PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Fiesto88
    Fiesto88 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    chrissie83 wrote: »
    I feel like I’m officially ‘allowed’ to be in here now 😀
    We accepted an offer on our house almost 2 weeks ago, last week I sorted the mortgage in principle ( or whatever it’s called) & yesterday we had an offer on the house we want accepted. We have a FTB & are buying an empty chain free house so the estate agent asked if completing before Christmas would be ok. Although reading on here that doesn’t sound likely. How realistic is that do you think?

It’s do-able but any number of things could get in the way that you won’t really be able to do much about. If the searches or surveys turn up any expected surprises you’re at the mercy of the process of working things out.

The only thing you can really be in control of is making sure you know what’s happening at every point and not being afraid to push people. We had the blessing of being able to contact our vendor directly - and we lost at least four weeks waiting for their conveyancer to deal with simple things. Had they promptly answered our enquiries (it turned out there was nothing complicated about them), we could have completed six weeks after the offer was accepted. So my big regret was holding back on chasing at times through not wanting to pester the vendor.
  • Slight update from me, heard yesterday via the vendor’s estatenagent that my solicitor now has the draft contracts. I’m really impressed with the vendor’s EA - he seems very pleasant and efficient and isn’t one of the ‘hard-sell’ types which I find refreshing!
    So hopefully now my solicitor can get on with checking the contracts and dealing with the searches as and when they come back. I am told most come back within a few days as they are electronic however the local authority ones can take a couple of weeks. Ordered on 16th so I’m keeping everything crossed for exchange in a few weeks and completion before the end of November. Am I mad?! :rotfl:
  • amateur_house
    amateur_house Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 October 2017 at 12:04AM
    Natbag wrote: »
    This thread can be both a blessing and a curse for information, amateur house :rotfl:
    Was there a reason for the six-week gap between your offer being accepted, and the next step - I presume you were waiting for your purchaser to find somewhere?

You've reminded me, a timeline update is due I think. Looking a bit long now!

:

I don't have a house to sell (grown up children will continue to live in current house). I waited till the vendor had found a house before instructing the solicitor. Possibly a mistake, as I now feel pressured to get things moving. The estate agent phoned mid-September to say the vendor had another offer and they needed proof of funds to make the house SSTC, then the next day emailed to say they needed to move things forward due to their onward purchase. My mortgage offer runs out early December too, so I'm not feeling optimistic I will complete in time.

It sounds like you are coming to the end of a long process, have you got a date for exchange / completion yet?
  • I'm joining this thread but feeling like exchange is never going to happen. I'm buying off a couple who are moving into a new build and the company wanted a 28 thr n around on paperwork. They originally said they are aiming for completion by December 14th and according to estate agents are on track (fitting the kitchen currently) however they refuse to set a completion date or stats that the work will be finished by March when my mortgage offer ends. I'm a first time buyer and doing this on my own with a toddler in tow, feeling very stressed
    Sealed pot challenge 196
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't have a house to sell (grown up children will continue to live in current house). I waited till the vendor had found a house before instructing the solicitor. Possibly a mistake, as I now feel pressured to get things moving. The estate agent phoned mid-September to say the vendor had another offer and they needed proof of funds to make the house SSTC, then the next day emailed to say they needed to move things forward due to their onward purchase. My mortgage offer runs out early December too, so I'm not feeling optimistic I will complete in time.

It sounds like you are coming to the end of a long process, have you got a date for exchange / completion yet?

Ah, I see. I'm sure it will come together or hopefully your mortgage offer can be extended. Don't panic too much yet, you have another 5-6 weeks and a lot can happen in that time. We only found our current buyers 5 weeks ago.

It has been a long process overall, or at least it seems like it! We haven't got an official date, we are waiting for one last document but then everyone is waiting to exchange quickly and we are aiming to complete by this coming Friday due to the school holidays restricting time off work! It may not happen but if it does we are seriously cutting it fine. :eek:
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • Natbag
    Welcome Frugal! I think we all think that, it's such a long, drawn-out, frustrating process! If they've said December and they're currently on the kitchen, even with a big delay you should be fine for March, those houses go up and get finished pretty quickly so they can start turning a profit. They won't set a completion date until you're ready to exchange, but hopefully it won't be too long for you.
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
  • Week 8 starts today .....we are now talking about potential completion dates with our solicitor which is great news. Mid to end of November, so it fits with the average 12 week timeline by the look of it. Don't want to get my hopes up though!
    2020 wins: Twitter 14 Insta 6 Online entry 5 Raff 1
  • Thank you:) I'm trying to stay positive as I'm sure others have it much harder than I
    Sealed pot challenge 196
  • Natbag
    Thank you:) I'm trying to stay positive as I'm sure others have it much harder than I

It can be stressful, especially if you're selling and buying at the same time!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,693 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hmm, I've just had the MSE Credit Club email and it appears there have been NO searches at all, which means the building society haven't done a credit search yet :eek: Should I be worried?! MSE reckons my credit score is 980 so I assume not... but I would have thought they'd have gotten round to it at some point in the last 10 weeks! :eek:

Hey ho, another potential thing that can go wrong I suppose :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure