Anrdoid App to Compare Expense Categories over Time?

Options
Hi all,

I've tried a load of apps but can't see any that do what I want.

I'd like to enter each amount that I spend each day and assign a category to each spend.

Such as £10 in the category Food Shopping or whatever.

Then be able to see how much I spend on Food Shopping for the month as well as graph comparing it to what I spent the previous months on Food Shopping.

I don't need many fancy features. Just the ability to enter amounts and organize and compare them by category.

I've been tracking everything I spend in a Google Sheet for the last three months.

But it hasn't really helped much, as its just a column of amounts and details of where I spent the amounts.

Ideally, I'd like a quick way to see that I spend £50 on Coffee last month, so let's try and reduce that by £5 this month!

Or something like that!

Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MS Money on a PC will do exactly what you want, but whether there is anything similar for Android I don't know.
  • vouch0r
    vouch0r Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moneydashboard
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of programs for PCs. Don't know of any on android.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    vouch0r wrote: »
    moneydashboard
    Yes, MoneyDashboard will work if most of your spending is on credit/debit card rather than cash. It will pull transactions from your accounts, automatically apply categories (where it can, otherwise you can do it manually) and generate various graphs.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    One option is that you could open an account with starling bank and they categorise your spending in the way you want
  • BatchedMetting
    Options
    Thanks, I don't need the ability to import transactions. I prefer to enter them manually.
  • BatchedMetting
    Options
    Tried a few, no luck.

Hopefully I can knock something up in Google Sheets and then just enter the data on my laptop.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know about Google Sheets, but my spreadsheet has a SUMIF() function that would do what you want, summing all the amounts over a range that match a category.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 754 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Google Sheets does support SUMIF. It's also available on Android so you can key/view data there (as well as a laptop). You could set up data validation for your categories too, and that would let you choose from a list (Food, Drink, Car, ...) and save some typing?

And if you want to get really flash you can set up a Google form for adding transactions (it appends to the nominated spreadsheet).
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pcman1985
    pcman1985 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a look at CashFlow Patrol. It's a free app.

It allows you to enter information about your bank accounts, and how much is in each account.
    You can assign categories to each transaction as well as creating your own categories and subcategories.

Also you can set up recurring payments coming in and out of your account such as your wages/salary and rent/mortgage payments.

It's got a rating of 4.6 out of 5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport