Am I being used by my family?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    In answer to your question in the title of your thread:
    Am I being used by my family?
    Yes, you are and I think you know it.

You can stop it by refusing to lend money next time you are asked.

Taking money that belongs to you (the money your sister took from your birthday card) without your consent is stealing.

After this, why on earth did you lend her £50?

I'm a little bit confused by this below:
    My mother asked to borrow £300 towards a car, however when I asked for the money back she said “I’ve got an enough money”, “I wanted her to have the car”, and “you can use the car for driving lessons”.
    Do you mean your Mother had enough money to buy the car without the £300 she borrowed from you?
    If she did, why didn't you insist on having that £300 back?

Who is the 'her' that your Mum referred to?

I think it's time to pull on your big girl pants and tell your family that you will not be lending them any more money.
    If you don't do that, there's only you to blame if they borrow again and don't pay you back in the future.
  • My sister asked to borrow £50 until next day to prevent overdraft fees due to direct debit. I agreed and transferred the money.

Four weeks later.. no mention of it. She did this last year too. I’m worried I’ll get the “it’s Christmas and I’ve got kids.. I’ll pay you back £10 a week soon” scenario. I think that’s terrible to ask to “borrow” money from someone with no intention of paying it back.

She also opened a birthday card that was meant for me from a friend and took gift money out and spent it.

My mother asked to borrow £300 towards a car, however when I asked for the money back she said “I’ve got an enough money”, “I wanted her to have the car”, and “you can use the car for driving lessons”.

I’m worried they feel “entitled” to money from me because I’ve done well in my job recently.

Seriously. Do you really need to ask if you're being used? Your family have stolen from you. Grow a pair and say no to any future requests. And tell your thieving sister if she ever steals from you again you'll report her.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can be someone's creditor or their friend but not both.
  • Malthusian wrote: »
    You can be someone's creditor or their friend but not both.
    I view it slightly differently, I treat money lent to friends as a gift, if I get I back it's a bonus, but I won't "lend" it unless I'm happy to gift it.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If its family, I would never loan as if there were issues giving it back, it would cause resentment and you can't change your family, so money would never be worth falling out over. However, I would only give them small amounts and if they ever asked for more, say that you don't like doing so.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 3:48PM
    Money and families eh. Can really cause falling out big time

Your situation doesn't sound too drastic, doesn't sound like you are tied in to anything, you aren't a guarantor or anything where they have got you by the balls (as such)

You can simply say no.

I don't think you are harming them, for a car, its hardly like they are starving if you say no - for example, or are desperate they are going to become homeless if you say no. The implications are very few for them if you say no - they will merely be able to afford less luxuries

In future, don't feel backed into a corner, get s response ready so you dont agree without meaning to - if they put you on the spot. You can always say ill have to think about it.

Then text later saying no. You don't really have to give a reason.

When it is family repeatedly mugging you off for money it can really cause strained relationships but really this situation seems like the word NO would put an end to it.

They might be grumpy with you about it, but tht is their problem not yours. In reality these are pretty minor amounts of money that they are asking for occasionally - they will learn to get by without it

I have had problems myself with this scenario, and whilst i am all for helping family or anyone else when they are down on their luck and need it - there comes a point where it starts having a negative impact on you if you continue giving and they arent helping themselves and you are going without so they can have luxuries
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes you are being used so I would not lend them money in the future especially as it was not critical. If they are not planning on paying you back then chalk it up to experience and at Christmas just say that they don't have to pay you back and don't bother getting them gifts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I view it slightly differently, I treat money lent to friends as a gift, if I get I back it's a bonus, but I won't "lend" it unless I'm happy to gift it.

That's fine and it means that you'll never 'lend' money you can't afford but that doesn't mean that family should see you as a cashpoint and keep asking whether for loans or gifts.

Can't help feeling this isn't for real or maybe OP is just very naïve.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 7:49PM

i completely agree with this - with friends and family I'd only "lend" money if I was happy not to get it back - and as I'm not rolling in dosh I would have to seriously consider the "lending" bit if anyone asked me. Luckily its not a situation I'm often put in.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You are behaving like a doormat and they are taking advantage of this and had no intention of paying you back.

Forget all previous debts, but NEVER lend them money again.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure