Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    I have had kids in a party be really addicted to playing on retropie.

Snes era games are very enjoyable, not everyone is addicted to the latest 3d graphics.

And not all the latest games are '3D graphics' either, I find most kids these days are frequently interested in their tablet games and those who are interested in Nintendo have chosen the Wii U or Switch over the SNES and played some of the newer titles (including the 2D ones) in preference.

John
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    takman wrote: »
    But you can't compare it to a modern console which are far more advanced than this.

If you wanted to buy something for a kid then a £50 android tablet would be far better and even if you ignore all the other features and just look at games. You can get thousands of games, lots of which are far better than any game on the Mini SNES. You also have the advantage of being able to play them without connecting it to a TV.
    You could even run an emulator on it and have every SNES game ever and use a bluetooth SNES controller.

Even if you wanted it for nostalgia value I personally would rather get an original one than this copy.

The value is on the fun, not the advancement of the technology.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The value is on the fun, not the advancement of the technology.

So how is it more fun to pay £80 for a console which only has 21 games when you can pay less and get every SNES game ever. Years ago when I got a PSP which was cheaper than this I put an emulator on it and has every NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive game on it plus some PS1 games. I could get an Android powered device which plugs into a TV with SNES controllers and every SNES game for less than £80.

You said this console would be good for kids but I can guarantee any one of the other options I have mentioned would be more fun for them because there would be far more than 21 games.

Also you do realise these systems are running on more advanced technology than the original, they are similar to the emulators I mention but just with a fancy case.

So exactly how is 21 games for £80 more fun than all the games ever realised for less money?.
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »
    How much are they worth then ?

I'm confused why you appear to be offended on Nintendos behalf by my posts? That console is "worth" maybe £50 tops. Anybody paying more than £80 is getting a very very poor deal and this is a MONEY SAVING EXPERT forum. Not a "we love Nintendo" place.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm confused why you appear to be offended on Nintendos behalf by my posts? That console is "worth" maybe £50 tops. Anybody paying more than £80 is getting a very very poor deal and this is a MONEY SAVING EXPERT forum. Not a "we love Nintendo" place.
    Right- so (in your opinion) it is not a bargain
    Live with it and don't buy one !!
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So how is it more fun to pay £80 for a console which only has 21 games when you can pay less and get every SNES game ever. Years ago when I got a PSP which was cheaper than this I put an emulator on it and has every NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive game on it plus some PS1 games. I could get an Android powered device which plugs into a TV with SNES controllers and every SNES game for less than £80.

You said this console would be good for kids but I can guarantee any one of the other options I have mentioned would be more fun for them because there would be far more than 21 games.

Also you do realise these systems are running on more advanced technology than the original, they are similar to the emulators I mention but just with a fancy case.

So exactly how is 21 games for £80 more fun than all the games ever realised for less money?.

Bear in mind one option is legal and the other is not.

I do own a pi3 which has retropie on it. But its not an official product.
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »
    Right- so (in your opinion) it is not a bargain
    Live with it and don't buy one !!

I HAVE ONE. Did you not read my earlier posts properly that you decided to comment on???????
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Of course the other major difference is that they are legal, whereas the emulators that you are talking about are not. You might as well be arguing that people shouldn't buy DVDs or Blu Rays because you can buy an android box and put Kodi on it, which gives you every film ever made for less money.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bear in mind one option is legal and the other is not.

I do own a pi3 which has retropie on it. But its not an official product.
    Of course the other major difference is that they are legal, whereas the emulators that you are talking about are not. You might as well be arguing that people shouldn't buy DVDs or Blu Rays because you can buy an android box and put Kodi on it, which gives you every film ever made for less money.

The legality is a good point to bring up. Firstly to be clear emulators are not illegal in any way and using them to play games you own is not illegal, e.g. running a PS1 game on a PC.

But yes downloading the Rom's for games you don't own is illegal. But from a moral point of view i'm happy to do this considering you cannot buy most of these games anymore from new. There is no way you can get hold of a copy of most of these games legally where the money will go to the right people.
    So your comparison to buying DVD's or Blu Rays is flawed because they are easily obtainable from new. The majority of films, even old ones can still be legally bought.
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2017 at 1:10PM
    The legality is a good point to bring up. Firstly to be clear emulators are not illegal in any way and using them to play games you own is not illegal, e.g. running a PS1 game on a PC.
    Correct. Nor, to borrow from my own example, is Kodi illegal, it just so happens that it is widely used to enable piracy.
    takman wrote:
    But yes downloading the Rom's for games you don't own is illegal. But from a moral point of view i'm happy to do this considering you cannot buy most of these games anymore from new. There is no way you can get hold of a copy of most of these games legally where the money will go to the right people.
    So your comparison to buying DVD's or Blu Rays is flawed because they are easily obtainable from new. The majority of films, even old ones can still be legally bought.
    Whilst you're correct that most retro games are not obtainable from new, many are available readily either on the second hand market, digitally through the Nintendo store/virtual console or similar, or indeed now in products such as the mini SNES, so to my mind the only reason why you would download entire libraries of games, as you have done, is because you didn't want to pay to source those games legally and didn't think you'd get caught. I'm not judging you for that, because many other people have done the same, but what it does mean is that debating the value for money from one legal option and one illegal option is a faulty comparison, which was the point of the discussion in this thread.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family