Military discount thread (MERGED) Please post all discounts here!

Comments

• GillzD_2
    GillzD_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    that sucks a bit! how unfair! but i suppose if they let our soldiers stay they would have to let everyother army stay so might be a bit crowded!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    With Shades of Green, it is undoubtedly the case that you are 'officially' not entitled to use any of the facilities, unless attached to the US Military. They turn a 'blind eye' to it for tickets etc; however the discounts are fairly small.

The Hotel is excellent but as any US 'Veteran' can stay there it is normally booked solid well in advance. Depending on your rank, it is not particularly cheap. There isn't normally any objection to you dining there, however don't ask if you can or the answer will be No.

As you enter Disney if you go across to the right Hand lane and tell the booth attendant you are going to Shades you don't pay for parking and can go straight to the normal parking area. You won't have a ticket to display, but then nobody does display them anyway.
  • Polly_Pod
    Polly_Pod Posts: 411 Forumite
    oh yeah.... this was mentioned a lot when we were there..... there were priority queue lanes too - fantastic idea
    2010 - nothing as we emigrated to Australia!!! :j
  • Polly_Pod
    Polly_Pod Posts: 411 Forumite
    Just came across an article

British Veterans Card Unlocks Discounts in USA

>HERE<

I know it doesn't deal with serving soldiers but it maybe useful to someone
    2010 - nothing as we emigrated to Australia!!! :j
  • you can get upto 10% discount from most shops but not all with an ID card

my Wife bought some food tickets that allowed the kids to eat free. recommend the golden coral for budegt breakfast etc.

army discount book will give details of the US military linked discount but it seemed more hassle.

best to google discount tickest and check trip adviser though . It a research thing
  • i have been told no that I cant get discount at my local dorothy perkins and I am based at Catterick garrison.
    :xmastree: karen :A
  • I have recently found out if you go to the Customer Service Desk and show your Army I.D. or Dependents card, they give you a card that shows you where you can get discount in the centre, all you have to do is show the card and you get 10% off everything even sale goods.

But you can only use the card once, as they cross off there shop, so you cant use it again that day. So make sure you have a good look around before you buy anything.

karen
    :xmastree: karen :A
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Man, thats great, really good to know. Do you know what shops offer the discount?
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    At swindon you can also get 10% off in SOME stores if you spend over a certain amount.
    You need to register on the website for thie VIP offers.
    http://www.swindondesigneroutlet.com/vipoffers/vip_offers.aspx

Print out a voucher once you've registered then take it to the information desk in the middle.
    They will give you a small leaflet with the names of the stores that accept it on.

I don't know about other stores but it's worth checking if they do something similar.
  • gtd2000
    gtd2000 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've only used "servicemans discount" in North America and the availability of discounts puts us to shame in the UK.

I remember there used to be some scheme to get discounted train fares on BR (yeah it's a few years ago!) but you had to apply for a card in advance - KISS principle should apply - just use your military ID card when buying the ticket...but no that wasn't acceptable :mad:

A few years back (2002) my old dear came over the US to visit me (I lived there 2001~2007) and I took her on a trip to see New England during the "fall" as they say over that way.
    I used the usual discount sites on the web for hotels and decided to call around and see if there was any difference in price.
    I actually got better deals on the phone and received military discount on one of the hotels and got senior discount on others as that was even better (based on my mum).
    I explained to the operator that I don't normally carry my ID with me and asked if I need to take it with me and present it to the hotel on arrival - ID card was not required at all - discount is given on the phone, pure and simple :T

Edit:
    Note that in some parts of the USA "senior" discount applies if you are 50 or older!

Certain chains often offer senior meals on various days of the week that can be very good value. By the time my mums month was up in Florida she knew all the cheap deals and had a great trip overall
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure