Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Saversue wrote: »
    Sorry to come on here to have a moan again.

I read some of the adversities that many of you have to deal with and feel such empathy with you, but haven't got the words or energy to express how much I sympathise.

The situation with Mum seems to be deteriorating. She is in constant pain and becoming less mobile, is very unsteady on her feet and won't leave the house. Totally refuses to try a wheelchair and wouldn't even attempt to cross the front door with a Physio from the Falls Clinic.

Her memory is rapidly declining and she is having difficulty finding the words she wants to say.
    Yesterday she asked me to get "the 4 fruits from the cocktail dish" but couldn't say where I was to find them. Turned out she actually meant the punnet of nectarines from the fridge.

She also got very angry with me for making her "think" about paperwork I had spent hours working on (through the night) at home; after she asked me to explain what I had managed to sort out.

I always thought I would be able to cope with a physical decline, but to see her loosing her ability to think and function is so hard and I really don't know were to turn or what to do for the best. Except I will breath my last breath before I consider a Care Home.

Please don't be so hard on yourself.
    A few of us on here have had the same journey. It isn't nice or pleasant, just so sad. There isn't a 'happy' answer.

I managed it for a few years, juggling my family life, looking after my DGC and running a business. At the end, something has to give and that's when you know it is the right time for extra help. Try as I might, I couldn't give my dad the care and extra time that he needed and deserved once he became immobile. When he went into his care home, the quality of his life improved 200%. Least of all, I could spend quality time with him without being 'frazzled' and attending to his needs and his housework. I did feel guilty about my decision (I am his only close living relation) but I couldn't stretch any further. Please don't let pride stay in the way of you continuing your enjoyment of your mums' company, albeit, it may be in a care home.
  • Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :)

Found a holiday house by the sea for the Bank Holiday week in August ( my silly friend being born on the most expensive holiday week - I blame her Mum)
    very cheap. Looks fab, just waiting for her Partner to say Yes so I can book it ...........
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    MKS wrote: »
    Please don't be so hard on yourself.
    A few of us on here have had the same journey. It isn't nice or pleasant, just so sad. There isn't a 'happy' answer.

I managed it for a few years, juggling my family life, looking after my DGC and running a business. At the end, something has to give and that's when you know it is the right time for extra help. Try as I might, I couldn't give my dad the care and extra time that he needed and deserved once he became immobile. When he went into his care home, the quality of his life improved 200%. Least of all, I could spend quality time with him without being 'frazzled' and attending to his needs and his housework. I did feel guilty about my decision (I am his only close living relation) but I couldn't stretch any further. Please don't let pride stay in the way of you continuing your enjoyment of your mums' company, albeit, it may be in a care home.

Very well said x
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 13 March 2017 at 10:34PM
    bubbs wrote: »
    Rose how did you get on with assessors ?

Well I went to work at 9.00am and managed 2 hours before the phone calls from assesor, electrician, damp man and hotel company got too much. My boss is great and I just said I needed to go and would be in tommorow or Wednesday. Was silly of me shouldnt have bothered today.
    When I left I called the assessor company. They took over the hotel thing and I am now booked in for a further 10 days b&B. Then they said electrician and damp man would come this afternoon and the both came about 2.30. Electrician said electric would have to stay off and he installed a temporary supply of plugs at the bottom of the stairs so the damp people could run their machines. Then he left and damp chap had a good look round and said 1st thing was to get a laundry company in to take all my clothes, the contents of the airing cupboard , bedding and curtains to be laundered. Then they will bring boxes and pack up the contents of the rooms, then pull up all the carpets and bin them. He then brought in 2 machines and set them up so the drying can start. He hopes to get permission for another couple of machines to speed things up.
    He told me to ring my water company as I am on a meter and ask them to check my consumption and arrange a refund. He was lovely and actually lives in my town and said had he been told earlier he would have come down on Saturday.
    He said you should have about 20% damp in your walls and most of them are at 99%!
    So looks like all rooms except maybe 2nd bedroom will have to have new electrics, be redecorated and have new flooring. No idea how long though.
  • Sunshinemummy
    For OH's 55th birthday, I am going to buy him some VIP Poo....

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Sunshinemummy
    rose28454 wrote: »
    Well I went to work at 9.00am and managed 2 hours before the phone calls from assesor, electrician, damp man and hotel company got too much. My boss is great and I just said I needed to go and would be in tommorow or Wednesday. Was silly of me shouldnt have bothered today.
    When I left I called the assessor company. They took over the hotel thing and I am now booked in for a further 10 days b&B. Then they said electrician and damp man would come this afternoon and the both came about 2.30. Electrician said electric would have to stay off and he installed a temporary supply of plugs at the bottom of the stairs so the damp people could run their machines. Then he left and damp chap had a good look round and said 1st thing was to get a laundry company in to take all my clothes, the contents of the airing cupboard , bedding and curtains to be laundered. Then they will bring boxes and pack up the contents of the rooms, then pull up all the carpets and bin them. He then brought in 2 machines and set them up so the drying can start.
    He told me to ring my water company as I am on a meter and ask them to check my consumption and arrange a refund. He was lovely and actually lives in my town and said had he been told earlier he wold have come down on Saturday.
    He said you should have about 20% damp in your walls and most of them are at 99%!
    So looks like all rooms except maybe 2nd bedroom will have to have new electrics, be redecorated and have new flooring. No idea how long though.

That is a heck of a lot of work, but hopefully you will get a newly decorated house x

You may need to take a meter reading... those machines may cost a fortune to run x
  • scamps1966
    scamps1966 Posts: 5,648 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Oh dear tweets. :(
    Never nind. You;ll get a chance in the next 50 years. :D
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    That is a heck of a lot of work, but hopefully you will get a newly decorated house x

You may need to take a meter reading... those machines may cost a fortune to run x

Yes good point I did think of that but I was already back at the hotel by then. Will pop in tommorow and read it. May as well save as much as I can whilst I am away. He also said the kitchen cabinets may have to come down in the kitchen so he can test the wall behind. My kitchen is over 30 years old and I am not sure it will go back up that easily!
  • hampydoodums
    hampydoodums Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Couple of things while the breaks on in broadchurch.

Free Aunt Bessie's cold desserts at M with CS

20p multi packs of cat food in T reported on hukd
    :happylove Nanny to 2 Cherubs :happylove
  • tweets
    tweets Posts: 35,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 13 March 2017 at 10:52PM
    scamps1966 wrote: »
    Oh dear tweets. :(
    Never nind. You;ll get a chance in the next 50 years. :D

Never mind as long as city doesn't win
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts