Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Comments

• lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some good ideas there mije thank you
  • tomnat
    tomnat Posts: 47 Forumite
    I have just rung Sky up to cancel as I've been made redundant. We've been with them for over 10 years and are not in contract. Also we have the full package of movies,sports,variety pack, hd etc but not phone or broadband and we pay £82.50 a month!
    As Im not the bill payer, hubby is, they said I couldn't cancel but could give me a deal as didn't want to lose us.
    They offered £64.50 per month for all the above and if I wanted to include phone and broadband they would give it to us for £12.55 a month (inclusive of line rental).
    The phone and broadband is quite a good deal but wasn't impressed with the TV package offer. Just wondered what everyone thought of what they offered?
  • SAHD_Jim
    SAHD_Jim Posts: 242 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 31 March 2015 at 1:25PM
    tomnat wrote: »
    I have just rung Sky up to cancel as I've been made redundant. We've been with them for over 10 years and are not in contract. Also we have the full package of movies,sports,variety pack, hd etc but not phone or broadband and we pay £82.50 a month!
    As Im not the bill payer, hubby is, they said I couldn't cancel but could give me a deal as didn't want to lose us.
    They offered £64.50 per month for all the above and if I wanted to include phone and broadband they would give it to us for £12.55 a month (inclusive of line rental).
    The phone and broadband is quite a good deal but wasn't impressed with the TV package offer. Just wondered what everyone thought of what they offered?

As an ex customer, the best deal I've been offered for TV was 50% off for 12 months plus £100 credit. Got that last week.

Having said that if they claim you can't cancel, I can't see how they can alternatively let you sign hubby up for a further contract either. If you are not their customer, they need to speak to him.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tomnat wrote: »

Just cancel it, they'll offer you at least 50% off once you do. If they didn't, for whatever reason, you won't be missing much.
  • tomnat
    tomnat Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2015 at 7:13PM
    Thanks for the thoughts, I was a bit bemused myself how they said that only the bill payer could cancel yet they were willing to supply me with an offer to pass on to him. Think I'll get hubby to ring them back and go ahead with the cancellation as there's no way we can afford the £64.50 either.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You have nothing to lose by cancelling (giving required notice though),as you have no phone/bb contract to be affected and could get reinstatement instantly, should they offer something affordable.

It won't harm your boys to watch less tv, either.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I had an offer for 10 months half price on TV and £100 credit on my account with 31 days notice.

31 days before the credit was due (8 months remaining on the half price offer) to be used up I called them up and cancelled the TV as we were still not watching it.

Whilst they seemed surprised, they did put the cancellation through and now I am getting calls at least twice a day from the win back team.

So yes, if you give your notice, you will get a call with some sort of offer. I have no idea what they are offering at the moment as I have been avoiding their calls :)
  • I signed up to Sky TV & Broadband Unlimited a few days ago. Unfortunately because we're moving into a block of flats we're not eligible for any of the cashback offers (It's in the T&Cs). After trawling through various broadband suppliers etc to see which deals combinations were going to work out the best I settled for everything under Sky.

We will be on a 12 month contract, Sky Family Pack (inc. HD) and Broadband Unlimited for £33 a month (Inc. line rental). We were offered the £100 vouchers on top (didn't want these), but ended up with approx. £8 a month discount for the next 12 months instead, which oddly worked out better than the £75 bill credit alternative instead.

N.B. Virgin Media not available in the area.
  • bluebiro
    bluebiro Posts: 138 Forumite
    Hi I think i posted this in the wrong forum just now so will post here:
    Just been on the phone to sky and told them I wanted to cancel, they offered me 10% off tv package and line rental for £9.99 and nothing off BB, I tried to push for more off and she said that was all they are able to do. So cutting it short she has gone ahead and cancelled everything but got 30 days,
    My question is will they ring back with a better offer or shall i phone and accept because my partner really doesn't want to lose sky and shes not happy with me.
    any help appreciated.
    Swagbucks joined 20/12/12 £50AGC £60 paypal
    My Survey :£10 AGC,Valued opinions £10 voucher
    £20 ASDA Vouchers £10 amazon £20 boots
    Total claimed:£160
    Ebay=£19.40
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Based on my experience, they will ring you renentlessly and send you various offers in the mail so dont worry yet.

You can still call up the day before cut off and tell them that you have changed your mind and they will reverse it..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure