Can't afford oil, what options do we have?

Oil is about to run out, I would say this week will finish it. We simply can't afford the prices as I earn min wage and my Mrs only works part time, we have 3 kids under 6.

I have a poor credit rating so couldn't get a loan to buy oil and even if I could its the principle of the thing, the oil prices have got far to high.

We have a fire but it has no back boiler so would only heat the one room. So I think the only option is use the fire to heat the living room and get a couple of heaters for the bedrooms, anyone any ideas on which type of heaters? We can't afford sky high electric costs eithers.

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,569 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Use the fire to keep one room warm and introduce the kids to hot water bottles. Think back to what you or your parents did before central heating.
    Any form of heating is expensive. Can you get a calor gas heater? At least you buy the gas in advance for it and won't run up unexpected bills.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have used electric oil filled radiators in the past. Have always felt these were cheaper to run though possibly more expensive to buy.
  • slugger09
    slugger09 Posts: 411 Forumite
    victor2 wrote: »
    Use the fire to keep one room warm and introduce the kids to hot water bottles. Think back to what you or your parents did before central heating.
    Any form of heating is expensive. Can you get a calor gas heater? At least you buy the gas in advance for it and won't run up unexpected bills.

Where do you get these at
  • slugger09
    Infact where do you buy any heater? Argos seems to be out of stock of everything
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    slugger09 wrote: »
    Infact where do you buy any heater? Argos seems to be out of stock of everything

Electrical wholesalers and DIY merchants will have them such as Newey & Eyre,Edmundsons,Wickes,B&Q etc
  • Slugger, what do you do for hot water? Do you have an immersion heater? We have oil but atm it also heats the water so not much choice. Think oil filled rads are not too expensive now and quite efficient - also heard good things about halogen heaters. We use a small fanheater in DDs room when the CH is off, but only for short periods - good for a quick blast of heat.
  • Lizzy
    Lizzy Posts: 385 Forumite
    I saw loads of heaters at B & Q they were stacked up. They were the radiator electric ones with a vented top which I think blows out hot air. They probably have other types as well. I didn't check the price though because I wasn't looking for one sorry. I think this type will be safer for the kids. No flame and no gassing them.
  • slugger09
    Slugger, what do you do for hot water? Do you have an immersion heater? We have oil but atm it also heats the water so not much choice. Think oil filled rads are not too expensive now and quite efficient - also heard good things about halogen heaters. We use a small fanheater in DDs room when the CH is off, but only for short periods - good for a quick blast of heat.

At the min the oil heats the water to. We also have an immersion so wont be beat without oil in terms of water anyway
  • slugger09
    Lizzy wrote: »
    I saw loads of heaters at B & Q they were stacked up. They were the radiator electric ones with a vented top which I think blows out hot air. They probably have other types as well. I didn't check the price though because I wasn't looking for one sorry. I think this type will be safer for the kids. No flame and no gassing them.

Right B&Q it is then. I'd go £100 max for 2, that should buy a couple of fairly decent ones. Think i'll also start lighting the fire, Ok it only heats 1 room but heat rises and out bedroom is above.
  • IHateDida
    IHateDida Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    We have a great oil filled radiator - I've heard they are relatively inexpensive to run - obviously doesn't heat up immediately but very warm once hot. Something like this would do the job: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-2194.aspx (I expect larger Tescos would have them in stock)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure