Diary of our £230,000 mission

Comments

• vicsmiles
    vicsmiles Posts: 30 Forumite
    HI Chelsea blue
    how about you aim you budget £500 for the house stuff and anything under that you overpay that too? That is what I am doing with the LONG list of stuff we need to buy I budget it then if I get it lower that is also overpaid.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you all.

Today I made an overpayment at last! Only £100 but better than nothing I guess.

The other spare money I am going to do as vicsmiles suggested, £500 will be spent on the house and will put the other £100 into my savings account.

Good idea about the 6 months salary in savings. I currently have £10,500.
    To have 6 months salary saved I would need to get to £15,500.
    I think I'll get the emergency fund back up to 12k then start putting in to my stocks & shares ISA for long term savings
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,599 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Every positive step you make will help. We have whittled our mortgage away because we have an offset so don't have to commit our overpayments since we can just spend them again if we need to. Every positive movement has contributed to the point where I hope we will be mortgage free next year.
    At its highest point we owed £230,000 a couple of years ago but a redundancy payout (followed by 5 months of frugal unemployment for DH), plus 2 of our 3 endowments paying out, and DD going to Grammar School instead of Indie for senior have all contributed to having the goal in sight
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Thank you, what an inspiring journey you've had.

The problem is for us I feel I'm not quite in my forever home yet, that will be the next place.

But I suppose by overpaying this mortgage it will still give us more equity to put down on the next place.

I have a telephone interview tomorrow for a new job, so fingers crossed I don't make a complete !!!! out of myself
  • MallyGirl
    This is not our forever home but it will last us till we retire. Then we will not feel the need to be in Berkshire for work and can liberate some of the equity by moving somewhere more rural (and cheaper).
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • chelseablue
    Where abouts in Berkshire are you?
  • MallyGirl
    We are in Reading
  • chelseablue
    We are in Bracknell, so not far from you.

Small world!
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Just caught up on your diary. Seems like there are a quite of few of us who think the same way who live in the South East.

I've just updated my diary, but thought I'd check in here.

I'm in Watford and even though I have lived in or around London all my life, have it in my head that maybe, in time to come, I'll move further out, possibly when I don't need to go into London every day for work, and hopefully because prices seem to increase quicker down here, I'll be able to buy somewhere nice, small and simple for me and the two sprogs outright.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • chelseablue
    Just caught up on your diary. Seems like there are a quite of few of us who think the same way who live in the South East.

I've just updated my diary, but thought I'd check in here.

I'm in Watford and even though I have lived in or around London all my life, have it in my head that maybe, in time to come, I'll move further out, possibly when I don't need to go into London every day for work, and hopefully because prices seem to increase quicker down here, I'll be able to buy somewhere nice, small and simple for me and the two sprogs outright.

That's a lovely plan to have. I've lived in Berkshire all my life, it would be nice one day to move somewhere cheaper and buy outright.

How long are you planning on working in London for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure