hello. help and advice needed.

Comments

• randomrules
    randomrules Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hello everyone,

Things been pretty rough since I last posted and I need further advice. I have been particularly unwell these last weeks and my hand has been somewhat forced and I am no longer living with my parents. I am technically homeless and moving from friend to friend sleeping in spare rooms / floors. Was in crisis due to my mental health and almost did something very stupid to hurt myself.

I know that at least 2 of my 5 creditors have accepted token payments and frozen interest so far. My question now is do I need to draw up a new budget with Stepchange? And if so, how do I do this when I don't have a stable lifestyle - in the fact I had to spend money on a train across the country to reach my friends, etc.

The min payment for one cc alone is more than I receive in SSP so I guess a budget is somewhat academic. However, I also realise I should probably inform Stepchange of my change of circumstances. Trouble is everything is such a mess at the moment I don't exactly know what my new circumstances are.

Any help greatly received.
  • rachaelpie
    rachaelpie Posts: 54 Forumite
    Have u been to ur local council? They can put u in a hostel until permanent accommodation is available. At least then u can be stable. Go bankrupt when u have a permanent home. The payments can alter in bankruptcy when i worked full time I was paying £147 but then when.my son started school.and I.changed to part time, I now only pay £22 as this.is.classed as surplus. There are several ways u can work out ur surplus income, I did a basic spreadsheet for mine with every income and every outgoing, then I offered what was left and they agreed. Make sure u are putting everything down, including window cleaners, hobbies, hairdressers. As long as it is realistic they agree, if u pit £40 a month for hairdresser they'd tell u to cut back.
    I apologise.for the full stops, I'm using.my phone and it tales.forever to go back and retype!! Sorry!! Lol
    Without change there would be no butterflies
    If you don't like it, change it.
    The comments and advice I give are what I believe to be correct
    My phone likes to use full stops instead of spaces sometimes, I type too quickly and it would take forever to go back and change them all, so please excuse them!
  • randomrules
    randomrules Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks for responding Rachel. I've not approached any council yet. I can't really go back to my home town/family. I've been across the country so far but heading generally in the direction of where my job still is, (which is not my home town) - so that when I am well I can try and live close to work as I won't have access to car and don't want massive travel cost.

From what I can tell I will probably be bottom of the pile in terms of the council finding me somewhere to live. I feel like I am in a bit of a chicken and egg situation as I'm not well enough to go back to work at the moment but I need a couple of months on a decent wage to be able to get the deposit together for a room to rent and then to save to go bankrupt. Also, the NHS are unable to provide the psychological therapy they wish me to have because I am not around in one place long enough to start it, so I need to be settled before I can get properly well but can't settle down until I am well.

Will the OR be !!!!ed when he discovers I returned to work and just saved the money for a place to live/go bankrupt while continuing token payments?

Because that is the only way I can see myself getting sorted before going bankrupt.

I'm still attending regular GA meetings and I am over 40 days without a bet so that is at least something.
  • rachaelpie
    rachaelpie Posts: 54 Forumite
    Get to the town where u work and go to.their council, u are homeless, that is a priority. They will put.u in a hostel and.I.believe give u an allowance to buy food. That is the first thing u need to do, in my opinion. They will then.source u a flat/house,.which may not be brilliant but it is a permanent roof.over ur head.
    There's no way.of the OR being able to see u saving and if s/he does then u have an explanation for what t e money was for and u will have receipts and proof of what it was spent on.
    Well.done on ur 40 days, keep.it.up.
    Honestly, the way i see it, u can't get any help with br or.mental.health until u have a place to live so that needs.to.be ur number 1 priority.
    Sorry about the random full stops, my phone likes to use them instead of spaces and it would take forever to go back ans retype lol
    Without change there would be no butterflies
    If you don't like it, change it.
    The comments and advice I give are what I believe to be correct
    My phone likes to use full stops instead of spaces sometimes, I type too quickly and it would take forever to go back and change them all, so please excuse them!
  • lilybankrupt
    lilybankrupt Posts: 166 Forumite
    I just wanted to send a bit of sympathy and support - it sounds like you're in a bit of a tailspin with so many issues going on :(

I agree with rachaelpie that finding somewhere to live is the priority, but sadly I think you are right about the council.

I went to see my council last year in advance of being repossessed to understand my options, and discovered that being homeless in of itself does not make you a priority. I was told that as I don't have children or any serious health issues I would not be considered a priority for them and would have to wait at least a year for anything (even a hostel bed), even if that meant I was sleeping on the streets for a year.

That said I do think it would be worth you seeing the council as you have some health issues going on. If nothing else you can get on the waiting list, and some councils offer help with a rental deposit.

It would also be worth seeing if there are any charitable organisations in the area - a good starting point would be Crisis, who offer advice to single homeless people. Local to me for example there are a few hostel type places where you can live for a year or so if you meet their criteria.

In terms of saving up to pay a room / flat deposit before BR, my understanding is that this is OK with the OR as it's essential living. But even if they don't like it, having a roof over your head is still the most important thing.

Finally as a fellow compulsive gambler (five years clean now) - one day at a time is great advice for sorting out your life as well as quitting gambling :)
  • If you can get a doctor/GP to support your 'disability' & say that you will come to harm if you are homeless & will be made homeless (via a WRITTEN statement from your Dad), you may & I mean may, have a chance to argue your case with the council as a priority need. I'm no expert on this, but several yrs ago as I was on a disability based benefit I argued the toss at my local council. Eventually they offered very reluctantly to 'assist' me. Read all the council homeless info back to front & then again as you might find a 'loophole' category in which you can be classed as in need. You may just get a hostel place or a b&b but it's a start.
  • longtermplanner
    longtermplanner Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Your priority at the moment is to find somehere to live. Until that is sorted you can only make token payments to any debts through a DMP - calll Stepchange up and tell them your situation and ask to switch to 31 a month until new housing is sorted. If they say no, then end your DMP, because you need to go bankrupt anyway.
    Will the OR be !!!!ed when he discovers I returned to work and just saved the money for a place to live/go bankrupt while continuing token payments?
    no. Because this is the sensible thing to do from the debt management perspective.
  • Hello again,

I just wanted to give you a quick update and ask for a bit more advice. I am now living in a studio flat and back at work part time. I can just about get by on what I am earning and I am now in a position to petition for bankruptcy.

My current rent includes water, gas, electric. However I don't know the breakdown of the exact amounts. Will I need this info or will it be acceptable to just list the total of my rent (which is very reasonable)?
  • can anyone help?
  • Just tell them that those things are included in the rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure