitely offered to buy the ground floor flat's garden to further expand his footprint. He also started using the site as a rubbish dump, presumably in order to eventually buy our place for cheap.

All of his applications were rejected, but I'm afraid to say we did struggle for buyers as a result and ended up selling (not to him) well below what the flat was worth if this issue hadn't existed.

I'm surprised your agent said your place was unsaleable, though - literally nothing is unsaleable, it's just whether or not it's at a price you want. Our agents remained relentlessly positive throughout and had a range of arguments in place to alleviate potential buyers' concerns and make them feel they were getting a bargain. Perhaps look at changing your agents if you're not getting constructive suggestions and actions from them?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hoploz wrote: »
    The trouble is, even if he has no plans at all, who wants to live next door to the horrid person anyway.

I don't think the OP stated whether he actually lives next door.
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Put this in perspective. The property is not unsellable. It may be devalued with an ongoing development next door, but it's not unsellable. An unsellable property would be one that's collapsing or about to fall off a cliff, in which case either the underwriters re-build it, or if the insurance doesn't cover it you sell your land to a builder at a huge loss. Just re-market it but make sure you're armed with the facts. Speak to the landlord, ask for a timescale and details of his plans, and go from there.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I don't think the OP stated whether he actually lives next door.

Yeah the guy lives next door to the OP.
  • vqmismatch
    vqmismatch Posts: 130 Forumite
    It doesn't sound unsellable just devalued.

I'm not sure there is anything you can realistically do about it either. If you need to be out soon and he keeps putting planning applications in buyers will either not be interested or you will have to look to sell to a similar chap.

If he really wanted to scupper your chances he could put planning permission in for your other side neighbour to convert for 'adult entertainment'.

Put it on the market for ten quid and I'm sure you will find a buyer, his game may well be to reduce the market rate you can get for whatever reason.
  • samspam
    samspam Posts: 82 Forumite
    Have you got a for sale board? Get it taken down if so, so it doesn't look like it's up for sale and the horrid man next door can't look out for viewers, get the estate agent to conduct the viewings so they have less chance of knocking next door. Get a new agent who does not know the conversation you have had with yours.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Find an agent who can put the property into an auction. That way you will sell it. Auction prices are not always less than selling the normal way through an agent and at least if your neighbour wants to buy it at least he may have some competition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure