Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• DocTim
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. We decided to book it into a Ford dealer to do diagnostics on it - they think it's a sticky injector sticking open and flooding one cylinder with petrol. A new injector's on order (not in stock). So we're hoping once that turn up it will fix it. The engine was stopped almost as soon as the fault developed, so hopefully there's no other damage.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Go on then, remove your airbox, it'll soon become obvious...... It's only held by friction and the hoses. But to remove it there is a cable tied just above the front mount, which needs to be cut away to prevent damage.
    Mine isn't held in by friction and the hoses. Why would you need to remove it?

The light, I was talking about the bulb holder for the tail light, that actually rattles around because it's only held at it's central point.

Mine has two clips. Maybe you've broken yours?
    Cable ties can be found holding the wiring loom in most locations under the hood.
    They use those on all cars. Hell I had a classic car from the early 80s and it used them too.

Maybe you should stop buying £400 bangers and buy a decent one instead of a 200,000 mile one and maybe you should learn how to take it apart and put it back together without breaking stuff.
  • CF1995
    CF1995 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    That's completely incorrect because there is both a temperature gauge and a warning light. The low fluid warning light would go on before the temperature started to get dangerously high and it would do it at a point there was still plenty of water in the system. In addition you'd most likely see some steam coming out of the bonnet on one side. When the hose fails it does not empty the cooling system instantaneously or even anywhere close. There is plenty of time to do it and in fact you could drive quite a few miles before any damage occurred. I've had top hoses split which do chuck a lot of water out and you have plenty of time to pull over and turn off the engine.

This is where you are very wrong Tarambor - The MK3 Focus doesn't have a coolant level sensor so the ECU has no way of knowing if the level has dropped. Also, the temp gauge is very crude, once coolant temp hits 43c it rises to the middle and will stay there between 43 and 110c, it doesn't move in proportion to the actual coolant temp. Even when the coolant does empty, this temp sensor sits in the water way, which when there is air in there and not coolant, it doesn't pick up the rising temperature as well meaning by the time it has detected a very hot engine, it is too late, this is one of the thing Ford fixed in the 2015 version of the 1.0 and fitted a cylinder head temp sensor for this very reason.

Please get your facts straight before calling out people for apparently being wrong.
  • locomomojojo
    Options
    Tim - did you get Ford to pay 100% for the repair? I have set up a page specifically for this problem and have helped hundreds get full contribution from Ford. Its scandalous that they are not recalling these vehicles...
  • Grahamp1989
    Options
    Hi, I've sent you a private message can you give me a link to your page. I've just started to experience the same problems. Degas pipe has been changed with the recall but still having issues with smoke intermittently from the exhaust. Any help to get ford to cover the costs of this would be great.
  • Redno5
    Options
    Hi there, could you send me the link to your site on the Coolant probs on the Ecoboost engine please. My daughters boyfriend has the same issue and we are about to start arguing with Ford tomorrow.
    Thanks Colin
  • locomomojojo
    Options
    Done :) For anyone else the group is called

'Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0L Turbo Zetec Faulty Coolant Pipe Engine Head Gasket'
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    For any of those affected by this or indeed if you have an ecoboost Ford (especially 2012 to 2014)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

I had one and got rid of mine as soon as I read the forum and started doing a bit of digging. The 180 cars on FB at the moment are only the tip of the iceberg.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Up to over 300 cars now... DVSA are currently investigating Ecoboost cars due to premature engine failures.

Ford garage behaviour is terrible, they try to make money out of it.
    Peace.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Up to over 300 cars now... DVSA are currently investigating Ecoboost cars due to premature engine failures.

Ford garage behaviour is terrible, they try to make money out of it.
    There's going to be a lot more than that. Reading the threads on facebook and those speaking to recovery drivers this is a massive issue and also seems to be affecting the RS range of Ecoboost engines with 17 plate models being affected.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/ford-focus-rs-engine-problem-confirmed-to-cause-white-smoke/ar-BBGB6K5?li=AA8sb7&ocid=spartandhp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure