Tried to pull off with handbrake on!

Options
2»

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    That's going to become more common with electronic handbrakes where you are expected to do that!

Put it this way, 30 metres is far less than the theoretical stopping distance at 40mph. If you can drive, the brake pressure is far less on the brake pads than stopping from 40mph.

Do you worry about the damage applying your brakes at 40mph might do?

You don't generally stop from 40mph just using the handbrake though!

I'd suggest the handbrake wasn't applied very hard or it would have been difficult to move off. If the bite point is high it may need adjustment.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »

I'd suggest the handbrake wasn't applied very hard or it would have been difficult to move off. If the bite point is high it may need adjustment.
    That's the point. Worrying about handbrake damage which is trivial force compared with the normal stopping function that the braking system copes with lots of times.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »

I agree, if the handbrake was on fully then he wouldn't been able to move all the way off his drive.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    suggest having the car checked over by halfords , the rear shocks may now be leaking , and damage to the nearside CV boot

Naughty ...
    mbwoy84 wrote: »
    No, it won't have done any damage.

Forgot to say further up ... unless it's a Land Rover with the handbrake acting on the rear propshaft. They really don't like being driven with the handbrake on.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I once didnt release the handbrake properly in a hire car. Drove for 3 miles. Thought the car was a bit sluggish. Didnt notice the light. Only noticed the handbrake was still partially on when I got to my destination and went to apply it.
    You could have fried eggs on the back wheels with the heat coming off them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure