TSB rate dropping

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    greenglide wrote: »
    So what happens if you have a joint account but only one is registered for Internet banking? Will you lose the interest because of this

You would fall down on the requirement for both to log in, but it's easily remedied.

We opened three accounts, two individual and a joint at the same time, in branch. The lady knew I would be doing all the internet banking so suggested I pick a password for my husband that was based on the same pattern as mine,so easily remembered.

When passing the required £500 through (actually more as it's in a pattern with other accounts' requirements), I sometimes log in as me, then transfer to the joint account to check progress and send money onwards.

Later in the chain, I log in as my husband , then check the joint to establish payment for the savings accounts and move the cycled money back to source.

This way both participants (appear to ) log in regularly .
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Well the one bit of good news is I will probably have a current account that I no longer need (I have two CP accounts in my sole name) so I may be able to get a switching bonus out of this!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You would fall down on the requirement for both to log in, but it's easily remedied.

We opened three accounts, two individual and a joint at the same time, in branch. The lady knew I would be doing all the internet banking so suggested I pick a password for my husband that was based on the same pattern as mine,so easily remembered.

When passing the required £500 through (actually more as it's in a pattern with other accounts' requirements), I sometimes log in as me, then transfer to the joint account to check progress and send money onwards.

Later in the chain, I log in as my husband , then check the joint to establish payment for the savings accounts and move the cycled money back to source.

This way both participants (appear to ) log in regularly .

You do realise that you are breaking the T&Cs, which are similar across every bank with which I have accounts.

http://www.tsb.co.uk/legal/personal_banking_terms_and_conditionsnew.pdf

see 4.3 on page 6, which I'm sure you're aware of:cool:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Well the one bit of good news is I will probably have a current account that I no longer need (I have two CP accounts in my sole name) so I may be able to get a switching bonus out of this!
    If you opened another Classic account now (or any other account from a different bank for that matter) you'd get your switching bonus sooner...in addition to being able to keep your 2 Classic Plus accounts if they don't carry out what they say they may do come the new year.

It's worth remembering that if banks are cutting back on interest/Rewards they may also cut back on marketing budgets!
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    badger09 wrote: »
    You do realise that you are breaking the T&Cs, which are similar across every bank with which I have accounts.

http://www.tsb.co.uk/legal/personal_banking_terms_and_conditionsnew.pdf

see 4.3 on page 6, which I'm sure you're aware of:cool:

I doubt teddysmum will be alone in this respect.
  • Richchad
    Richchad Posts: 534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have 6 TSB accounts, two joint and two sole accounts each, so which ones will they transfer/convert to other accounts, I wonder what the criteria will be for deciding which accounts will be for the chop?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    FOREVER21 wrote: »

Probably not. Doesn't mean its a good idea though;)
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    in addition to being able to keep your 2 Classic Plus accounts if they don't carry out what they say they may do come the new year.
    Having now received and read my email, I note that they will give two months notice before downgrading surplus Classic Plus accounts. Could they give that notice before the new terms come in in January?
    So either there will be a flurry of emails at the beginning of November, or our accounts will go on at the new rates for a few months longer.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • FOREVER21 wrote: »

A bit like PIN numbers - has there ever been a survey done on how many couples freely share those with their partners. I doubt the percentage that do would be in single figures!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 4:03PM
    badger09 wrote: »
    Probably not. Doesn't mean its a good idea though;)

Why ?
    I have my husband's permission and after 44 years we only have separate accounts for savings (and originally, taxation) purposes, with all income initially going to a joint account.
    He prefers me to deal with how our money is distributed, as he says I'm 'the mathematician', but we don't consider our income and possessions as 'his and hers' , but 'ours'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure