Finding Your USP?

Has anyone got any details about finding your Unique Selling Point? So far I've only got a list of abstract things. Has anyone anything more concrete about what to do?
Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.

Comments

• Most people don't have one. Most jobs don't need one.
  • No job has a unique selling point, Scorpion. I'm not saying I have one, merely how do I find out what mine might be? I'm a freelancer, so that might give some idea as to why I'm asking the question.
  • I mean jobs don't need people with a USP. They need people with the same selling points as everyone else who is employable has.

What on earth does "how do I find out what my USP is" actually mean? It might be you are the only person capable of a triple back standing somersault, but that's not much use if you are looking for catering work.

Show people that you are good at the things they need doing. Plenty of other people are also good at them. They are looking for the best person at doing them available to them for the price they are willing to pay at that given time. If you are that, that's your "USP". If someone is better than you at that time in that place, it ceases to be your USP.

Ignore stupid buzzwords, would be my advice.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with Scorpion, very few people have a USP, which by it's very definition mean's no one else has that skill and only a handful of jobs require one. I expect what they're actually trying to ask is "why should we hire you over others" so focus on that. As a freelancer you should have a list of the areas you really excel in which should roughly match the job description (or why would you apply!) so focus on those.
  • This is still quite abstract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure