Vehicle-Rent.com ..... too good to be true?

Just booked car hire through this agent for two weeks in Ireland next summer, final hirer is Budget.

The price I got from Vehicle-Rent was very low compared to the rest, and low compared to previous summers: car hire in Ireland is usually very expensive during the summer peak.

I've had a look at some review sites which are unexpectedly positive but I wondered what others experiences of this firm are, for car hire in Ireland in particular..grateful for any feedback, either way???

Is it too good to be true OR should I not look a gift-horse in the mouth?

Comments

• I say take it! I was in Valencia this summer and rented a car twice for 4-6 Euro per day each time (granted 5+ days each time). Anyway, never had an issue once. Go for it!
    - James
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I say take it! I was in Valencia this summer and rented a car twice for 4-6 Euro per day each time (granted 5+ days each time). Anyway, never had an issue once. Go for it!

How on earth can a car hire company make a profit renting a care for 4-6 Euro per day?
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2016 at 12:10PM
    RHemmings wrote: »
    How on earth can a car hire company make a profit renting a care for 4-6 Euro per day?

We got 14 days Faro Airport Aug/Sep for 113 euro 8 euro a day with Auto Europe (Goldcar):eek:
    It was a brand new fiat 500 full/full fuel policy easy to check/photo bodywork
    Took out excess insurance for £18 less £9.50 cashback £8.50 total
    First time we have used them and as long as you check conditions/paperwork/car it should be ok
  • janel
    janel Posts: 21 Forumite
    Awful company. I booked a car for collection and pick up at an airport. Their voucher confirmed this. When I got to arrivals hall I was bundles into a minibus with my luggage and a group of others, driven out of the airport down the road, round the roundabout and back to a yard a portacabins on a site next to the airport. In spite of being first out of the arrivals hall I was last out of the minibus. I waited around an hour in their "office" with broken printers two members of staff, one of whom took over 15 minutes each time he took the keys to hand over the car.

I called Vehicle rent and was told I should have scrolled down the voucher past the confirmation of airport pick up to a line of text saying "a representative will meet you in the arrivals hall". From that I was meant to deduce that the voucher confirmation of pick up location meant nothing. Never again. This company misrepresents pick and drop off locations and will not allow any calls to be escalated. In spite of what looks like a UK company - they are actually based in Slovakia. BEWARE
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have never heard of them but they look to get good reviews

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.vehicle-rent.com
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    do not believe everything you read on trustpilot
  • I see a couple of great reviews and one that is bad, anyone with any experience in 2018 renting at vehicle rent?
  • My wife and I just completed a 24 day road trip of the Deep South USA. I originally booked the car hire through a company called Vehicle-rent.com who I believe are European (German?). I booked way back in March 2018 for a car hire from Atlanta airport for the trip in March & April 2019.
    They had keen prices and I booked for an intermediate size vehicle with the local agent being Advantage. However, as the trip got nearer (in Feb 2019), I checked the reviews on the car hire company itself (not the agent who was Vehicle-rent.com) and found that Advantage had terrible reviews for Atlanta. So I cancelled my booking with Vehicle-rent.com and paid a few dollars more to book with Alamo (who had the best selection of cars available at the airport and were only a few dollars more).
    Vehicle-rent.com initially tried to get me to continue to use their service but once I made it clear I had already made other arrangements they confirmed that my deposit of £25.67 would be paid back onto my credit card. quote "MONEY BACK: The amount that you have paid on our website has been fully refunded on your account. Yet, keep in mind that it may take your bank up to 15-45 days to complete this transaction."
    Needless to say, this money has not appeared in my account, despite me cancelling the rental on the 1st March. They have dragged their feet in confirming to me:
    1. What account number (card number) has been sued for the refund?
    2. The actual date of the transaction
    3. The name of the payee for the refund.
    I have checked with my bank and they confirm that no refund has been paid. They have raised a dispute on my behalf and I will claim the money back from this company in that way.
    The latest correspondence I have from this company is as follows....."After verification by our accounting department, we would need your bank statement from March and April, to verify the detail with our bank because from our side every single cent was refunded to you."
    This is the final straw for me! I am NOT going to issue this company with a record of all my transactions on that account for the two month period where I used this card heavily (while In the USA)! I am claiming the refund back through the credit card company.
    My question is, has anyone else used this company and had a similar experience? Of course, I appreciate it is only those people who cancelled their bookings who may have a similar experience? Presumably, the vast majority of their customers went through with their original bookings and had no issues? Thoughts please!
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Yes, used them last year 2 week hire in Kos £90 ish for hire of small 5 door at the airport, Rental company Dirent they share a both with Avance car hire, we chose to take Vehicle rent insurance cost about £40. Got a 4month old car, no hassle from Dirent they did secure a €800 deposit on our credit card, took photos of the car before taking it 1very small scratch notes, pointed this out on return, no hassle took about 3 weeks for excess deposit to be returned
  • S1000
    S1000 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I would not recommend using this company they are cheap for a reason, customer service is appalling and cannot get in touch with them to resolve issues. They have £1205 of my excess payment and despite approving my claim after a month (minor damage to the rental) they seem to be refusing to refund me and have advised the timescales are over 90 days for the payment. However a quick search of the internet shows others who have not received refund after 120 days, seems like a SCAM!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure