PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    If you take it now and pop it on a metal tray it will defrost in no time :)

Thanks caron good to know for the future. As for now it is in the fridge defrosting for tomorrow...I'll find something else for tonight, though I've no idea what as yet?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2017 at 11:00PM
    I haven't ever been in an Aldi and we have got three in this town. I am looking forward to being able to get food much cheaper than I have been used to.

I'm quite excited, how sad is that :o
    I'm beginning to wonder if I need to "get a life" :)

This IS life ... if you're single. No need to go and get one, this is it :)

I didn't realise you'd not been in one before. There's a thread on MSE about good/bad buys at L1dl/4ldi which I've tried to read before, but found it tough going - and most people were buying stuff I'd never touch.... so I don't bother reading it any more.

In short: only you know what you like and what you currently eat ... so it's pretty pointless others saying XYZ is good because even if you do eat that, you might not like theirs :)

You have to try stuff for yourself.

I shopped at L1dl regularly before 4ldi opened, so have tried products from A that I used to buy in L - and which I prefer is personal taste. I prefer L1dl's cheap marg and part-baked baguettes....

I get the 20p cans of 4ldi creamed rice... one of those "meal in a tin" moments, although it is 2 portions, so I have to eat it 2x once opened. They're "nothing to write home about", but they do fill a gap.

4ldi tinned spuds are a really good buy, 19p or 29p (can't remember off hand!). I've eaten many tins of cheap spuds in the past ... these have the best texture imho.

Tinned tomatoes - they have a good thick sauce in them - although I think that L1dl's tomato sauce is a bit thicker... but happy to buy the 4ldi tinned tomatoes if I need some (29p/tin).

I was sucked in by the cheap packs of Jaffas when I first went in - grabbed a pack, but didn't enjoy those, so won't be buying those again.

Big baps :) - packs of 4 bread rolls are a good size ... I tried the 6-packs of smaller ones and swore I'd only ever buy the big/4 packs in future.

You just enjoy yourself and have a good shuffle round ..... see what's there, what you fancy.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Any wrote: »
    If it is in some sort of packaging, pop the packaging into water. Not hot. Just normal cold water.
    It will speed up the defrosting process considerably.

I would avoid microwave, unless you have one of the expensive ones that have clever defrosting system.

Thanks for the tip Any :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: - I think I have learnt the hard way to be aware of wind when taking the trolley out :D

Would that have been when you found yourself emulating Mary Poppins and taking off in the air - complete with open brolley?:rotfl:

Sorrees....shouldnt laugh:o
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This IS life ... if you're single. No need to go and get one, this is it :)

I didn't realise you'd not been in one before. There's a thread on MSE about good/bad buys at L1dl/4ldi which I've tried to read before, but found it tough going - and most people were buying stuff I'd never touch.... so I don't bother reading it any more.
    Yep, I'm single :)
    Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this thread. I think I had seen it in the past but not read it or taken any notice of it because I couldn't get to either of the shops. I'm going to have a quick look at the more recent posts now :)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 14 June 2017 at 9:30AM
    Having made two rounds of tomato sandwiches yesterday, while waiting for my tea to cook (I cannot leave the room when an appliance is on)..... I ate one round yesterday evening.

Breakfast had to be beans/scrambled eggs on toast as I'd opened the beans 3-4 days ago and it was the final 1/3rd of the tin + I had that new loaf + I've got eggs in.

The tomato sandwich I still have will end up as (early) lunch no doubt .

I should probably also mention the prawn crackers the takeaway "gifted" me on Sunday evening ... I've been randomly nibbling those... and I've now got just two left.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Back from Aldi and I'm pleased to say that I got on very well walking there and back and using the trolley. I'm finding that as I start walking I hardly notice that I've got the trolley anymore. I am surprised at how light it is even when full of food and all my bits and pieces that I find necessary to take out with me 'just in case' :)

Aldi was an eye opener to me. After all these years that I have only had access to Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S has made me realise how much money I have wasted on food. I was pleased when I got the trolley and that meant that I could get to Tesco and carry back the shopping. I saved a fair bit on my weekly shop the first time I went there compared to the three other shops I had been using. I didn't buy too much in Aldi this morning because as PN says you have to try their stuff and see what suits your taste. So I bought some staples that I needed and a few things to try. I also needed eggs and rhubarb and each of those were 50p cheaper than Tesco for the same size/weight so that was £1 saving to start with.

I was genuinely surprised at how cheap a lot of their stuff was.

Sorry I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but to me being able to buy food this cheap is a first :)

The best purchase I think I have made for many years is the trolley. It will soon have paid for itself and be saving me money :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,

I'm feeling more like it this morning though still a bit fuzzy from the meds and moving cautiously. Dinner last night ended up as a steak bake thingy, mushrooms and a small baked spud. Breakfast was toast with cheese spread and a very juicy flat peach. My Dad popped by earlier and in the course of chatting I mentioned I had made broccoli & stilton soup the other day - needless to say two portions have gone home with him. Lunch will probably be the last of the soup there is only a small portion left and I've a notion for an egg and tomato sandwich. I've 2 ducks and a hens egg needing used up as they are at/over their use bys so I'll boil these and have them over the next few days. I've no idea about dinner tonight something that doesn't involve pans of boiling water...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Back from Aldi and I'm pleased to say that I got on very well walking there and back and using the trolley. I'm finding that as I start walking I hardly notice that I've got the trolley anymore. I am surprised at how light it is even when full of food and all my bits and pieces that I find necessary to take out with me 'just in case' :)

Aldi was an eye opener to me. After all these years that I have only had access to Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S has made me realise how much money I have wasted on food. I was pleased when I got the trolley and that meant that I could get to Tesco and carry back the shopping. I saved a fair bit on my weekly shop the first time I went there compared to the three other shops I had been using. I didn't buy too much in Aldi this morning because as PN says you have to try their stuff and see what suits your taste. So I bought some staples that I needed and a few things to try. I also needed eggs and rhubarb and each of those were 50p cheaper than Tesco for the same size/weight so that was £1 saving to start with.

I was genuinely surprised at how cheap a lot of their stuff was.

Sorry I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but to me being able to buy food this cheap is a first :)

The best purchase I think I have made for many years is the trolley. It will soon have paid for itself and be saving me money :D
    I'm glad your trip was a success - I so wish I could get to one.:)
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    .... something that doesn't involve pans of boiling water...

Nothing I cook EVER involves any pans ... or pans of water ... or the hob.

I steam veggies ... and I boil pastas .... I boil/poach/omelette/scramble eggs .... all in the little metal box of magic beams.

Earlier I made two more rounds of tomato sandwiches. That's used up the final big tomato I bought the other week... and I'm about half way down the loaf I bought Monday now! Those two rounds are in a plastic box, ready to be eaten on a whim. I've cut them into quarters, so there are eight quarters.... that sounds like a day-long nibble-fest to me.

I like the sandwiches when they've been made/sat for many hours .... so, I had a cheeky bowl of honey/peanut cornflakes. I have tried 4ldi and L1dl now - while both are nice enough, I think L1dl have the edge on those as they flakes seem a little lighter/thinner/crisper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure