Kids in flats

124»

Comments

• KrankieLad
    KrankieLad Posts: 11 Forumite
    debrag wrote: »
    I have nothing against kids living in flats, they have to live somewhere, but surely they can't just act like kids while indoors!

There's a family with one baby and one toddler, they don't live directly above us but they sure as do sound like they do. It's not all day every day thank god but it sounds like the kid is constantly jumping off furniture and running around. The parents do nothing, in fact they join in!

Most people will just say they are 'just being kids' but they can go outside and do that I'm glad I'm not directly below them. It's a very small 2 bed flat and no kids above 5 live in the blocks so I can only hope that they move out some time soon.

If the kid above us runs around or screams etc then she gets told off, but the other family do nothing.

I have the same above me. Parent dumps kids every Friday on Grandma and they spend until 8pm Sunday night running riot, screaming, shouting, jumping, banging doors etc. It's a nightmare. The people above me clearly have zero respect for anyone else living in the building.

To make matters worse the toddler stands on a table on the balcony, it's an accident waiting to happen. I moved here because initially rules where no children under the age of 10. Out of three families two have been a nightmare, the first got evicted after complaints from several other flats and recording equipment picked up the noise. The second family were bliss and the 3rd I am back in hell.

I should add it's not just weekends, happens during the week as well.

I could move but I'll probably end up with another ignorant sod!
  • KrankieLad
    Guest101 wrote: »
    You have absolutely no right to dictate your expectations to anyone.

If you don't like it, move to a detached property.

Ha ha, I tried that before living in a flat, I called it the estate from hell. I moved to a flat because it was a kid free zone - how wrong I was!
  • KrankieLad
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I don't think its anything to do with accomodation size but all to do with parenting.

As a parent if you have children and cannot give them outside space to let of steam then you take them to the park, beach, woods, activity centres to enjoy some fresh air and tire them out.

If you don't, can't, won't take your kids out then you show some respect to your neighbours and teach awareness to your kids and keep the noise down.

Simples

I couldn't agree more. Parents who don't engage with their children and allow them to run riot and disturb the peace of others simply should not be parents.
  • KrankieLad
    mgdavid wrote: »
    so thinking it through, in an ideal world adults in flats should not breed children....?

Have kids by all means but take them out to a park or swimming to tire them out, don't let them run riot for 15 hours a day disturbing others. It's called respect and it seems to be lacking in many parents today.
  • So the issue is not where the children live, but how they behave...

And in an ideal world families would be able to afford homes with gardens.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    KrankieLad wrote: »
    Have kids by all means but take them out to a park or swimming to tire them out, don't let them run riot for 15 hours a day disturbing others. It's called respect and it seems to be lacking in many parents today.

Equally, you could go out? So you aren't disturbed
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I think theres a fine line between kids being kids and parents letting kids get away with anything often due to laziness, at my current property I get a lot of noise from neighbours upstiars kids not because they are much different than regular kids, but the kids spend a lot of time running around on laminate so you hear when the kids knock things over or when they wake before parents in morning.

To say the problem is with the person being disturbed by the noise shows hypocricy in most cases by people who don't have to deal with it.

Theres a fine line between tolerance, and acceptable noise it seems kids are just given a free pass because people assume its just kids being kids.

I have neighbours on other side who are friendly and have young kids and you never hear the slightest noise so sound insulation isn't the case.

I always think compromise is the best, I have neighbours across the road who have kids out past 10pm, and teenagers out to around midnight but you don't hear much, I don't mind if they are indoor or outdoors

So kids playing isn't an issue its parents letting them run riot that is a problem.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I think theres a fine line between kids being kids and parents letting kids get away with anything often due to laziness, at my current property I get a lot of noise from neighbours upstiars kids not because they are much different than regular kids, but the kids spend a lot of time running around on laminate so you hear when the kids knock things over or when they wake before parents in morning.

To say the problem is with the person being disturbed by the noise shows hypocricy in most cases by people who don't have to deal with it.

Theres a fine line between tolerance, and acceptable noise it seems kids are just given a free pass because people assume its just kids being kids.

I have neighbours on other side who are friendly and have young kids and you never hear the slightest noise so sound insulation isn't the case.

I always think compromise is the best, I have neighbours across the road who have kids out past 10pm, and teenagers out to around midnight but you don't hear much, I don't mind if they are indoor or outdoors

So kids playing isn't an issue its parents letting them run riot that is a problem.
    I don't think the person getting disturbed is the problem, but they are the one that has the problem.

And the only solution that can have any meaningful level of success is to move.
  • Ponsienella
    Ponsienella Posts: 127
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wherever there are flats there are always loads of 'For sale' or 'To let' signs because of the problems caused by living in such proximity to others in inadequately soundproofed housing.

I don't think people always realise how sound travels....and people with several children probably become used to the noise level and can zone it out...whereas if you live underneath it, it's a different story.

It would be nice in an ideal world for children to live in houses with access to gardens but, failing that, it would be great if the Government, in the fullness of time, could afford to soundproof flats as they become vacant prior to being re-let.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I don't think the person getting disturbed is the problem, but they are the one that has the problem.

And the only solution that can have any meaningful level of success is to move.

Shifting blame then, sounds like the mentality of someone who would do something like make the noise.

8 years ago I was assaulted by a neighbour as had walls so thin you could hear everything and laminate, he claimed I was up all night when bar about 4 times in 3 months I was in bed by midnight, admitted he heard nothing during the day (i.e when he was awake) he was at my door multiple times a week making threats of violence and screaming how I had a bad neighbour, now he complained about eveyr neighbour he had since he moved in which was about 7 sets of tenants I was tiptoeing about in slippers and only had a very old mono tv with zero bass.

He was the sort of person you describe who has the problem as to him everything was bad, I never heard much from the person above me either, and one on side I heard when he talked and that was it.

So for noise to disturb me it would have to be excessive I have lived next to busy main roads in town centres so loud when I had guests round they were woken around 5am, didn't disturb me, I lived above a pub that had karaoke so loud it it drowned out tv, didn't disturb me if anything helped me sleep.

I sleep amd relax better in bedsits, but then I have more noise.

So its not noise that disturbs me but excessive noise, why would it be my problem that others are making as much noise as they can and don't care at all about noise, why justify everything for one side of an argument because lets say they have kids make a lot of noise.

I wouldn't be bothered with a child crying even if it was daily and at random times, if child was full on strop mode and chucking stuff about I would be.

If parents just let kids run riot so they don't have to deal with them thats bad parenting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure