Cheap car hire article discussion

Comments

• laddo47
    laddo47 Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had experience with Insurance4CarHire (I can't post the link in here, unfortunately).

I'm traveling in the US for 5 weeks this summer and it appears that the most cost effective way for me to book car hire is to go direct with Enterprise.com, but avoid their extortionate insurance costs by purchasing the above insurance instead.

Does this cover me for everything?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    laddo47 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had experience with Insurance4CarHire (I can't post the link in here, unfortunately).

I'm traveling in the US for 5 weeks this summer and it appears that the most cost effective way for me to book car hire is to go direct with Enterprise.com, but avoid their extortionate insurance costs by purchasing the above insurance instead.

Does this cover me for everything?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

You would need to provide more details for an accurate reply.

But if you want to be absolutely sure that you are covered for everything, choose from these examples here or here. Choose one of the options that include SLI. Don't forget Quidco.
  • laddo47
    laddo47 Posts: 5
    Forumite
    You would need to provide more details for an accurate reply.

Great, thank you. Your first link is the place i attempted to link to.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,949
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bendy175 wrote: »
    Hi, firstly my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post however I'm a newbie!
    Has anyone come across a new legislation introduced which prevents EU residents driving a hire car across to France if vehicle is hired & returned on Swiss side of Geneva Airport ? Having read some of the earlier posts on here I booked from Swiss side so as to ensure the car had window sticker / vignette for toll roads. Now being told I can't take car out of Switzerland as it's illegal due to new legislation introduced May 1st 2016 !? ?
    Original booking made May 5th via rentalcars.com £215 for 7 days Swiss - Swiss. Quote today for smaller car, France - France £363 !!
    Weird thing is I can still book online with AVIS directly to collect Swiss side and return French side with a one way penalty however having telephoned them to check, they say this is not possible due to the new law
    Any ideas ??
    Thank you very much

I was going to mention this, if you are flying to Geneva to holiday in the French Alps then you can hire from the 'French side' of Geneva airport - although by the looks of things 'prices may vary'
    I think....
  • JLAF
    JLAF Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 17 June 2016 at 9:10AM
    I've just tried booking a car rental in the USA. It seems that all the rental companies have now colluded to include mandatory zero excess insurance when booking making my car high excess insurance worthless. For example, Avis are quoting me approx double the rental rate of a US citizen because of the built-in excess insurance - having spoken to them on the phone, I cannot book with this. Is there any way around this?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    JLAF wrote: »
    I've just tried booking a car rental in the USA. It seems that all the rental companies have now colluded to include mandatory zero excess insurance when booking making my car high excess insurance worthless. For example, Avis are quoting me approx double the rental rate of a US citizen because of the built-in excess insurance - having spoken to them on the phone, I cannot book with this. Is there any way around this?

Perhap your insurance is worthless in this case....
    UK car hire bookings have to offer this. You'll still need your excess insurance for things like tyres, keys etc
    The only way to avoid it is to have CDW insurance with SLI, not car hire excess insurance.
    Do you have this?
  • JLAF
    JLAF Posts: 2 Newbie
    What annoys me about this is that I'm certain the US car rental companies use to have excess insurance as an optional extra but have now colluded to stop customers using separate excess insurance and hence charge their exhorbitant rates.

I have a standard icarhireinsurance worldwide policy, Not sure (have to look it up) whether this is "CDW with SLI".
  • mayet
    mayet Posts: 8 Forumite
    Some French folk told me about Drivy.com. It's the Airbnb equivalent for cars. I've just booked 7 days for £103 (and could have got it for much less too). Avis was charging £161.

Car hire excess is by Bettersafe.com. They phoned to confirm they cover this - and see it as any other car hire company. Carehireexcess.com doesn't cover Drivy.com.
  • Carmen
    Carmen Posts: 1,732
    Forumite
    Hi, I am looking for any discounts for four days car hire at stansted airport. I normally use Hertz but I'm happy to be flexible if anybody has tried and tested other companies.
    Many thanks
    Carmen
  • TonyM19
    TonyM19 Posts: 138
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

Used Moneymaxim from the link in the main article. Got a reasonable rate from Rentalcars.com for a pickup at LAX. Their excess insurance works out at £145 (for 28 days). It doesn't mention SLI? Do I need that?
    If use Moneymaxim again it directs me to Leisure Guard Car Hire Excess Insurance. Works out at less than £40 for an annual pass. No mention of SLI in that either. Anybody used that combination of car hire/excess insurance? Am I good to go with this one?

Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure